Cortana on iOS

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What do you think about Cortana being released as a Bing app on the iOS.? Obviously won't be as powerful as native integration on WP 8.1 but is it a great idea.?

Also, What do you expect from MSFT on the Cortana front.?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I hope they wont release it, if only because MSFT needs to focus 99% of its mobile operations on windows phone and the 1% that remains on bringing stuff over on iOS/android. Even they it could be used as something promotional...

If they release cortana on iOS i might just aswell buy an iphone again, because then i have alot of apps, siri, cortana and an completer OS.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope they wont release it, if only because MSFT needs to focus 99% of its mobile operations on windows phone and the 1% that remains on bringing stuff over on iOS/android. Even they it could be used as something promotional...

If they release cortana on iOS i might just aswell buy an iphone again, because then i have alot of apps, siri, cortana and an completer OS.

They will release It but likely limited functionality wise. More like Google now on IOS. It just shows info

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't quite understand why Microsoft would release Cortana on iOS. Siri is one of the defining features of iOS, so practically no one is going to use Cortana. I could see it being popular on Android, but then Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot by making a WP8.1 feature more popular on Android than it is on WP8.1

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there's some clever strategy in place here to do with 'services', but i personally think it's a bad idea to give the competitions platform things like this, limited or not. We need points of difference.

Apple and Google are hardly playing nice with Windows Phone are they, so i wouldn't bother, clever strategy or not.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there's some clever strategy in place here to do with 'services', but i personally think it's a bad idea to give the competitions platform things like this, limited or not. We need points of difference.

Apple and Google are hardly playing nice with Windows Phone are they, so i wouldn't bother, clever strategy or not.

I'd say it's mostly google not playing nice with anyone else.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's mostly google not playing nice with anyone else.

and Apple doesn't even play with others.

They seem to have forgotten their (old) motto of 'don't be evil'

kinda not liking it. seems everything becomes evil once on top. We need to knock em down a few notches to return them to their open and more accommodating nature like MS as of now. (compare anti-trust MS and MS today)
(google using open standards, now killing gvoice clients and closing hangouts)

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
What do you think about Cortana being released as a Bing app on the iOS.? Obviously won't be as powerful as native integration on WP 8.1 but is it a great idea.?

Also, What do you expect from MSFT on the Cortana front.?

I could see where this is a great idea. Google got a lot of information from iOS users that helped them make their mapping much more precise. The more users the service has the better it will perform. MS could of course retain some of these improvements for itself, or release revisions on WP ahead of other OSs.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Cortana should be a platform (and operating system) for emerging smart devices, i.e. wearables, appliances, smart TVs, cars and other 'internet of things' devices.

Making Cortana ubiquitous across these devices could allow for (1) de-facto support for Windows Phone, Windows and Xbox and (2) an actual use-case for a Cortana app on iOS and Android. For example, in order to make full use of a smartwatch I need to tie it the Cortana app on my iPhone/Galaxy.

Of course, these are short-term achievements, making Cortana the springboard for development on these new systems can cement for Microsoft a dominant position in the 'internet of things' world. In other words, more developers working with Microsoft tools and languages.

Why should this be the route? Imagine buying smart furniture, e.g. desk for your office and mirror for your bathroom, and having the option of having it loaded with Cortana instead of Chrome OS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos