Am i the only one sick of home build quality of the phones for this platform

Darryl Dixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Had a Lumia 920, horrible build quality. Had it replaced 6 times for various hardware issues. They finally replaced it with a 1020, haven't had an issue since. One thing is certain, Nokia isn't what it used to be. Had a Samsung focus, thought it was cheap because of the plastic. But it turned out to be a great device, and it was so light it seemed indestructible.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Had a Lumia 920, horrible build quality. Had it replaced 6 times for various hardware issues. They finally replaced it with a 1020, haven't had an issue since. One thing is certain, Nokia isn't what it used to be. Had a Samsung focus, thought it was cheap because of the plastic. But it turned out to be a great device, and it was so light it seemed indestructible.

Same, my 920 was replaced 4 times, but always due to the front facing camera dust. Now I have 1020, and it has a slightly creaky body, but that's not too bad comparatively, so i don't plan on getting a replacement anytime soon haha (until the next gen devices come out)

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
some of you guys saying it was bad luck, can see that its not just me that has had this problems with Nokia, im just disappointed tbh, Nokia was know for their amazing build quality and if you love all over this forum you'll see that im not the only one,all i was basically saying is that i expected much better from nokia

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought my first cell phone 9 years ago. It was a Nokia 6010. I got my first smart phone almost a year ago, a Nokia 820. The 6010 still works today and I keep it as a backup in case something happens. Got to say the quality of the 6010 has stood the test of time. But then the smartphones on the market now are much more complicated than that old 6010. The 820 has been great and works like a gem. I have had no problems with it at all; but I don't expect it to last 8 years like the 6010 did.

Yesterday I bought a 520 as a backup to my 820. I bought a 520 for my wife (to replace her flipphone) about 6 months ago and it too has been flawless. Now maybe I am just lucky with phones. Oh yea, the 6010 still works like a charm. But lets face it probably 80% of all phones now are made in China, even the great (jokingly) Iphone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Complaining about the build quality of the phones? Really? I've had three Windows Phones and haven't run into a single problem with the build quality. The odd problems with the 920 the OP mentioned? Never experienced it on mine. If anything, Nokia's build quality is superior to that of many other smartphone manufacturers. Same thing with their dumbphones and feature phones I used to own. There was always quality build to them. Also, all three of my Windows Phones have always functioned well.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think having any new phone that turns out to have issues (either software or hardware related) is more often than not just down to bad luck. I've been a wp user for a few years, starting with the htc7 trophy, the lumia 800 and now the 1520 and I've had a pretty good run (apart from a small screen issue with the 1520, which was replaced immediately by my carrier).

In contrast, my wife has had an iphone3, iphone3, iphone4s and now a 5s........and every single one apart from the 5s has had problems ranging from screen damage to software corruption and intense call dropping/call signal issues, not to mention some really bad scratching on the back and sides.

Bottom line, I think Nokia, HTC and most of the other manufacturers generally make really high quality phones, but inevitably I would estimate that at least a few hundred in every million has the potential to be a "problem phone"

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Complaining about the build quality of the phones? Really? I've had three Windows Phones and haven't run into a single problem with the build quality. The odd problems with the 920 the OP mentioned? Never experienced it on mine. If anything, Nokia's build quality is superior to that of many other smartphone manufacturers. Same thing with their dumbphones and feature phones I used to own. There was always quality build to them. Also, all three of my Windows Phones have always functioned well.
SO im not allowed to complain about the build quality of phones i bought? GTFO

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
*quoted from the OP*

"i decided it was time to get a new phone(February 2014) it took me AGES to save up for this phone, i was saving up since December"

That like 2 months, that's not an awful lot.(at least not "for ages" as you described, unless you mean December 2012)

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
SO im not allowed to complain about the build quality of phones i bought? GTFO

Just remember how many faulty iPhones there are out there, I've had one.

When you ship millions of devices you are bound to get at least a percentage to suffer from poor build quality

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think, like others may have said, the problem lies with Nokia. I've had various issues with Nokia products, and I still like them despite the issues. The thing is, a company like Apple, that's going to sell tens of millions of the same phone can hold their factories to very very high standards, an Nokia can't. That's my two cents.

Sorry but let's be honest millions of iPhone 5's where sold in a black color after a while they became scratched aluminium. I am no ****** i use a Moto G and just recently switched from a 5s to a 1520 same as previous Nokia phones without hardware issue's. One time the xenon flash was defect on my 1020 that was the only Nokia phone i had to send in from all the phones i have used Nokia N73, N82, N95, 6220 classic, 5110, 3310, N8, Lumia 620, 710, 800, 1520 and so on. I'm not saying Apple is bad but every once in a while any manufacturer will make a defective or lesser quality device even Apple.

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
*quoted from the OP*

"i decided it was time to get a new phone(February 2014) it took me AGES to save up for this phone, i was saving up since December"

That like 2 months, that's not an awful lot.(at least not "for ages" as you described, unless you mean December 2012)

i meant october sorry, decided on what phone in december but as im a student that meant saying up lunch money each day of each week and any pocket money during weekends

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but let's be honest millions of iPhone 5's where sold in a black color after a while they became scratched aluminium. I am no ****** i use a Moto G and just recently switched from a 5s to a 1520 same as previous Nokia phones without hardware issue's. One time the xenon flash was defect on my 1020 that was the only Nokia phone i had to send in from all the phones i have used Nokia N73, N82, N95, 6220 classic, 5110, 3310, N8, Lumia 620, 710, 800, 1520 and so on. I'm not saying Apple is bad but every once in a while any manufacturer will make a defective or lesser quality device even Apple.

Sent from my 1520 using Tapatalk

Scratching is not a manufacturing defect. It's a side effect of using brushed metal. The Lumia 900 had the same issue with the aluminum camera piece on the back scratching badly within a few days. The Lumia 920 solved this issue with the ceramic piece instead, but had other issues like the front facing camera dust, and creaking bodies. Well documented at that. Nokia actually had to remanufacture the front camera seal to stop the dust. Still happened even after the fix though. The iphone has had problems too, but most of which had been software issues from a whole new OS. This is acceptable and are solved in updates like 7.0.1-7.0.6. The fact that windows phone doesn't get quick fixes is a separate issue that I won't address here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb