Concerns on the direction of Windows Phone...

trmnrs

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I just recently read the article about Facebook Messenger coming to Windows Phone and I thought to myself, "why couldn't we just update the integration on Windows Phone instead of creating a brand new app?" I loved how seamless it was to switch from a Facebook message to a text in the same app, and I was hoping this functionality could be expanded so third parties could integrate their apps into messaging as well. Kind of unlikely, but I can dream.

If that isn't an option, I hope we still have the "switch" option so we can easily get to different methods of messaging them within the app, like we do through viewing the contact. I know it's simple enough to open the contact and choose an option through there, but I like options.

Long story short, Windows Phone is starting to become extremely similar to Android and iOS. For an average consumer, there isn't much difference between the two now, in terms of ease of access or features. With the tight integration being stripped away for third party apps it really seems like their "get in, get out, and get back to life" slogan is a thing of the past. Especially with the camera button hardware requirement being taken away, and other manufacturers *coughSAMSUNGcough* using design elements from Windows Phone in their Android hardware, there isn't much to differentiate anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Windows Phone. Nokia makes amazing hardware and the Windows ecosystem is (almost) flawless, but does anyone else feel like Microsoft is losing its vision of Windows Phone and falling into peer pressure a little too much? Or is that just me? :straight:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we'll know definitely yet at this point exactly how this is going to work. It's possible that it still might be integrated into the OS, but maybe a little differently. I'd say it's best to wait and see how it works once 8.1 is released.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
There are rumors of 3rd party apps "plugging" into the OS in 8.1. For eg. The facebook app can be "plugged" into the peoples hub to show status updates and notifications. These are just rumors though, so don't get your hopes up high.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I just recently read the article about Facebook Messenger coming to Windows Phone and I thought to myself, "why couldn't we just update the integration on Windows Phone instead of creating a brand new app?" I loved how seamless it was to switch from a Facebook message to a text in the same app, and I was hoping this functionality could be expanded so third parties could integrate their apps into messaging as well. Kind of unlikely, but I can dream.

If that isn't an option, I hope we still have the "switch" option so we can easily get to different methods of messaging them within the app, like we do through viewing the contact. I know it's simple enough to open the contact and choose an option through there, but I like options.

Long story short, Windows Phone is starting to become extremely similar to Android and iOS. For an average consumer, there isn't much difference between the two now, in terms of ease of access or features. With the tight integration being stripped away for third party apps it really seems like their "get in, get out, and get back to life" slogan is a thing of the past. Especially with the camera button hardware requirement being taken away, and other manufacturers *coughSAMSUNGcough* using design elements from Windows Phone in their Android hardware, there isn't much to differentiate anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Windows Phone. Nokia makes amazing hardware and the Windows ecosystem is (almost) flawless, but does anyone else feel like Microsoft is losing its vision of Windows Phone and falling into peer pressure a little too much? Or is that just me? :straight:

I think this is happening for easier facebook messenger updates. Now we don't have to wait for an OS update in order to get facebook chat updated. Just like the new Xbox music and video app. And like irtiza said, its rumored that facebook can be plugged into (didn't have the right words either) the people hub

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
but does anyone else feel like Microsoft is losing its vision of Windows Phone and falling into peer pressure a little too much? Or is that just me? :straight:

Yes. I completely agree. Hubs are going away before MS ever got around to making integration viable. Integration of further services directly into the OS is also being put on hold, instead being replaced with individual apps. Neither of these concepts evolved since WP7, and neither was ever even half finished, so it's no surprise that they didn't quite yet work the way MS envisioned. Unfortunately, we'll never know how good this could have been.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I completely agree. Hubs are going away before MS ever got around to making integration viable. Integration of further services directly into the OS is also being put on hold, instead being replaced with individual apps. Neither of these concepts evolved since WP7, and neither was ever even half finished, so it's no surprise that they didn't quite yet work the way MS envisioned. Unfortunately, we'll never know how good this could have been.

