Windows Phone and Facebook

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So ye! we are getting messenger for wp.

But wow that raises some questions.

Windows Phone 8.1 removes the unique Facebook integration in favour of stand alone apps.

Has it been confirmed that there's finally going to be an official Facebook application (made by Facebook that is)?
Has it been confirmed that this app is going to integrate into the people's hub and therefore giving us more functions that were previously missing in the hub?
Does that mean everytime Facebook app gets updated, the new feature gets added to the people's hub?
I have merged my phone contacts to their respective Facebook contacts, can that still be done?

Since there's no Facebook integration, there's not going to be a integrated Facebook chat.

Is the new messenger app its replacement?
I assume it can be integrated to the messaging hub feature of wp(answer to this too please!) (just like now), so group chats are going to be available?
And like Facebook app, each time it gets updated, the new feature is going to be present in the messaging hub?

I am just curious. While it doesn't bother me a lot, I just don't want wp to lose some of its amazing features.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So everything is leaked and not announced but from how I understand it, it will work like this:

the integration has been removed from the phone OS, and moved to your MS account. so you will link Facebook, twitter, etc to your Microsoft account, not to your phone. The deep integration of features like FB have been removed from the OS. However, apps will be able to "plug in" to certain parts of the OS. This will allow for the individual apps to be updated instead of only updating those features with an OS update. With a FB messenger app, we can now plug the FB massager into the regular messenger app so that features can be updated in the app and reflect in the OS, instead of needing to update the OS itself.

An example is group FB chats not showing in the messenger app right now. To get that to work they need to update the FB integration with an OS patch (that needs to go through carrier approval, etc). But now they can add it into the FB messenger app and it will plug into the messenger app and when new features or changes on FB's backend happen, they can just update the app in the store and not worry about carriers or anything like that.

This is not 100% but from what I understand this is how it will work now (feel free to correct me if im wrong but im hoping im not too off since this makes the most sense I feel).

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
yes as it is rumoured one will be able to set default application for messages in windows phone 8.1 update , so I believe this application can take place as a default/standalone application for one to use ; it will have all the Facebook messenger functions with basic core messaging too ;)

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am going to like this method because not everyone likes fb, and like this can choose which app will integrate into the OS and which won't. Seems like it will be a much better system.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz