Microsoft: Please give us start screen backgrounds instead of skinned tiles!

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It was a sad day when I found out that this is what Microsoft is planning for WP 8.1. I keep asking myself why and never get an answer.

Why I believe that skinned tiles isn't the way to go:
  • It would clutter the home screen.
  • Flipping skinned-tiles will make the background image look like a chess table with pieces on it!
  • How would they manage having a very tall wallpaper to cover up a long start screen? God please not by repeating the background!
  • It's just plain ugly and ruins the simplicity of WP.

Why I believe that background image is the answer (with tiles grouping + Semantic Zoom):
  • It's a step closer of unifying the experience between WP and Windows 8.
  • Users can choose from a pre-set of simplistic backgrounds (Just like Windows 8), which keeps the OS simple too.
  • Grouping tiles is a must, especially for people who have more than 50 pinned tiles on their start screen.
  • Semantic Zoom can be used to quickly jump between tiles on your start screen (it's the answer for Androids pinch out that brings all the different home-screens in a quick jump, small view list).
  • Grouping tiles creates gaps between them, so the background can show (this argument is for people that always say there is no point of having a background.)

I have made some mock-ups (with interactive tiles, which is not my subject today). Please check them out and let me know what you think:

View attachment 58479

View attachment 58480

View attachment 58481

(You can visit my other post named: Windows Phone 9 Concept-linking1990)

If you agree with me, please give me your vote on the feature suggestion page for Windows Phone. HERE

They are a lot of people that love the skinned tile idea. I am one of them. At first I didn't, now I do. I would have supported your cause IF you said "give us the ability to also have backgrounds" but by saying don't give us skinned tiles, I have no interest in supporting your cause.

The reality of it is that, with the skinned tiles, better customization is achieved. Only a few pictures can work behind the tiles but a lot can work as skinned tiles. No offence to your concept but it looks too busy and the homescreen does indeed look cluttered.

Imagine if someone wanted to use a picture of her baby as her background picture. Behind the tiles, it would just be pointless. With the skinned tiles it would make more sense.
Let me just post an example of a picture with the skinned tiles and one behind the tiles
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....0x720/1957840_633426783371476_671272517_o.jpg

You cant even tell what the hell is behind the tiles in the first picture. Let's be real, more casuals would be pleased with the second than the first. Matter of fact, I showed the picture to a lot of android users and they said that it (the second option)is actually so cool.

With skinned tiles, like many have suggested, you can even go as far as creating a custom accent color!

Btw, your points against skinned tiles are weak and your points for backgrounds are kinda weak too
-It's plain ugly? a lot of people disgree with that.
-Long picture? The background would be stationary while the tiles move (MS isnt stupid)
-Clutter the homescreen? IMO, your concept looks a lot more cluttered
-Step closer to unifying the OS: OSX and iPhone/iPad are quite unified but have a different look(OSX and iphones/pads
-Users can choose from a "preset"..:The whole point of this is to increase customization. Using preset themes defeat the purpose especially when they can implement it in a way where i can use my pictures and see them fully on the screen
-Grouping tiles: I approve

Bottomline, skinned tiles seems to be the better of the two options. I would support options but not when it involves me losing what i like permanently
There

c
redit: windows phone lovers (for the picture i used)

Last edited:

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
That's the reason, cause it's not even out. We want it to be perfect when it's out, we don't want to wait another year for a newer update.

They need to get things right this time around!

Opinions. You can't please everyone. If you go on sites like the verge, the amount of likes comments supporting skinned tiles get exceeds those supporting background colors. So what you call "perfection" is just like, your opinion man

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Gotta give the guy props for his passion. The things that matter to one won't always matter to another. I'd prefer all energy be spent on giving us a true iMessage experience with Skype. My daughter got an iPad Mini last night and by typing in a simple ID and password was able to basically have everything on her phone directly on her tablet in minutes. Watching it in action made me envious of how smooth the iOS experience really is in comparison to MS. I know the roadblocks that MS got themselves into with Skype, and with the full integration of Windows and WP, I know they'll get there someday, so I'll be patient. I just wish this kind of passion was focused on things that truly effect everyone...skins be damned.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What about having both custom background and skinned tiles, custom background with semi transparent tiles with the accent colour being chosen using a colour wheel and a background with almost fully transparent tiles. With all the other options. What's wrong with having all customisation features available in the update.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
What about having both custom background and skinned tiles, custom background with semi transparent tiles with the accent colour being chosen using a colour wheel and a background with almost fully transparent tiles. With all the other options. What's wrong with having all customisation features available in the update.

With that you make a good point.
Let the user make its own decision of what he or she wants.
I think the home screen is the only place you can express yourself in individuality.

Kzchy

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
My thoughts.

Microsoft should not allow users to choose which picture they want to put as a skinnery theme. On the contrary, if they will eventually bring that feature into the 8.1, then there should probably be several built-in options, like "choose gradient", "choose pattern" and that's it.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that's how it is going to work

The thing is, what if you didn't have as many color-themed tiles (which will be like a Window in this method), what's the point of having a background then? I don't want to change how my start tiles are arranged so I could get a better view of the background.

Also, many are forgetting about the backgrounds that contain white spaces in them, using them would be a nightmare in this method, would make text unreadable on tiles.

I am not against more options, it would be lovely to have both, but Microsoft will never give us both, it would be too confusing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Can't you see the gaps created when grouping your start tiles? Please have another look at them.

I just put tiles on my screen that I use and group them how I wish but with no gaps, I don't see the point. I treat WP like WP, not like an icon based system. I see where the problem lies.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, what if you didn't have as many color-themed tiles (which will be like a Window in this method), what's the point of having a background then? I don't want to change how my start tiles are arranged so I could get a better view of the background.

Also, many are forgetting about the backgrounds that contain white spaces in them, using them would be a nightmare in this method, would make text unreadable on tiles.

I am not against more options, it would be lovely to have both, but Microsoft will never give us both, it would be too confusing.

For your first point: With the notification center coming, you don't need as many live tiles on your startscreen as before. Also, what's the point of having a background image when you never get to see it cause of all the tiles covering it?

For your second point: Then people would be wise and choose a better picture. With this method, you can use any picture you like and you are not just restricted to one picture. And we haven't seen it in action yet so we cannot tell if MS has thought of a solution for that as well.

I'm also not against more options but I like the skinned tiles options now. I was so against it at first but now I like it and can see it working. If MS can give us both, fine but I wouldn't want the skinned tile option to go

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
They are a lot of people that love the skinned tile idea. I am one of them. At first I didn't, now I do. I would have supported your cause IF you said "give us the ability to also have backgrounds" but by saying don't give us skinned tiles, I have no interest in supporting your cause.

I am not against having more options, but I know Microsoft won't give us both; it's too confusing. Latest leaks suggest that Microsoft is testing this with multiple methods, but they are going to stay with one.

The reality of it is that, with the skinned tiles, better customization is achieved. Only a few pictures can work behind the tiles but a lot can work as skinned tiles. No offence to your concept but it looks too busy and the homescreen does indeed look cluttered.

Sir, you know, if you think of all the pictures that wouldn't be applicable in the skinned tiles method, you would end up with loads and loads of pictures that cannot work. Simply, any picture with a white background within won't be applicable, cause text won't be readable on your tiles.

Also, if you didn't have as many tiles which are theme-colored, you won't see nothing from the background that you set. I don't want to re-arrange my tiles in a way that they can show the background. The background must complete my homescreen the way it is, not force me into changing everything for it's sake alone.

Imagine if someone wanted to use a picture of her baby as her background picture. Behind the tiles, it would just be pointless. With the skinned tiles it would make more sense.
Let me just post an example of a picture with the skinned tiles and one behind the tiles
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....0x720/1957840_633426783371476_671272517_o.jpg

Your example lacks spacing that is set to be created by tiles grouping. Also, you are forgetting that the background shows in the applist as well. I never said that all the backgrounds in the world could be applicable, but I can give you a *1000 times pictures that won't work in your method, including the one that you posted, because it has white spaces.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
For your first point: With the notification center coming, you don't need as many live tiles on your startscreen as before. Also, what's the point of having a background image when you never get to see it cause of all the tiles covering it?

For your second point: Then people would be wise and choose a better picture. With this method, you can use any picture you like and you are not just restricted to one picture. And we haven't seen it in action yet so we cannot tell if MS has thought of a solution for that as well.

I'm also not against more options but I like the skinned tiles options now. I was so against it at first but now I like it and can see it working. If MS can give us both, fine but I wouldn't want the skinned tile option to go

Please have a look at this and tell me it isn't better looking:

8_1 (2).jpg

I never said this method can be applicable to every background out there, but don't tell me it doesn't work.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I just put tiles on my screen that I use and group them how I wish but with no gaps, I don't see the point. I treat WP like WP, not like an icon based system. I see where the problem lies.

If you have used Windows 8, you would know why it's important to have tiles grouping and semantic zoom.

Please watch this:

Windows 8: Semantic Zoom and Grouping Apps - YouTube

Windows Phone has a problem when you have a long list of pinned tiles. You would keep looking for anything wasting time, not gonna happen if you organize your tiles in groups and have quick access to them with Semantic zoom, it's the answer to Android's pinch out, which brings all the home screens together.

Start mockup 2.jpg vs tip02.jpg

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not against having more options, but I know Microsoft won't give us both; it's too confusing. Latest leaks suggest that Microsoft is testing this with multiple methods, but they are going to stay with one.

All leaks seem to go towards skinned tiles atm and from many other sites, you know, sites that aren't dedicated to only windows users, people seem to like the idea a lot more than having it at the background

Sir, you know, if you think of all the pictures that wouldn't be applicable in the skinned tiles method, you would end up with loads and loads of pictures that cannot work. Simply, any picture with a white background within won't be applicable, cause text won't be readable on your tiles.

Also, if you didn't have as many tiles which are theme-colored, you won't see nothing from the background that you set. I don't want to re-arrange my tiles in a way that they can show the background. The background must complete my homescreen the way it is, not force me into changing everything for it's sake alone.

Chances of a picture working with skinned tiles are far greater than working behind the tiles. You don't see anything behind the tiles just the top bezel. And you're fully aware this is optional right? You're not being forced to do anything. You don't even need to rearrange your tiles to see something when you have the image behind the tiles because you wont be able to see anything as long as it is behind the tiles. Apps are going to be optimized to make the skinned tiles work better.

Your example lacks spacing that is set to be created by tiles grouping. Also, you are forgetting that the background shows in the applist as well. I never said that all the backgrounds in the world could be applicable, but I can give you a *1000 times pictures that won't work in your method, including the one that you posted, because it has white spaces.

Funny how the initial problem with WP was too much bezel but now you want it back JUST so your background method can work. So far, the only thing you can saw against skinned tiles is it wont work on a white background(and we are yet to see how it's going to be implemented but you know for certain how it's going to work. sigh). And so far, the only samples of behind the tiles that have worked so far have been background colors, not images, colors. Very little customization would be achieved with the behind the tile implementation and that defeats the purpose of having a background image in the first place

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
All leaks seem to go towards skinned tiles atm and from many other sites, you know, sites that aren't dedicated to only windows users, people seem to like the idea a lot more than having it at the background

Exactly what I noticed when I showed the skinned tiles to users that have nothing to do with WP. They all like it very much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb