OTG Support

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I know how it works. Still don't see a need.
So, because you don't have a need for a feature, other people shouldn't get to use it either? I will never understand what on Earth is wrong with people like you.
>BUH BUH BUH THERE IS NO NEEEEED!!!1one!
People making stupid excuses like this for everything is why WP is still lacking features that were in smartphones years ago.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but I'm not voting for that feature. I don't see the need for it.

I agree. It's a neat feature, and I used it on my Galaxy Note 10.1 a couple times; and though it worked well, I just couldn't see a real reason to have this capability (other than to say, "See what I can do!"). Especially with the capability to upload to cloud services like OneDrive, Drop Box, etc. It's a niche capability that only is useful if you are transferring gigabytes of data at a time. If I need to upload or download that much data, then I just plug in to my PC using USB and download/upload the files needed. If I need to give somebody a file like a Word document or such, then I can just email it. Otherwise, save it to my OneDrive and access it via my PC as needed.

I'm not going to vote for it either. Nor am I going to vote against it. If MSFT ultimately adds USB OTG capability to WP8.1 then cool. Otherwise... meh...

Last edited:

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It's a neat feature, and I used it on my Galaxy Note 10.1 a couple times; and though it worked well, I just couldn't see a real reason to have this capability (other than to say, "See what I can do!"). Especially with the capability to upload to cloud services like OneDrive, Drop Box, etc. It's a niche capability that only is useful if you are transferring gigabytes of data at a time. If I need to upload or download that much data, then I just plug in to my PC using USB and download/upload the files needed. If I need to give somebody a file like a Word document or such, then I can just email it. Otherwise, save it to my OneDrive and access it via my PC as needed.

I'm not going to vote for it either. Nor am I going to vote against it. If MSFT ultimately adds USB OTG capability to WP8.1 then cool. Otherwise... meh...
While I don't mean to say that you are wrong, I just want to tell that not everyone has the luxury of using cloud storage properly. It requires a fast internet connection which is simply not available in many places, so, cloud storage is not an option. Of course you can connect your phone to your PC, but where's the convenience? One thing which I do like about you is that you are not some of the people present here who feel that since they don't need a specific feature, so no one else should too.

Shomy Medic

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Regardless, I doubt you will ever see a Windows Phone with OTG that doesn't have a Micro-AB. Samsung and Google seem to think they can do whatever they want, but Nokia and Microsoft like to do things the right way.

In specification for Nokia Lumia 920 i see support for OTG, does that means there's usb Micro-AB or not?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I hope we get USB OTG and the File Manager SOON!
Because I'm getting my 1520 soonish (I hope around May 6th), and I don't want to suffer without them.

Just today I reminded myself how much I actually use BOTH of those features.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
In specification for Nokia Lumia 920 i see support for OTG, does that means there's usb Micro-AB or not?
No. Micro-AB has a square socket like this
320px-USB_Micro-AB_receptacle.jpg
Wile majority of smartphones, including 920, has a socket like this:
200px-USB_Micro_B_receptacle.svg.png

Attachments

• USB_Micro-AB_receptacle.jpg
    USB_Micro-AB_receptacle.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 12

Rafael Sol Maker

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Since File Manager is already in progress and could be in the 'final' release of the Windows Phone 8.1, hopefully we will see OTG support too soon. Or in some GDR.

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I think we'll see both OTG and the File Manager in the final release of WP8.1.

Because some guy said that he was testing WP8.1 and he saw both of those featuers but they somehow got dropped from the dev preview.

Now since we saw the File Manager on Belfiore's device, I think that build has access to OTG also. If it doesnt come with final 8.1, it'll come in a GRD fo' sho'!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use to have one of those OTG USB port plugs on my HTC One. I think I still got it somewhere. The One didn't have a sd card, so I kept my mp3's on it.

lyubomeer

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Guys, here's what I found. It's interesting that Nokia n=N8 for example supported OTG and they even sold the OTG cables from nokia. Nokia Adapter Cable for USB On-The-Go CA-157 - Nokia - Middle East and Africa

It's a shame that WP7.x and WP8 devices didn't have it built in from the very beginning. Im guess ing its because of OS limitations.. Let's hope in final release of 8/1 or at least in GDR1, we will se OTG. Not that I m using the function often, but would be awesome to have it.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to see otg come to wp. SD card is a must for me, only option for devices without sd capability would be otg. The 1020 would benefit greatly. I really hope this feature comes soon!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I cannot wait until the merge of Windows Phone and Windows RT is finished. There will be a blast of features coming to WP - simply spoken everything that is now working on RT but not on WP. Except the desktop mode because I think MS will kill the desktop in the future RT/WP version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs