Everyone coming from Android

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, was inspired by the icon forum which has topic for people that came from Android. Thought maybe people would like to share here why they switched, how's it been and also give hints and tips for newcomers :)

I'm switching soon to wp from Android as I'm so tired of flashing different roms n kernels to make the phone maybe work.. And I like that nokia /ms competes against apple and android ^_^

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I am gonna do the opposite soon Windows Phone OS is a disaster and there clearly is no hope its lacking a TON of features and many many apps. Therefore I will be switching to Android pretty soon as I am fed up with the poor OS.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am gonna do the opposite soon Windows Phone OS is a disaster and there clearly is no hope its lacking a TON of features and many many apps. Therefore I will be switching to Android pretty soon as I am fed up with the poor OS.

You know WP8.1 will be out soon wich will make WP feature complete in comparision to iOS/Android without the lag of the latter.. Either way don't let the door hit ya where the lord split ya, toodeloe.

Sent from my iPhone 5s/Moto G with Tapatalk Pro

Kon Bick

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 and its camera made me switch operating systems. Also, I like the design of this OS and it's beautiful developed apps (if they are there) and were keeping an eye on WP since it started a few years ago. I think without Nokia and its relative success, I wouldn't be writing here now.

Moreover: I love Android for it's costumization possibilities...(this is essential for me!) and numerous apps. However, being with android for a little more than three years I just feel like change^^

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I do respect your opinion but it's so far from the truth.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

With that kind of attitude, I want to show you the door.

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Android is frustrating experience, not to mention only high end devices has TRIM support which causes every device without it to get slower and slower over the time, until you do factory reset.. First I liked the option to choose from 10 different keyboards, now it is that I would gladly take the one the OS offers me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Will go back to my nexus4 and wait for 8.1 to see if i can enjoy this OS more. I hate the browser and makes several sites impossible to browse..when i was using android i used my pc lesser and lesser, with wp8 its the opposit.

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
To everyone criticising me I really know most you hate the lack of features and apps down under its true, its just that may of you do not want to bring it out.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I love my windows phone I find it a lot more stable then my old Android while both of them were are sort of entry level (Nokia 620) The battery lasts 2 x as long on my Nokia and find everything works out of the box and I feel the windows platform is more secure because every app is vetted so in the end a lot less malware.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
To everyone criticising me I really know most you hate the lack of features and apps down under its true, its just that may of you do not want to bring it out.

That is your opinion, wich you have the right to have.

I was not happy before with WP8 in the beginning wich is normal i wasn't happy with Android on 2.3 > or iOS 4> in the early stages without many features featurephones had. But both major OSses had the time to grow and everyone had to use them because there was not many choice, with the WP8.1 update in sight to make the OS feature complete WP is final or on par with the other 2 also most major apps are available and other will folow quickly now WP will only gain users and apps faster. If you don't like it it is your choice. I use many other phones but i really like WP i have a iPhone 5s and Moto G and had a Lumia 1020 only sold it because i am waiting on a Lumia Icon in its international form aka "930", and i miss the use of WP like a mad man these days. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone 5s/Moto G with Tapatalk Pro

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to WP from Android. Quick question: is it possible to sync Google calendar and contacts? This would be the only thing holding me back.

Veloce91

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from Motorola Android to Samsung Ativ S Neo. Was interested in being able to sync with Outlook easier. With Android, instead of using Outlook calendar i used My Phone Explorer for calendar function between laptop and phone, and it worked fine. Now i find out that to sync Laptop Outlook calendar w/phone, i have to upload Outlook info to MSFT "cloud" via live account. Do not want to use cloud service.
Does anyone know of a calendar app for Windows Phone similar to My Phone Explorer, or some other way to sync via usb? If i can't find one today, the Ativ goes back and i switch back to Android. Not sure how MSFT did not think that this was important to its users.

Talk4Lig

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I switched from android because I had a Samsung galaxy ace 2. But they screwed up jelly bean update and the phone became unuseable. I was also tired of some ocassional lags on gingerbread and I was always a big fan of nokia and I really liked windows phone 8 os look and fluidity and also camera so I went for it and now it is the best phone I had (lumia 920)

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I gave WP a try about 9 months ago with a 920 coming from Android. Enjoyed lots of things, especially the hardware build quality, camera and MS Office integration, but at that point, there were some key apps either missing functions I used or totally unavailable. From what I can see now, this has improved substantially to point where I really don't see major app misses.

The other things I found lacking from my perspective:
- No notification center. I use this function all the time on Android and tiles just didn't give me the same granularity of information on one screen.
- No VPN. When I travel and use public WiFi, I always do it through VPN for security. This was big miss for me due to my business needs.
- Google vs MicroSoft. I use a lot of Google services and the ongoing battle between MS and Google makes this challenging. Nokia Here suite filled in some of gaps, but not all.

From everything I see, the 8.1 update would address all of my issues except the Google services integration. I'll be watching closely after 8.1 is released and may give WP another shot later in year.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I came to WP on a Lumia 920 from an iPhone 4s because I was tired of Apple just idling by and releasing new hardware and features that weren't improvements over anything they already had. I took a hard look at the apps that I actually use on the daily and WP had all of them, minus like 2-3 (which are now available like Pandora and Wells Fargo). Plus I found that I actually really like the larger screen from my 3.5" iPhone and the hardware was better. WP8 is missing some features which is being addressed with WP8.1 for me so I am very excited about it but for me it's not about having ALL the features for the sake of features. Plus I actually like the UI and UX.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)