WP 8.1 Dictionary-based on region?

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi
Over Windows Phone 7, 7.5 and 8 one of my bugbears is the annoying way the language settings are derived in Windows Phone.
Here in Australia, we use more UK English for spelling but use US English keyboard.

In Windows OS, We set Region as English Australia but keep the keyboard on English US to keep all the necessary keys we use (eg. $)

However in Windows Phone (prior to 8.1), we set all the settings in Language and Region to Australia, however because we use the US Keyboard and the dictionary is being selected using the Keyboard selection in WP, we still get the US dictionary, which is extremely annoying.

Is there any chance now that we're moving toward a more uniform OS (Windows/WindowsPhone), that we finally get Language and Region governing what dictionary is used I Windows Phone 8.1? Can anyone who has the SDK or latest developer tools check to see if this is finally changed? This would be great if it has!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's an interesting question.

By the way, I happen to have both UK and US English keyboards. If I'm using UK keyboard, long-pressing the ? key brings up other monetary symbols, including $. The same thing happens if I'm using the US keyboard and I long-press the $ key (I'll see other monetary symbols including ?).

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey Laura
You know that didn't even occur to me to do it that way... Perhaps I won't need to get as frustrated using your method. Clearly you're the smart one around here. :)Thanks for the suggestion and I'm trying it out now.

It would still be nice to have some uniformity across the OS's, perhaps when 'threshold' arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos