So when can we port Wp8.1 on our android devices

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
You cannot port Windows Phone 8.1 to Android Devices. If so, please link the source article, I would love to read it. In my knowledge, Android Devices cannot run WP or iOS
If you are refering to the Nokia X, then please know that the X is running Android 4.4.2 Kitkat with a CUSTOM LAUNCHER. It is NOT running Windows Phone 8.1 . A smartphone cannot run 2 OS'es at the same time. Even dual boot, availible in certain smartphones, requires you to reboot the phone and then use the other OS
It is impossible to port Windows Phone to any device as Windows Phone is a closed source OS, hence the code is not availible to manipulate to make it run on other devices
This is coming from a long time Cyanogenmod User :smile:

Dnamb

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
We'll have to wait and see, after WP8.1 gets released. Microsoft did indicate that WP8.1 can be used more or less to recycle old android phones.

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as android hardware can load wp8.1, anyone know when we can start expecting ROMs for htc one, xperia etc?
Short answer is most likely never.

We'll have to wait and see, after WP8.1 gets released. Microsoft did indicate that WP8.1 can be used more or less to recycle old android phones.
Even if they said that WP8.1 can be used for android phones, which I think is likely impossible 'coz WP8.1 is not an open source, doesn't mean Microsoft will allow it.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Short answer is most likely never.

Even if they said that WP8.1 can be used for android phones, which I think is likely impossible 'coz WP8.1 is not an open source, doesn't mean Microsoft will allow it.

why wouldn't Microsoft allow it ?

sounds like a really good idea to get the millions of Galaxy s 4 owners interested without having to change hardware.

Dnamb

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

Modders can do the job doesn't necessarily need MSs approval, we just need the proof that WP8.1 can somehow run on android hardware.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
People are misunderstanding what Microsoft meant. The adjustment of hardware requirements means that OEMs can use their existing hardware for WP as well as Android, much like Samsung did with the original Focus being a recycled Galaxy S something or other.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Modders can do the job doesn't necessarily need MSs approval, we just need the proof that WP8.1 can somehow run on android hardware.

Doesn't work like that. 1. Phone would have to have Qualcomm chipset supported by the reference they are releasing. 2. They are releasing that only to OEM's. 3. You would then have other hardware problems like camera and camera-dedicated chips not working with your camera app.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MS won't approve it. WP8.1 is a close source, licensed OS. Anyone who manages to port it, should expect a law suit at the least if MS plays by the books.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
MS won't approve it. WP8.1 is a close source, licensed OS. Anyone who manages to port it, should expect a law suit at the least if MS plays by the books.

open/closed/feathers doesn't matter. what matters is that microsoft looks at the most popular selling android phone and says "hey, we should make wp available for THAT device for $9"

lawsuit shcmawsuit. if/when its possible and hits the torrents, it cannot be stopped. flailing the one person / group that accomplishes it instead of *ahem* using it to microsofts advantage and SELLING THE OPERATING SYSTEM that works on the highest selling phone hardware (hello, galaxy s4 owners) would be a poor choice.

if they can't move the lumias enough to compete, at least start looking at other avenues for getting the OS itself out there.

*shrug* just an idea

Markus Stoll

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
please tell me if i'm wrong but isn't the LUMIA 640 running on a SnapDragon 400 with ARMv7 architecture ?
So, at this point MS is already on Anroid territory, so were is the ROM to install on my S4....

Upss, last post already a year ago, sorry ....

ARM .... MS is here ;-)

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
please tell me if i'm wrong but isn't the LUMIA 640 running on a SnapDragon 400 with ARMv7 architecture ?
So, at this point MS is already on Anroid territory, so were is the ROM to install on my S4....

Upss, last post already a year ago, sorry ....

ARM .... MS is here ;-)

Still not going to happen. Sure some of the guts might be similar and whatnot between models, but everything else is different too, and I dont think we can just make drivers for it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, they've only started TESTING W10 for Phones on the XiaoMi Mi4 (an android phone) and ONLY that phone. Mainly because of all the other hurdles mentioned in this thread one would have to get over (hardware support, bootloaders, etc.) - there are so many different phones with different hardware which is why they are testing on one for now. Although I would imagine it would be in MS' best interests to one day be able to let most people jump to Windows simply by installing it on their phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99