But if the "integrate apps with hubs" rumor is true, wouldn't it be an upgrade to what is currently available? I don't see Microsoft abandoning the concept of hubs, it's kinda making it more practical. I rarely used the people's hub as I couldn't like or reply to comments ,tag friends,etc. If I get that and newer functionality in the Hubs, even if it replaces the baked-in features with a third party app, I'd be a happy man.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm have a wait and see attitude, but yes, I would've liked the hub concept to be fully realized. I love my group contacts pinned to my home screen!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
When WP7 appeared, integrated messaging and social networking apps were popular on Android and iOS. I remember seeing a lot of Microsoft adverts at the time promoting the feature, and I was unimpressed as my Android phone already had a similar app built in, and many more were available from the app store. They don't seem to be used much now - I guess they were a fashion that came and went (for some good reasons) and Microsoft have recognised this.

The problem is that messaging services differ, and many such as Facebook continually change things and add new features. It's hard for a generic app to integrate them all in a satisfactory way, and keep up with the latest developments.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A basic chat system, however, needs no new features. It just needs to reliably send and receive messages. Simples. Finally the MS built in chat is working, and working well. No need to get rid. If they want to bring in another chat app they can but that won't include SMS so the built in system must remain. No need to strip out the Facebook chat feature of the built in system after all those months and months of work and effort by MS to get it reliable. Instead, why not focus on things that don't work well or are not often used? Don't fix what ain't broke.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that messaging services differ, and many such as Facebook continually change things and add new features. It's hard for a generic app to integrate them all in a satisfactory way, and keep up with the latest developments.

This is also why 1st party apps are important. Yes, 2nd or 3rd party apps can have more features, but generally 1st party apps will be more reliable.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't see Microsoft abandoning the concept of hubs, it's kinda making it more practical.

Well, instead of writing walls of text myself (I'm lazy), I'll just link this. I suspect we're just not talking about the same thing.

Yes, that is the well understood technical reasoning for it. I think that is true for some services, but not for all. IM apps are just one example where MS just had to redraw the line between what is app controlled and what is OS controlled. I would have expected such apps to integrate with the OS messaging app as well as provide their own full UI. Instead they dropped it completely.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is the well understood technical reasoning for it. I think that is true for some services, but not for all. IM apps are just one example where MS just had to redraw the line between what is app controlled and what is OS controlled. I would have expected such apps to integrate with the OS messaging app as well as provide their own full UI. Instead they dropped it completely.

Providing access to the same information in different ways on the same device - is that really user friendly? If Samsung did it on an Android phone, I suspect people here would laugh.

To be honest, I think the integrated messaging/chat/etc is solving a problem that doesn't exist for most people. On my PC, and my iPad, I have to use different apps to access e-mail, Facebook, Skype chat, MS Communicator chat, etc. I don't find it a problem. I even prefer it - I use the different communication channels for different purposes, and prefer to keep them separate. The same goes for photographs. I don't really want the pictures I have taken with my camera integrated with pictures from Facebook, Flickr, etc (many of which will just be duplicates).

I accept that not everyone is the same as I am, and others will no doubt have different opinions. However, for me, integrating services like this is a nice 'technology demo', but not that useful in the real world. It's also not a unique feature of WP, so if it's important to you, other options are available.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Providing access to the same information in different ways on the same device - is that really user friendly? If Samsung did it on an Android phone, I suspect people here would laugh.

I agree. Integrating Facebook, e-mail, Skype chat and MS communicator is definitely taking it way to far.

What I think would be reasonable is integrating Skype chat, Facebook chat, Viber, SMS/Texting, MMS and WhatsApp messages (as examples) into one app. I wouldn't view this as presenting the same information in different ways, but rather the opposite. It's presenting the same type of content in a unified way. I see no reason to consult different apps for text/audio/video messaging. In fact, I think an argument can be made that this is what the notification centre on Android and iOS achieves (at least partially, and amongst other things), but it integrates far more than just IM's, which might be considered taking it too far...

Note that I'm not advocating that these services be integrated and shipped with the OS. I'm advocating only that it would make sense for some services to have the ability to plug into the OS, so as to present their content in a unified way, after the corresponding app was installed.

Unfortunately, an internet forum isn't the best medium for discussing such issues that would require a lot more detail... hope it's somewhat clear anyway.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think if Microsoft makes it compulsory for each app dev to somehow enter a string of code to classify their app into IM, Social Network, Photography, Office/Productivity, Communication etc.

If it chooses say Contacts, IM and photography, it appears hooked in respective OS bits. Like Skype does right now.

Then based on that, apps should automatically hook into these hubs. That would preserve WP vision and keep it easy to update via store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans