Why Windows 8.x is as it is ...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why Windows 8.x is at it is ...

One example Miller cited is multiple desktops, a feature in OS X and Linux, but still not built into Windows. Each time Microsoft conducted user tests on multiple desktops, casual users got confused, prompting the company to cut it.

Been using multiple desktops for years. Not sure what this dude is on about...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I have the somewhat unpopular opinion that it was an overall brilliant and bold move from Microsoft. I don't think most of the general tech press or tech forum user's "get it". You know, the ones that say install Linux every time MS gets bad press. Also, how long can you wait perfecting a product in this market? You'll be left in the dust going too cautious and never innovate.

It is a concept a little ahead of it's time. MS deals with this on most OS releases and the driver authors and hardware vendors never seem to be ready for the change. Apple was able to control that aspect.

In the modern world of computing average people should rule their devices and not the other way around. It's a tool to serve us and not enslave us to manuals to make us learn it's ways of doing things. As a developer I feel it's my responsibility to design for average people first (if that is my target audience). It's great to be able to develop a modern app on the desktop and run it on the same machine.

Oh and every time I hand my hybrid Win 8.1 system over to an average person I have one hell of a time getting it back.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

I think their mistake was in defaulting to Metro/Modern. That alienated their entire installed base of users who upgraded to 8.
When Apple introduced the exact same thing a few years ago, it was hailed as a brilliant opening move toward a possible future merging of Mac OS X and iOS (which now appears less than likely); the only difference was that it defaults to the same desktop that it always has, with the option to switch to the new, large icon, app-centric version of the OS interface.
With Apple, you are less likely to "accidentally" switch to the new view, whereas in Windows 8, there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to which environment I find myself in, and I'm constantly going back and forth in a frustrated state of mind. Granted, I don't use it every day.
Still, I think they should have just defaulted to what everyone already knew, with the option of going to the new interface at a click or a keystroke or a swipe. Their base of users who upgrade to Windows 8 is probably vastly greater than the number of people who are buying a PC for the very first time in the year 2012/13/14 and have decided to make it a Windows 8 machine, so they should cater to that group as they always have (until the Windows 8 debacle).

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Now that I'm used to it on an 8.1 touch system I like how easy it is to switch between the two. The desktop is treated like an app rather than the modern UI being treated like a program. If your first introductions is on a non-touch desktop it is going to feel weird. I even have a few "modern" apps that I like to use and will sometimes take the modern UI IE over the desktop.

I think on the apple side it's the other way around and they haven't developed their hardware to take advantage of the setup. Probably because they have focused on the iPad market. I suppose they will have an answer soon to the Surface Pro style systems.

I have a few servers that still have the Win 8 style, which now feel off to me and harder to use. Even though the changes to 8.1 were rather subtle it feels like a world of difference.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It goes like this........

How long before we can be rid of 32bit? or Flash? When will 64bit Flash be ready, completely?
Why can't Java just seriously go away for good?

Answer: Because it is not forced on people.
Change can sometimes be difficult, but not always for the worse. And Win8.x is not for the worse at all.
If everyone was relegated to using the Desktop by Default, trust me, You wouldn't see App development for Windows like we have.
The full blown integration of Windows across platforms is very innovative. Who else is doing this? Nobody.
If MS can pull this off, and I think they can. Andriod and Chrome are done. (They should be anyway, sorry, Chrome is garbage)
iPhone's and Apple haven't innovated anything since the iPhone first came out. it's old tech by today's standards. Yeah, a slight bit more polished in some areas, but they had how many years so far?

WP, Win8, Xbox and all, across laptops/desktops/tablets? And people do not call that innovative? Or can't get the concept?

Again, I have said for many years now, it's was time to get rid of 32bit and force 64bit Only. Yet here we are, still having 32bit stuff being developed.
That won't change till it is forced on the communities and dev's to change.

And there is nothing wrong with Win8 start screen, it is actually easier and better than the old Start Menu.
And if you have problems clicking or setting to go to Desktop, then you seriously need to get more help than anyone can provide.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is often guilty on the 64 bit front. They'll provide binaries that are often only available in 32 bit form. I've had to write things like that into separate services to keep my stuff 64 bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion