Windows Phone 8 Battery Life Tips

Aswin Rajan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'd compiled a list of battery saving recommendations, and thought i could share it, and maybe make it even more comprehensive :)

These tips should help get acceptable battery life, even with moderate-heavy usage of your device.. Again how much, would vary from device to device - with a variety of factors such as hardware - screen, processor, network signal strength, app usage, camera, gps, etc

It takes a few recharge cycles before seeing decent life.. but here’s a few ways to extend this more..

• Enable the battery saver – this helps prolong life when battery is low.
  • Set screen brightness to automatic (you may want to select low first before setting it to automatic)
  • If you don’t use LTE/3G, or don’t download / browse on the move much, switch highest connection speed in mobile network settings to 2G/3G (lower).. You’ll see atleast a 30-50% increase in battery life.. Switching data off is an extreme way to further increase battery life, but isnt practical if you’ve got mail syncing etc on the move.. At home you always have wifi. Also whenever you need the extra speed you can switch to 3G.. just syncing email doesn’t need high speeds
  • Turn location off so apps don’t use GPS unless you’d want it to..
  • Increase mail sync frequency.. from as they arrive to 15/30mins.. I have this at 15mins. Gmail I’ve set to manual sync / 2 hours and hotmail to daily.
  • On the devices with an AMOLED display the screen pixels are off when it display black.. (so using black themes also helps conserve battery). A LCD display and consumes power for black and white
  • Close apps, and don’t let them remain in background if not needed.. Windows phone schedules background apps intelligently like ios.. so this is not a big impact.
  • Block background apps in settings > applications.. This prevents uneeded apps from running in background with push notifications etc even when they are off..
  • Reduce screen timeout to 1-3 mins..the lesser the better but can be annoying if the screen timesout while using the phone
  • Disable automatic upload of photos / videos.. (can always periodically enable this to sync data on phone, esp while on a wifi network.. since wifi is lot less power hungry than 3G)
  • Turn off connections not needed such as NFC, Bluetooth, XBOX Live (in game & music settings)
  • Turning off vibration can further extend battery life.. (I have this on, since I don’t keep the volume too high and tend to miss notifications while in noisy environments)
  • If you feel your device getting too hot, there’s possibly a process stuck and consuming processor cycles.. do a restart / soft reset – volume down+power held for over 8 secs to fix this
  • In wifi advanced settings > enable keep wifi on when screen times out to use wifi whenever available..rather than mobile data, and automatically connect to wifi. Also uncheck notification for new networks to conserve battery life scanning for new wifi networks
  • Display settings > enable battery saver brightness
  • Whatsapp is a heavy battery user.. In the early days having skype installed and facebook also used to cause battery drain.. but this is fixed now.. since I’ve not noticed any issues recently.. [Skype is always on.. meaning folks can call / im anytime just like whatsapp]
  • Glance screen settings – I have this set to peek .. you’ve an amoled so this shouldn’t take much battery anyways, but can always have this off.. I always found this feature kewl from my symbian days
  • Touch – I’ve got this set as high and double tap to wake enabled.. Disabling double tap and setting low sensivitiy can further extend battery.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I would rather switch off my phone to save battery :D
btw I don't tinker much , again all settings to default , wifi , gps , 3g and nfc always on and I get great battery life ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans