Chances of Nokia releasing last round of Nokia Lumias?

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
As what we all have known, (sobs) Nokia will be saying goodbye to us soon. Deep inside, I really hope to get the latest flagship "Goldfinger" as a Nokia device to replace my 620. What are your predictions guys?

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Even if MS has taken over Nokia until then, why shouldn't they release the phone? That would be a huge waste of development money.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
As what we all have known, (sobs) Nokia will be saying goodbye to us soon. Deep inside, I really hope to get the latest flagship "Goldfinger" as a Nokia device to replace my 620. What are your predictions guys?
by "nokia device" do you mean a device with the nokia logo on it? Because we will still get nokia phones except it won't say "nokia"

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
by "nokia device" do you mean a device with the nokia logo on it? Because we will still get nokia phones except it won't say "nokia"

Exactly - I hope to see NOKIA on top of the phone! I know they are still Nokia people Nokia engineers, but I really want the Nokia brand, for the old times' sake!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
My guess is Icon was the last branded Nokia Windows Phone. It's going to be close with 'Moneypenny', which is already making the rounds internally at Microsoft and Nokia, but I think it'll just miss the cutoff for the takeover of the HW division.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
^ Exactly my thought.

The deal will be completed at the end of Q1 2014 (tis April), thats when WP 8.1 will be announced and maybe when the Goldfinger and Moneypenny will be announced.

With the deal complete in April 2014, there's no chance any future Lumia will be Nokia branded.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they will release it, but will it have the Nokia brand? That's the question.

I'm thinking they will keep Nokia as the brand, much like Skype was. But I hope they change the Lumia name to something more universal and less cheesy. >_< I admit, saying Lumia sometimes is cringeworthy.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Will this hinder updates to existing "Nokia" branded phones like the 1520?

I actually think it will be the opposite. We wont have separate updates in the future like we do now. Instead of Amber and Black and GDR1,2,3, we'll just have OS and firmware updates straight from MS. And if you've signed up with the developer preview program, you would get them right away instead of waiting on the carriers.

Also, I agree with Daniel that the 1520, 1320 and Icon will probably be the last round of Nokia branded devices. With 6-8 weeks left until buyout completion, I can't see Nokia coming out with anything new within that short period of time.

SenneVc

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
It would be awesome if Microsoft let Nokia anounce and release their last Lumia,
so everyone knows it's the last one and we could collect the very last Nokia Lumia ;)

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Didn't MS get the rights to license the Nokia name for 10 years as part of the acquisition?

If my recollection is correct, there should be lots of Nokia branded handsets to come. If not then MS will be burning some cash for no benefit since that license certainly wasn't free.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the troublemakers at Nokia are going to squirt out that android phone before the sale is completed. Hope those losers have a safe job at Nokia and aren't going to Microsoft.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe there's a very plausible reason they called their latest flagship the Nokia Icon; it will be

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
*it will be a phone to symbolize Nokia with its last breath.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You guys are making way too much of this. What constitutes Nokia are the people that work there, their experiences, their expertise and their passion. Those people aren't going anywhere. Getting sentimental over the letters that are printed on a device seems very strange to me.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Brand name does wonders. Nokia was the Apple for some markets and again it can be.Lumias getting good attention from public but if it loses Nokia brand name, it might be a problem because not everyone knows that future Lumias are also crafted by those same engineers.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Brand name does wonders. Nokia was the Apple for some markets and again it can be.Lumias getting good attention from public but if it loses Nokia brand name, it might be a problem because not everyone knows that future Lumias are also crafted by those same engineers.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying brand names are unimportant. I understand that the casually interested smartphone consumer needs something to go by, and if you understand little about the technology itself, brand image is usually the next best thing. It's marketing. What I am saying is that it should be of little interest to the people who are interested enough to visit consumer tech forums on the internet. Don't all of us here know enough to make our decisions on more meaningful criteria than the letters on the box?

Last edited:

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You misunderstand. I'm not saying brand names aren't important. I understand that the casually interested smartphone consumer needs something to go by, and if you understand little about the technology itself, brand image is usually the next best thing. It's marketing. What I am saying is that it should be of little interest to the people who are interested enough to visit consumer tech forums on the internet. Don't all of us here know enough to make our decisions on more meaningful criteria than the letters on the box?

Actually you underestimated dumbness of people. Well, that's not a proper word, most of people don't even know which phone they're buying, all they know is Apple iPhone, Samsung Galaxy,Nokia Lumia. They don't even know such online forums exist. My friend wanted to buy a phone which must be having Subway Surfers and he never likes Samsung but trust Nokia since the beginning. Luckily that game is available on WP and he's happy with that awesome Lumia 1320 otherwise he would have stuck with some grand or micromax canvas. This is the reality, we tech enthusiasts do browse forums like wpcentral but not all we can't expect them to. I'm still waiting for wp8.1 update then I'll sell my Nexus 4 and would buy new Lumia within no time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
My guess is Icon was the last branded Nokia Windows Phone. It's going to be close with 'Moneypenny', which is already making the rounds internally at Microsoft and Nokia, but I think it'll just miss the cutoff for the takeover of the HW division.

And how about the development of Goldfinger, Daniel? But wouldn't Goldfinger and Moneypenny be released together? Like 920 and 820? And rumor says Goldfinger will be the flagship, why did they not develop Goldfinger first? It confuses me.
Maybe the naming of Lumia Icon represents that it will be the last icon of Nokia, which disappoints me because its only exclusive to Verizon and that last Nokia phone will probably not come to Singapore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss