OTG Support

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Like in On The Go USB support?

I think that's what they mean. I don't see the point. I had it on my N8. I used it once out of curiosity. Some people have other ideas of use though. Like hooking up a USB hard drive to their phone and using it as a media player, which some did with the N8. Not sure that WP would do the same thing though since it doesn't have a HDMI output.

vinrulez

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I think that's what they mean. I don't see the point. I had it on my N8. I used it once out of curiosity. Some people have other ideas of use though. Like hooking up a USB hard drive to their phone and using it as a media player, which some did with the N8. Not sure that WP would do the same thing though since it doesn't have a HDMI output.

Hey usb on the go feature is embedded in the snapdragon s4 chip,just needed a os link between the chip,like they bring the fm radio in the gdr2 update, Please vote for this feature in Windows Phone suggestion Box here, Need USB ON-THE-GO (OTG) in Windows Phone – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Pls refer the following figure for clarification http://i.imgur.com/ckHPtAa.jpg

tjecco

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I both had N8's for a couple of years. We never took the USB to go cable out of the box, but I can see people wanting it as an option to play with.

It's kind of like the HDMI out on the N8. I used it once. My wife never used it. I played with the DLNA a couple of time, but my wife uploads all of our pictures to Flickr.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a need for it either. I think it's more about having something else to use/try out/play with.

It's not a play with thing. I know why people want it because they want the expanded memory requirements that they're not getting with a L920 etc that doesn't have an SD card. People feel they should have every storage option available to them. Main reason being is that they want to be able to access every file they ever owned and get files on to their phones in other ways besides using a computer or cloud or bluetooth. We'll soon have direct WiFi but that doesn't seem to be on people's minds, they still want the old way to do things.

It's really this issue of advance technology being used in areas where the infrastructure doesn't support it. So there's always a backward thing that people seem to always want. No SD Card, must have UOTG. Must have file manager. Must be able to transfer large files over bluetooth. Must be able to support any video/audio formats. Etc... this is the reality of technology today. :/

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
USB OTG is not just about add flash drives. Some ppl like to add external USB keyboard and mouse. Some like to add a game pad etc. Without USB OTG, it is not possible. If I'm not mistaken, there will be HID support in WP8.1. So add USB OTG support for peripheral devices shouldn't be that hard. However, flash drive will be an separate issue as the usage of the SD card today is still quite limited. Without a File Manager (another hot topic), it will be very hard to see much usage of USB flash drive.

In fact, stock Android OS doesn't have USB OTG flash drive access either (specifically, it allows you to plug in but will not mount the drive automatically). It leaves OEMs and 3rd party apps to bridge that gap.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
USB OTG requires a Micro-AB socket, so even if it is in WP 8.1 you will never see it on any current devices because they only have Micro-B. USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, you don't. All you need is a OTG cable or adapter. Android phones have this for years. Nothing new.

And Micro-AB socket is a big mistake. Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet uses this and cause a lot of confusions about which way the microUSB plugs in and cause bend pins and ultimately failed tablet for many. On top of that, you still need a OTG cable which by all means only comes with a standard micro-B USB plug, probably because there is no device other than Dell Venue 8 Pro comes with Micro-AB port.

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, that's incorrect.

To be USB-certified with OTG, you must have a Micro-AB socket. USB-IF is very specific about their certification criteria. This is also the case for an adaptor cable: for an OTG cable to be USB-certified you must use a Micro-A plug according to the MicroUSB1.01 standard.

The fact that there are phones and cables around that don't respect this is not a reason to not use the standards, and any devices from high profile companies like Nokia that are released will use a proper Micro-AB socket (like they did for the N8).

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with that. I mean it is extremely hard to find any cable using Micro A. All Android phone released today from Samsung to Google Nexus only come with MicroB port and still support OTG (certified or not). All USB OTG Cable on the market are Micro B. It is a de facto market standard. And to claim that without Micro-AB port you won't see USB otg support is certainly not correct. All you need is OS software support. The chipset already support it. And there is plenty of cable, certified or not, out there that supports OTG on micro B port.

I suspect the reason why no one ever bothered with Micro-A is due to the fact that it is very easy to plug in the plug the wrong way and damage the connector due to the rectangular shape of the port. With micro B, you can't physically fit the plug any other way.

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Regardless, I doubt you will ever see a Windows Phone with OTG that doesn't have a Micro-AB. Samsung and Google seem to think they can do whatever they want, but Nokia and Microsoft like to do things the right way.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think Dell learnt a hard lesson by doing thing the right way. Too many returns/repairs due to damaged port. USB OTG is going to happen, without the stupid micro-A port.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If you use your phone just for facebook that doesn't mean everybody does and you dont need anything else.
More features - always better. I had an N8 and I know how cool OTG can be. I would really love support for it in the newer WP8.x devices.

But yes, current phones would never have it even if MS pushed out a feature that enabled USB OTG (because of the AB socket, as mentioned above).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo