Everyone coming from Android

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
How does the developer preview program take care of this, and how cab someone whose not a developer under contract take advantage of this? I am very suspicious that AT&T isn't going to update the 920.
Anyone is allowed to sign up to be a developer even if you have no intention of creating an app. Download the preview app. A link will take you to a site where you can register as a developer. Then you will get advanced preview of the next update. I did it with GDR3. There is no guarantee that 8.1 will get a preview though, at least I don't think so.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

ccaballero

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to WP from Android. Quick question: is it possible to sync Google calendar and contacts? This would be the only thing holding me back.

As a matter of fact, you don't need to wait for WP8.1 to sync Google calendar and contacts. WP8 already supports calDAV and cardDAV (Google's sync protocols for calendar and contacts)

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Um.. with the recent news that windows phone can be ported on android devices.. if the OEM allows.. not sure what ill do :/
Wouldnt mind a windows phone OS inside my HTC one

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
My apologies, I haven't been on this site, nor kept up with Windows Phone, since I had my Nokia Lumia 900 back in 2012.

True, I am almost certain that not all will get WP 8.1. Being able to sync my Google calendar and contacts is a must for me though.

as mentioned above by ccabellero, caldav and carddav are already supprted. In the sync settings for gmail, ensure that syncing for calendar and contacts is enabled.

chrisnx

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Switching soon as well, from Android.
Got the HTC One S, but damn it, i hate the instability of the system, some apps aren't available because of the lower system f. ex. gingerbreat doesn't get threema. i'm glad and excited for the journey with my upcoming Lumia 1520. (ordering it the next week ;) )

some apps i am really missing:
threema, i emailed them and they haven't planed yet to build an app.
fotball scores app? Soccer Livescores? is this good?
offline translator?
gentle alarm from mobitobi
PVStar+ (youtube player, where you can put screen off and it only loads the audio) heard that mytube can do this as well?
psx emulator with openGL, for android i got fpse and i got the PSVita but some games are missing. =/ That would be freaking awesom, the cherry of the cake, not getting wrong here :)

do you know some good alternatives for my favourites?

btw one question, since file picker IS coming:
am i seeing it correctly that i am not able to upload for example pictures threw IE?

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I think for football, soccer scores the Bing Sports app would work well though I don't use it.
Offline translation: Translator by Microsoft is very good. Offline Language packs currently available: Russian, Norwegian, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese simplified to English.
Yes, mytube can play only audio with the screen off.

gillboyzz

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The way I understand this is because I used Exchange Active Sync on my Nokia Lumia 900 and iPad in the past, If I were to get the Nokia Lumia 1020, I'd still be able to use Exchange Active Sync. Is this understanding correct?

Yes..

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably answered but the way I can save my contacts to Google servers, can I do the same on wp? Incase someday have to wipe the phone or it does the iPhone trick to just wipe the contacts without asking ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably answered but the way I can save my contacts to Google servers, can I do the same on wp? Incase someday have to wipe the phone or it does the iPhone trick to just wipe the contacts without asking ;)

It syncs with Outlook.com contacts should you want that. (among other services including Google, right?)

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Aye just want my contacts to be safe on ms servers, where I can get them whenever I choose to :)

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
But as I understood, I need some 3dt party software to get my contacts from Google to Ms?

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Switched to WP from Android HTC One when the Lumia launched. So far I am very happy. All the little issues that make the OS less feature rich seem to be addressed in the 8.1 update this spring - at least the important ones.

The app store doesn't need more ... It needs more quality, attention to detail, refinement and apps that take better advantage of WP beautiful interface. Seems like a developer issue, however it is not confined to third party. Even Microsoft's own apps look better on Android with more capabilities and tighter refinement.

I think anyone coming from Android will be pleased of they have some patience.

richcerry1200

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Currently waiting on a Lumia 925, but decided to hold onto my Galaxy S3 until I'm truly sure I want to go full on Windows Phone.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
But as I understood, I need some 3dt party software to get my contacts from Google to Ms?

no, you don't need a 3rd party app to do it. Carddav is supported. Ensure that your sync settings for google account has contacts sync enabled.

mdlive

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to WP from Android. Quick question: is it possible to sync Google calendar and contacts? This would be the only thing holding me back.

You don't have t wait for 8.1. I came from Android a few months ago and had the same question. There are several 3rd party calendar apps that are very good and have Google Calendar support. I use Chronos calendar and it is very good. Regarding contacts, Nokia has an app called Transfer My Data. It works perfectly to transfer Google contacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs