Finally... i present to you Cortana!

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Dude, off topic, but I was reading comments on other websites and man people really hate on MS. Kind of crazy. Anyways, well, lost that thought. Lol.

Hating Microsoft is kinda internet trend right now. People just like hating Microsoft without any proper reason. And if you decided to do the otherwise, they'd keep blaming you with their nonsense statements and then ignore you for later Microsoft hating comments again. Just look at all the hatred toward IE and you can understand.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I would really want a better cortana visualization. For instance like the bubble on this video.
I don't think it would be that hard to make and it would look amazing. So futuristic!

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
That's a very broad statement without knowing why some are bothered by the gathering of data.

I was bothered enough by the gathering of data to move to WP in the first place. Microsoft IMO, is much more open about how this process works and how you can control your data. I fled Google because their terms basically stated that they got free use of ANYTHING they could learn from me as I used their services. Ironically even if all things were equal I would feel less threatened by Microsoft at this point. They have enormous business revenue streams that they do not want to jeopardize by taking advantage of their consumer relationships with business decision makers.

With Google, taking advantage of consumer relationships is their entire business model. You are their product.

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hating Microsoft is kinda internet trend right now. People just like hating Microsoft without any proper reason. And if you decided to do the otherwise, they'd keep blaming you with their nonsense statements and then ignore you for later Microsoft hating comments again. Just look at all the hatred toward IE and you can understand.

I agree with the hatred **** towards Microsoft, but IE really sucked a while ago. It's really better now, but I think kids nowadays think hating is cool and proof of one's awareness of life.

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Looks great but doesn't have much in common with the Metro language. It has kind of a 3D effect while Windows Phone UI is flat.

I agree. The cortana animation is flat and accent color limited. Creating amazing effects would drain the battery too much, which's quite the opposite of what they're trying to achieve. Plus, I wouldn't want to be staring at her while she does the work. I would mostly ask her when not even looking at the phone.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the hatred **** towards Microsoft, but IE really sucked a while ago. It's really better now, but I think kids nowadays think hating is cool and proof of one's awareness of life.

Yes and it makes a lot of folks life a living hell having to deal with that type of attitude. :(

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Would be cool if cortana had a wake up word so you wouldn't even need touch your phone to activate anything

Yes, I thought that too! The problem is the microphone that would always have to be turned on. That would cause lots of battery drain.

The Moto X, for example, also has a virtual assistant which you can start with your voice, but it has an extra processor built in that reduces the battery drain of the always-on microphone.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Since we are on the topic, Cortana better be better than Google Now search. Honestly, SIRI is not even the competition. Even if it can be between SIri and Google Now, it will be prove to be a HUGE boost to WP sales...IMHO>

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually this still could be done without the need of the microphone to be always on.
The mic can be turned on (for a 1 min) only after notification from Cortana, so that she can hear her master's command. ;)

Would be cool if cortana had a wake up word so you wouldn't even need touch your phone to activate anything

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
but it has an extra processor built in that reduces the battery drain of the always-on microphone.

Has zero to do with the microphone being on.

The problem is the power it takes for the device to constantly process ambient noise. That chip is constantly doing audio analysis. When it picks up sounds within the frequency range of human speech, it also does voice recognition on every word being said, to hopefully eventually notice that one command directed at itself.

That extra low power chip allows the rest of the device to be turned off while doing so.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X, for example, also has a virtual assistant which you can start with your voice, but it has an extra processor built in that reduces the battery drain of the always-on microphone.

My wife has a Moto X, and the virtual assistant works very well. If the device is turned off, the touchless control only responds to her voice, for security. If I say, "OK Google Now", nothing happens. Anyone can use Google Now normally if the device is on and unlocked. Also you can say "What's up?" and it will read recent notifications. The always listening processor for touchless control uses very little battery. The battery life of the Moto X will rival that of any smartphone.

Neither Siri nor Google Now started out top notch, and I don't expect Cortana to either. But give it time. Microsoft's Tell Me has very good voice recognition. I recall using it way back when there was a phone number to call and ask for information. Maybe it's still active: I don't know. At work when we activate Windows or Office by phone, we're very impressed with how fast you can read the numbers and it still understands. Microsoft has the voice recognition down, at least American English; they just need to get the AI in place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo