Email account dificulties

Bob Hawkins

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I set up my email account using 'advanced setup', entering the correct POP3 incoming and outgoing server details and password. Now I am informed 'Attention required' and that my 'account info is incorrect'. While the incoming server details are OK and mail arrives, the smtp server details (when I can access them after powering down and back up) display a 16-character password when mine is six. Re-entering the correct password has no effect. More frustrating is the fact that deleting the email account through holding a finger over it and setting up a new account again produces the same result. Furthermore, I do not understand how, having deleted the account, my name is present in the 'Your name' box when setting up the account again.
I do not know whether there is a connection, but I see that my Microsoft account password displays as 16 characters long, also, when it should be eight as I entered it.
I should appreciate any thoughts or assistance.

Janda45

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Try to soft-reset your device. Delete the email accounts you have set up that aren't working correctly beforehand. Re-enter the correct email settings for your POP3 account. Mine took a few minutes before it really started working correctly and I've since created the Outlook.com setup via the Hotmail Connector and it is working properly. I did have a few emails arrive to my PC that disappeared on the Lumia 1020 later that day but I hadn't deleted - this is something I'm going to monitor.

The WP8 system isn't perfect and there are strange bugs individual users will encounter. I feel that most of those are user-related, though, including mine. It takes some investigation and work to determine what those are specifically but the phone seems to be working better for me every day. I just wish Blackberry would come out with a better device with the old trackball and I'd be there. Best phone system I've ever used and I've had all four now.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I set up my email account using 'advanced setup', entering the correct POP3 incoming and outgoing server details and password. Now I am informed 'Attention required' and that my 'account info is incorrect'. While the incoming server details are OK and mail arrives, the smtp server details (when I can access them after powering down and back up) display a 16-character password when mine is six. Re-entering the correct password has no effect. More frustrating is the fact that deleting the email account through holding a finger over it and setting up a new account again produces the same result. Furthermore, I do not understand how, having deleted the account, my name is present in the 'Your name' box when setting up the account again.
I do not know whether there is a connection, but I see that my Microsoft account password displays as 16 characters long, also, when it should be eight as I entered it.
I should appreciate any thoughts or assistance.

On my phone the PW is also always shown as 16-digit, eventhough I only have 10 digits. It is normal I guess.
It also always hides the password even if you check "show password".

Although that has nothing to do with your mail not syncing.
Make sure you indeed have a connection.

Also, did you try WITHOUT advanced settings ?? Because MS mail normally is setup automatically by simply going to email+accounts, choosing "outlook", and then entering username and pass.
I never had to use advanced settings for setting up my outlook mail.

Bob Hawkins

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Janda45
I had already tried a soft reset. I did it again, making sure that I deleted the account in case I had not done that previously. I regret it did not make any difference.
genuine555
My ISP is Waitrose. I figured, therefore, that I should have to use 'other account' at least from the list under 'ADD AN ACCOUNT'. That, however, asks me to 'sign in;' after filling in the email address and password, then declares 'We couldn't find the settings for the account information you entered. That is why I went to 'advanced setup'. So I tried 'Outlook' as you suggested but that returns 'Check your information and try again.'
I should reiterate: it only appears to be the outgoing details that are failing - mail comes in OK.
I thank you both for trying to help.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Janda45
I had already tried a soft reset. I did it again, making sure that I deleted the account in case I had not done that previously. I regret it did not make any difference.
genuine555
My ISP is Waitrose. I figured, therefore, that I should have to use 'other account' at least from the list under 'ADD AN ACCOUNT'. That, however, asks me to 'sign in;' after filling in the email address and password, then declares 'We couldn't find the settings for the account information you entered. That is why I went to 'advanced setup'. So I tried 'Outlook' as you suggested but that returns 'Check your information and try again.'
I should reiterate: it only appears to be the outgoing details that are failing - mail comes in OK.
I thank you both for trying to help.

It's no problem at all.

I see, it is your ISP mailbox. Then indeed you need "other account" because waitrose uses pop3. You also need those advanced settings to correctly configure in and outgoing mailserver. I also need it to set up my isp mailbox, so you were thinking correctly.

For waitrose I found following mailserver settings, but I guess you already know that :

AnswersThatWork's famous ISP List - Waitrose Incoming Mail POP3 server and Outgoing Mail SMTP server, and DNS settings
Your e-mail Address is username@waitrose.com

Outgoing (SMTP) Mail server: smtpmail.waitrose.com

Incoming (POP3) Mail Server: mail.waitrose.com

Your POP3 Login: username

Your POP3 password is the same as your login password.

Maybe you entered a wrong outgoing server ? It should be "smtpmail.waitrose.com".

Other than that, I can't see anything wrong, so you might have to contact waitrose support.

Hope the above helps though.

Bob Hawkins

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
genuine555
I thank you for your constructive reply. However, the issue becomes a little muddied: the email I received states, "Maybe you entered a wrong outgoing server ? It should be "mail.waitrose.com"." The forum, itself, reads, "Maybe you entered a wrong outgoing server ? It should be "smtpmail.waitrose.com"."
I gleaned from a website late yesterday that the outgoing server details should be "mail.example.com", not "smtpmail.example.com". I doubted the instruction but it worked - I was able to send mail. However, I do not understand it. I have never had an instance previously where my outgoing server details are not smtpmail.waitrose.com. It raises questions: how does a person know that is what should be entered; and why?
I spent most of yesterday battling to find a solution. I hope the information might be of help to others.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Call your ISP, ask their correct smtp server name. Also ask if they allow send email from a mobile phone, a device that do not access internet from your ISP. Some ISP have no outside network access policy, only allowing webmail interface.

Bob Hawkins

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
pdaneophyte
This is interesting. I called Waitrose, my original ISP. I changed to Plusnet two years ago but pay a small monthly fee to Waitrose to retain both my and my wife's email addresses which bear their name. According to Waitrose Technical Support, I should use the Waitrose address for the incoming server but a Plusnet address (now given to me) for the outgoing server. However, I shall leave the existing setup on my phone well alone until it ceases to work.

Janda45

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a pop3 setup on my WP8. I use smtpout.secureserver.net for my outgoing server. I wonder if you tried smtpout instead of smtpmail you might have better success? I can't believe that you're the only user of that mail system on a WP...Wish I could help more!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs