Operamini for Windows phone....?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
opera mini compress data resulting in less data usage and faster web browsing , my answer is use internet explorer , with data sense you can do the same.

Last edited:

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
If I remember correctly, only browsers using internet explorer's trident layout engine works on Windows Phone. Opera uses webkit I think. So highly unlikely it would ever come to windows phone. But I find IE on windows phone among the best mobile web browsers out there.

Gary Anderson5

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I hope they figure a way out to make it work. Some url's just won't open for me in IE. Any other browsers out there that someone might recommended ?

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
The only alternative browser I found on Windows Phone is UC Browser - which has some nifty features like incognito browsing and swipe gestures (swipe left to go forward, right to go back).

But, it too is based on IE's trident engine, so any pages that won't open in IE are unlikely to work in UC browser as well

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If I remember correctly, only browsers using internet explorer's trident layout engine works on Windows Phone. Opera uses webkit I think. So highly unlikely it would ever come to windows phone. But I find IE on windows phone among the best mobile web browsers out there.

Opera mini does NOT have a rendering engine. All the processing and rendering is done on the server side, just like UC browser, so if opera decides to port mini to WP, they can but they are being too lazy and/or *tinfoil hat on* anti-WP *tinfoil hat off* to do so, yet.

Now, opera mobile is a full browser. Don't expect to see that any time soon.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never used opera-mini but if it's a server-side render then push over to the phone, there is no reason they couldn't port that to WP.. need to put pressure on opera for that, not MS (though with enough demand, MS could ask opera themselves).

like iOS, WP does not let you use any browser other than their own engine. Even chrome for iOS is safari with a skin.. Chrome could very well (and opera, and firefox, and whoever else) come to WP and just wrap their APIs and features to the trident rendering engine. Just need to get the companies to do the work which they don't want to do for ~4% US market share. Now if WP8.1 and Cortana can bump us up to like 7%... then we might see a lot more.. but WP is starting to be more of a common name for people. They might not know all about WP but they know it is a thing which is a start, albeit slower than i'd like.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The thing about opera mini and why it is popular is that you can disable images, go back or forward without reloading every page.

I'm using internet explorer and it won't remember login details, it will always reload a page when I go back and most importantly, it can't disable images.

You have to consider people like us who cannot find wifi and do not have the luxury of purchasing expensive data plans.

What I would look for in a browser is:
Ability to save login details for sites like facebook and gmail
Ability to change font size independent of phone font settings
Disable images for faster and cheaper browsing. Disabling images can save me 80% of my data charges. In Kenya we purchase data bundles of fixed amounts. We don't have unlimited data options and wifi can only be found in a few cafes in major towns. Obviously not at home or most places we work and go to
Multiple tabs
Go back without reloading pages (UC browser can do this)

If IE comes with these features in WP 8.1, then I will have no complaint

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
If opera will release browser for us,it is not going to be Opera Mini (I guess) ..

They will build opera Browser for WP.

hopefully soon..

- Why it is so hard for the developer to create apps for us..
Is it because of market share? :( I guess Yes

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
For all people, eagerly waiting for Opera Mini / Mobile for WP, forget it. It is not going to happen anytime soon. The devs at Opera are already struggling and unable to provide proper releases to their Opera Browser. They are too busy still switching from Presto to Webkit. The transition is going slow, too slow. As they cannot even please the existing customers, I think they will not even look at WP side. For Example, the Opera Desktop still does not has a proper bookmark manager, a basic feature that longtime customers have been demanding since the first Webkit release. If you just check their forums you will understand how far back in the game they are.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Xpress is good but not as opera mini..... It's he slow as hell .....I agree that it looks good and compresses data nicely but is slow and this is a fact...

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't works as good as opera......and data sense ( I don't know why ) in case of Facebook turns automatically off....try it yourself

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Opera went weird way releasing browser for desktop with no bookmark management.
I can't understand their logic if there is any.

As for mobile browser, UC is my choice over IE mainly due to excellent tab management.
All I miss in mobile browsing on WP is Flash support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb