Everyone coming from Android

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Will go back to my nexus4 and wait for 8.1 to see if i can enjoy this OS more. I hate the browser and makes several sites impossible to browse..when i was using android i used my pc lesser and lesser, with wp8 its the opposit.

My friend had same problem with wp stock browser. He found a fix by changing from mobile view to desktop :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
every single person doesn't read and has to ask... YES.

Edit: sorry, just a pet peeve

In the poster's defense, it's not a totally off the wall question. (Yes, it could be asked less often!) All WP8s CAN get 8.1, but I doubt they all will. There are 2 barriers between Microsoft and the (carrier branded) phone: the manufacturer and the carrier. However, the Developer Preview program takes care of that problem. But I doubt whether the vast majority of users knows about it, or even cares about updates. How many users ignore the update notification? We're probably a small subset that sits and mashes the Check for updates button.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Its a free world. Nobody can stop you to choose what you think is okay to you. Not all people are app centric you know.

I am gonna do the opposite soon Windows Phone OS is a disaster and there clearly is no hope its lacking a TON of features and many many apps. Therefore I will be switching to Android pretty soon as I am fed up with the poor OS.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
every single person doesn't read and has to ask... YES.

Edit: sorry, just a pet peeve
My apologies, I haven't been on this site, nor kept up with Windows Phone, since I had my Nokia Lumia 900 back in 2012.
In the poster's defense, it's not a totally off the wall question. (Yes, it could be asked less often!) All WP8s CAN get 8.1, but I doubt they all will. There are 2 barriers between Microsoft and the (carrier branded) phone: the manufacturer and the carrier. However, the Developer Preview program takes care of that problem. But I doubt whether the vast majority of users knows about it, or even cares about updates. How many users ignore the update notification? We're probably a small subset that sits and mashes the Check for updates button.
True, I am almost certain that not all will get WP 8.1. Being able to sync my Google calendar and contacts is a must for me though.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My apologies, I haven't been on this site, nor kept up with Windows Phone, since I had my Nokia Lumia 900 back in 2012.

I realize I've been a bit abrasive, sorry about that.
But its just the annoyance from the weeks up to and during Black's rollout where people would spam posts and threads about whether X device will be updated, not even bothering to search or read.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I switched mainly because performance on windows phone is much more consistent and smooth than my experience with android. My Lumia 520 is a little slower than the high end android (sony xperia) I had before especially in processor intensive tasks like loading web pages with loads of pictures. But its so much smoother and more consistent.
Secondly I like the design of the UI.
Thirdly I like Nokia hardware.
Regular official software updates is another positive which you don't get on android other than with Nexus (in my experience)

The biggest thing was the smooth lag free UI though.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I realize I've been a bit abrasive, sorry about that.
But its just the annoyance from the weeks up to and during Black's rollout where people would spam posts and threads about whether X device will be updated, not even bothering to search or read.
Hey, no worries it's okay! I used to see the same thing over on CrackBerry and Android Central when I would visit those sites. I am hoping that the Nokia Lumia 1020 will get WP 8.1 as I need Google calendar and contacts. I have always been a Nokia fan, and I look to return to using their phones.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Will go back to my nexus4 and wait for 8.1 to see if i can enjoy this OS more. I hate the browser and makes several sites impossible to browse..when i was using android i used my pc lesser and lesser, with wp8 its the opposit.
its not the browser, its bad html coding by the website. Instead of going cross platform they went webkit

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This says a lot you know, personally I have seen alot of great features on Android phone but the finished result is not that great, who would like to hard reset phones every 2 months, every 2 weeks the phone behaves like there is a virus eating it up, this problem is no where on the windows phone OS, that's the specialty of these phones, they don't five you the glamor and the makeup van but a peaceful home.
Android is frustrating experience, not to mention only high end devices has TRIM support which causes every device without it to get slower and slower over the time, until you do factory reset.. First I liked the option to choose from 10 different keyboards, now it is that I would gladly take the one the OS offers me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an icon today and so far I'm liking it pretty well. I do have a feeling it will grow on me over time. Coming from android the main reason for the switch was picking up a surface2 when it was released. I'm starting to like the new windows so figured I get a phone to compliment the surface. Android was getting a little tiring, always tweaking something, endless tweaking it seemed and while fun it gets tiring eventually. Gonna give windows a shot.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm 9 months in from my switch from Android. I'll never go back to Android. The performance of the Windows Phone OS is just so much better, faster, simpler, and convenient. I love the built-in features like Live Tiles, Office, OneNote, OneDrive, and Xbox gaming.

gillboyzz

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to WP from Android. Quick question: is it possible to sync Google calendar and contacts? This would be the only thing holding me back.

Yes you can if you have been using Google active sync in the past. For me it works flawless but for some it doesn't

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site

How does the developer preview program take care of this, and how cab someone whose not a developer under contract take advantage of this? I am very suspicious that AT&T isn't going to update the 920.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can if you have been using Google active sync in the past. For me it works flawless but for some it doesn't

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk

The way I understand this is because I used Exchange Active Sync on my Nokia Lumia 900 and iPad in the past, If I were to get the Nokia Lumia 1020, I'd still be able to use Exchange Active Sync. Is this understanding correct?

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Started with wp7, then wp8
got frustrated by lack of apps
HTC one - android, but never stopped following wp8 news since i simply love the OS
will most likely return to wp in another year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb