Microsoft: Please give us start screen backgrounds instead of skinned tiles!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I like how Windows 8.1 does it on computers, and I don't like how WP8.1 does it on WPs. If there is only the option for the tiles, and not the actual background like W8.1, then I'll just do the regular colors with no so-called "background". I guess we'll find out more at //build.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I like how Windows 8.1 does it on computers, and I don't like how WP8.1 does it on WPs. If there is only the option for the tiles, and not the actual background like W8.1, then I'll just do the regular colors with no so-called "background". I guess we'll find out more at //build.

It works on Win8 because of the amount of gigantic void space between categorized tiles and bordering the screen. You can actually see stuff behind them. On WP the tiles take up the entire screen real estate unless you leave big square voids that make the start screen look incomplete. Unless you want to go back to the WP7 days where there was a large empty blank gutter on the right side of the screen.....

Im not saying either is the best way (i'd prefer the background to be changed too and not just skinned tiles) but the execution would be far less desirable unless MS allows the grouping of tiles with a header and opens up void space that way (like in win8 desktop) or some other way to actually be able to see the background.

I also I remember way back when people were brainstorming Metro/Modern UI customization ideas was that of transparent tiles. The skinned tiles seem to do the same thing.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It works on Win8 because of the amount of gigantic void space between categorized tiles and bordering the screen. You can actually see stuff behind them. On WP the tiles take up the entire screen real estate unless you leave big square voids that make the start screen look incomplete. Unless you want to go back to the WP7 days where there was a large empty blank gutter on the right side of the screen.....

Im not saying either is the best way (i'd prefer the background to be changed too and not just skinned tiles) but the execution would be far less desirable unless MS allows the grouping of tiles with a header and opens up void space that way (like in win8 desktop) or some other way to actually be able to see the background.

I also I remember way back when people were brainstorming Metro/Modern UI customization ideas was that of transparent tiles. The skinned tiles seem to do the same thing.

So, what's your point against just changing the colours of the background? There is absolutely no reason for Microsoft not to give us that option!

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not even out and People are already jumping to conclusions

That's the reason, cause it's not even out. We want it to be perfect when it's out, we don't want to wait another year for a newer update.

They need to get things right this time around!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think skinned tiles can look good but the only pictures I've seen have had tiles skinned with pictures that just look terrible. I would prefer backgrounds as an option though.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
ppl are not outraged because this option looks ugly (there's def that too) but more importantly they want the option (concept) that OP posted.

To be fair, a lot of people chose WP8 because of its UI ei Live Tiles, and to make it look like Winamp skin from the 2000 just isn't the way to go

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have nothing against the ideas of backgrounds but I guess the biggest roadblock I see to it is the resizing of tiles on the start screen. Right now I look at my start screen and there's no space available to see it. I'd have to manipulate my screen to go around the background to make it worthwhile. There's only small gaps in the tile and the bit at the top. Is it worth putting a background? It would mean a big change in the display or specailized skinning of the start screen.

I have to say I'm more partial to the skinned tiles but in all honesty I probably wouldn't use either.

So much for simplicity I guess. People have an obsession with making something their own to extremes.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I have nothing against the ideas of backgrounds but I guess the biggest roadblock I see to it is the resizing of tiles on the start screen. Right now I look at my start screen and there's no space available to see it. I'd have to manipulate my screen to go around the background to make it worthwhile. There's only small gaps in the tile and the bit at the top. Is it worth putting a background? It would mean a big change in the display or specailized skinning of the start screen.

I have to say I'm more partial to the skinned tiles but in all honesty I probably wouldn't use either.

So much for simplicity I guess. People have an obsession with making something their own to extremes.

Can't you see the gaps created when grouping your start tiles? Please have another look at them.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember that not everyone groups their tiles, even so I think that backgrounds like on Windows 8.1 are the way to go instead 

Yes, but even in Windows 8, you can have gaps without making categories.

BTW, this background was taken directly from Windows 8 :)

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I find it frustrating that we have to complaint to get what's already on Microsoft's platform considering they're pushing for the unifying experience. They should obviously includes something similar to your concept which I love (especially the category and the font you used) it should look similar across the board.

Thank you a lot sir. I wish everyone could see things from the way that you do. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786