What consumes more battery Data or WIFI? what about Bluetooth?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
For the first (data/WiFi) I just want to be connected to internet always, just not to miss any messages (ex. Whatsapp) and Bluetooth just for the cars hands free system.
I think.. most Wifi -BT-Data least could be wrong

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
BT definitely does consume a LOT. It's always on and it's always seeking for devices it can connect to. I leave wifi on almost all the time and do pretty okay with it.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Data should be the biggest battery drainer among the three. Wifi can greatly increase it's consumption depending on the device you connect to, but when it's not connected, it should consume relatively little energy. Can't tell about bluetooth, i never leave it on when i don't need it

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I leave all three on all the time. The extra battery consumption is minimum depending on what is going on with the phone.

Same here. I got tired of constantly toggling wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular data on/off all the time and worrying over my battery life. I just leave all 3 on now and I don't notice much of a difference.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
In general, power consumption on any non-wired connection is dependent on the strength and quality of the wireless signal. But 3G/4G data is often perceived to be the power hog because the signal strength varies so much from area to area and the radio ramps up power to compensate. This is less of an issue with wifi or Bluetooth.

Personally, I'm in the 'leave 'em all on' camp unless I've got a specific reason to turn one or more off.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Cellular Data is usually the biggest consumer by far. It will vary though depending on the signal strength you phone is seeing. I am in the leave all 3 on camp unless I am roaming.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
BT definitely does consume a LOT. It's always on and it's always seeking for devices it can connect to. I leave wifi on almost all the time and do pretty okay with it.

BT isn't as power consuming if you toggle discovery off. WiFi is in the same situation if you toggle "join networks" off as well. I juggle many different devices so my terminology may be off a hair.

There are many threads where users ask for a 3G/4G toggle to stay on EDGE when not necessary and it's a very valid point. Especially for T-Mobile users since their coverage is so spotty.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
From experience, I've noticed 2G data consumes the least power on my phone. WiFi consumes more than 2G, but less than 3G.

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For me its def WIFI when i get home from work and connect to mine after watching a good few vines, checking twitter, facebook etc couple of txts and whatsapps my phone battery can drain awful quick lol i use a 925.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's because you are using the wifi connection for data communication. If you do the same thing on cell data, you will find your battery drains the same or even faster depending on the connection and signal type.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's because you are using the wifi connection for data communication. If you do the same thing on cell data, you will find your battery drains the same or even faster depending on the connection and signal type.

You're saying cellular connections drain batteries faster than WiFi? That makes no sense. WiFi is for data only, which means you're still using cellular for voice and texts. I'm not an engineer but I know that 2 radios consume more resources than 1.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You're saying cellular connections drain batteries faster than WiFi? That makes no sense. WiFi is for data only, which means you're still using cellular for voice and texts. I'm not an engineer but I know that 2 radios consume more resources than 1.

Good thing you are not an engineer :)

Read what OP said. He watch online video on Vine. If you watch video on 4G or 3G connection instead of wifi, you may use more battery juice. Try it and you shall see. Your voice cellular radio is always there. The only difference here is which radio you use for large amount of data transfer.

And in case you haven't bother to read earlier posts, on idle, they don't make much of difference whether you have wifi on or not.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
4G wireless data is a huge power drain compared to 2G or wifi. Can't speak experientially to BT.

I think it depends a lot on how built out the 4G/LTE network is. My provider in Canada (Bell) has been building out LTE like crazy. I don't really see any difference between it and 3G. I get around 2 days with my Ativ S between charges. I am not a power user though.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

after getting bluetooth headphones I leave it on all the time and unless i don't see much difference in battery life. When listening to music yes, but not when its disconnected.
I've gotten tired of toggling wifi/data/gps all the time a long time ago. I carry an external battery pack so I can use the smart in smartphone without worries.
I know though, that staying at home uses less battery then commuting, because constantly switching towers while on the road eats more juice then solid and stable network (both cell and wifi) at home.
I've tried toggling 3G/4G (since I have LTE limited to 20mbps it makes no difference - I'd have to pay 6€/month for full speed LTE) and I don't notice much difference in battery life. Maybe like 30 minutes at the end of the day.
In other words, I haven't had my 925 die on me (so far)

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it depends a lot on how built out the 4G/LTE network is. My provider in Canada (Bell) has been building out LTE like crazy. I don't really see any difference between it and 3G. I get around 2 days with my Ativ S between charges. I am not a power user though.

There is also a difference in 3G vs 4G power consumption depending on the chipset in the phone. When 3G first came out the 3G radio was separate to the the System-on-Chip that ran the voice and 2G comms. Gradually the 3G functions were integrated into the SoC, so the difference in power consumption between 2G and 3G became less, and is minimal on the latest phones. Same is happening now with 4G. Most phones run a separate 4G chip at the moment, but these functions will gradually be integrated into the SoC.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

The GSM radio for voice, texts and 2G data (it's a single radio) is always on, regardless of whether you're running on wifi or cellular data. So there will always be two radios on when you have 3G, 4G or WiFi data switched on as all three will use a separate radio to voice/texts. 3G and 4G tend to have to work off lower signal level levels than WiFi and therefore tend to use slightly more power than WiFi when in use. Hence, pulling data on a 3G or 4G network will typically use more power than on WiFi (for the same amount of use).

As Marty Larsson has highlighted, though, many people have limited cellular data limits but much higher or unlimited WiFi quotas. Therefore they don't use data as much on cellular as they do when they are connected to WiFi. So the battery gets more of a hammering on WiFi - but not because it's less power efficient, simply because the phone in general is doing more work (screen on, processor working hard, etc.).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I got tired of constantly toggling wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular data on/off all the time and worrying over my battery life. I just leave all 3 on now and I don't notice much of a difference.

Ditto. Always leave 'em on, and still get 20 hours of battery life from my 1020, minimum. Really convenient, too, for when I need to use my phone as a hotspot for my SP2. Just go into my available connections, tap my phone, and it automatically sends a signal via Bluetooth for my phone to set up hotspot.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Good thing you are not an engineer :)

Read what OP said. He watch online video on Vine. If you watch video on 4G or 3G connection instead of wifi, you may use more battery juice. Try it and you shall see. Your voice cellular radio is always there. The only difference here is which radio you use for large amount of data transfer.

And in case you haven't bother to read earlier posts, on idle, they don't make much of difference whether you have wifi on or not.

No, voice & SMS are not always there. The GSM radio can be toggled off and use BT or WiFi exclusively. If you had read one of MY earlier posts you would know that 3g/4G/LTE will consume a lot of power if it has to hunt for a signal because of spotty coverage. GSM power consumption has everything to do with strength of signal so what works for you or me, may not apply to the next guy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster