Pinning artist to start - playing random tracks

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I love that I am able to pin albums and songs to the start page on my Luma 920, but I have run into an odd "problem". I would prefer to be able to pin artists to the start page instead of individual albums. When I do that and then tap on that tile, it will start playing a random song from the album. It will be the same song every time, but its is not the first track of the album. For instance: I have 2 Korn albums and when I pin Korn to the start, it plays a song from the earlier album (the last song of that album in fact) every time. When I pin an artist that I only have one album of to the start page, it will not play the first song from that album either. In both circumstances the following song will be random, not in track order of the album. Is this meant to happen? Is there a way to make it play the album from song 1 instead of a random song? Any help is appreciated.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I love that I am able to pin albums and songs to the start page on my Luma 920, but I have run into an odd "problem". I would prefer to be able to pin artists to the start page instead of individual albums. When I do that and then tap on that tile, it will start playing a random song from the album. It will be the same song every time, but its is not the first track of the album. For instance: I have 2 Korn albums and when I pin Korn to the start, it plays a song from the earlier album (the last song of that album in fact) every time. When I pin an artist that I only have one album of to the start page, it will not play the first song from that album either. In both circumstances the following song will be random, not in track order of the album. Is this meant to happen? Is there a way to make it play the album from song 1 instead of a random song? Any help is appreciated.

You know, most obvious solutions first: have you tried turning shuffle off in music player?
Or it may be that songs are ordered alphabetically? And it starts to play Adidas even though it's track no. 5 on the album? Check ID3 tags of those songs if they have the Track # field filled out.

edit: I just tried it and playing pinned artist does play the first song alphabetically, unless you have it on shuffle.
Seems like WP nicely ignores track numbers and does stuff it's own way. Off to WP feature request.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have the shuffle turned off.
:( damn, I was hoping there was a fix for this!

Workaround, not a fix, but try renaming titles from 'Adidas' to '06 - Adidas'. Alphabetically you should get the right order. It's of course annoying to do this for every song, but if you mostly keep the same music on the phone (and with some help from multi ID3 editors - I'm sure they exist), it can be done fairly quickly.
Try making a playlist though, songs should stay in the same order they're put on in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney