Uservoice: Cortana worldwide release

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Created a user-voice, hopefully it will get the attention of Microsoft. Trying to get them to give us a worldwide release of Cortana in april, rather than just releasing to the US only. Please vote, and hopefully they will listen to us!
Cortana virtual assistant worldwide release – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Thanks guys, and looking forward to 8.1, cortanta or no cortana. (Won't be as nice without her though)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Created a user-voice, hopefully it will get the attention of Microsoft. Trying to get them to give us a worldwide release of Cortana in april, rather than just releasing to the US only. Please vote, and hopefully they will listen to us!
Cortana virtual assistant worldwide release – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Thanks guys, and looking forward to 8.1, cortanta or no cortana. (Won't be as nice without her though)

I wholeheartedly support this, though there's just one problem: when will WP8.1 truly be released?

We only have a date for the unveiling, not the actual release date.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Stupid post. How do you know they are only releasing in the US? There have been 15 languages leaked from the SDK. Don't moan before it's released.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not, this is a terrible idea! I'm not just saying that because I live in the US either. Maybe if this was brought to their attention two or three years ago, maybe it would be possible. It's already coming to 15 regions. If you want Cortana to be like Siri, then sure release it worldwide. But everyone I know that used Siri when it came out admitted it sucked and doesn't work right. It still isn't too great, but it is much better than people make it out to be. Siri's reputation was tarnished from a bad experience at launch. Cortana CAN NOT be like that.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Can't see the point of releasing it for the US alone. Even if all 10 US Windows Phone owners use it, it seems like a lot of effort for very few customers. Better to release a product that needs polishing to everyone than a polished product for a handful of customers.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it's true, but I read that the leaked language files were fake. Either way, even if English is the only supported language now, there's no way they would be able to change this by the time 8.1 launches. It just takes too much time.

So while this isn't a horrible idea, even if you did get their attention and MS wanted to add more language support, they couldn't even if they tried.

EzraWard

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure they will be rolling it out as they can. Getting all the languages working, etc, is a huge undertaking. Even Siri is only working in 8 languages.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I thought the initial reports indicated US only, but then those articles were updated to say that it would be linked to if a country had various Bing Services, which Cortana hooks into.

*shrugs* Could be wrong. The info's probably out there.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

If it isn't scheduled for April worldwide, then it's not gonna be released worldwide no matter how much you beg for it or how many petitions you create. If it's not being released worldwide then it means that the hole thing isn't completed. Do you want them to release something that isn't completed or full of bugs? No way they are going to finish their work in less than a month just because there is an online petition. These things take time. No matter how big a team is or how many hours they work in a day, some stuff can't just be competed in a few weeks.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
There should at least be a full featured world wide English release, but what's the betting it'll still be US only despite English already being complete? Good odds, I suspect. I hope I'm wrong but...

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
There should at least be a full featured world wide English release, but what's the betting it'll still be US only despite English already being complete? Good odds, I suspect. I hope I'm wrong but...

I don't think language is the barrier with Cortana. WP already supports a number of languages.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see the point in proposing this, as I'm sure the end goal is to have the service available worldwide. They're not releasing to limited markets because they want to; they're doing it because they feel they need to. When it's ready to be released worldwide, it will be.

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to those talking about languages - I understand totally that they can't get every language done by release day. That would be a massive undertaking. What I meant was world-wide release with English support + whatever else they can manage - not every language for every region - Expansion of languages will happen with time.

Those of you saying that you'd rather they sent out a polished product region by region - Surely Microsoft can just add a disclaimer on the setting page saying 'Cortana is not fully supported in your region', when you go to enable, rather than not allowing use altogether? Adding an alarm clock or finding that 2+2=4 is not a region exclusive thing last time I checked.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The April release is a BETA ffs.

Start with a language you know, then role out to other languages. Expecting a beta in every language is retarded.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
this post is useless, it is like asking for current voice control(holding home/windows button) release for worldwide

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Its a lot more complicated than you'd think to release things like this in multiple countries. From languages to laws its easiest for MS to start in the US. It will probably let them get the software out earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes