Finally... i present to you Cortana!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So it tracks things via your email, much like Google Now... isn't that something MS were going all scroogled about?

As others have stated already, this is something you can disable. But it is stored locally and perhaps partially in the cloud (we don't know for sure) but you can delete and edit the notebook and you can detail which parts she does and doesn't store about you. Features that are not available in google (or even Facebook really).

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who expected more of the UI.?
The second shot where Cortana is processing looks very bleak and the two twisting circles look really suckish. Also the fonts. :|

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
You obviously missed the point of the commercials. MS isn't spying on our data and selling said data to advertising firms...
Ugh...I hate that people don't understand Google's business model. Google does not sell personal data to advertisers. If you need a full explanation of their model and what exactly they do I would be more than happy to explain in detail. To get back on topic, Cortana looks cool.For someone like myself who relies heavily on Google Now when i'm using my android phones and my iPhone, Cortana has the potential to tie the quirky personality of Siri with the awesome contextual awareness of Google Now. That is what i'm most excited about. Although i do understand why people are pointing out the perceived hypocrisy of the data collection. To use Cortana to it's full extent (I understand you can opt out), a person must offer a wide range of personal data personal data just like Google Now. Both companies target ads. One just doesn't do it with the content of your emails.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ugh...I hate that people don't understand Google's business model. Google does not sell personal data to advertisers. If you need a full explanation of their model and what exactly they do I would be more than happy to explain in detail. To get back on topic, Cortana looks cool.For someone like myself who relies heavily on Google Now when i'm using my android phones and my iPhone, Cortana has the potential to tie the quirky personality of Siri with the awesome contextual awareness of Google Now. That is what i'm most excited about. Although i do understand why people are pointing out the perceived hypocrisy of the data collection. To use Cortana to it's full extent (I understand you can opt out), a person must offer a wide range of personal data personal data just like Google Now. Both companies target ads. One just doesn't do it with the content of your emails.

What do they use the data for they collect? They keep the info to themselves?

I don't trust google. They were a decent company at one time but no longer. I think they are a bunch of repugnant, evil, recalcitrant sociopaths that need to be broken up. They do read your documents and when possible hotlink ads to them. I know. I work in an environment where my phone rings daily where I have to remote in to disinfect googles BS. So anything else you may have read that convinced you otherwise, take off the rose colored google glasses. Its a fact.
On the subject though, I only hope Cortana can do the basics well. I can live with updates to improve on its functionality and usefulness over time.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
What do they use the data for they collect? They keep the info to themselves?

I don't trust google. They were a decent company at one time but no longer. I think they are a bunch of repugnant, evil, recalcitrant sociopaths that need to be broken up. They do read your documents and when possible hotlink ads to them. I know. I work in an environment where my phone rings daily where I have to remote in to disinfect googles BS. So anything else you may have read that convinced you otherwise, take off the rose colored google glasses. Its a fact.
On the subject though, I only hope Cortana can do the basics well. I can live with updates to improve on its functionality and usefulness over time.
Rose colored google glasses? I don't need to read articles about Google's or MS's privacy settings when i can just read their respective Terms of Services. From Microsofts privacy Tos:

"Most of the online advertisements on Microsoft sites are displayed by Microsoft Advertising. When we display online advertisements to you, we will place one or more persistent cookies on your computer in order to recognize your computer each time we display an ad to you. Because we serve advertisements on our own websites as well as those of our advertising and publisher partners, we are able to compile information over time about the types of pages, content and ads you, or others who are using your computer, visited or viewed. This information is used for many purposes, for example, it helps us try to ensure that you do not see the same advertisements over and over again. We also use this information to help select and display targeted advertisements that we believe may be of interest to you."

I can assure you Google's ToS is very similar (but not exactly the same) having researched both while deciding what to write a research paper on. Your anecdotal evidence lends no merit to you're argument. Additionally, I feel that you're opinion on the matter is rather biased based on you're choice of words when describing Google. Why no hate for MS which essentially does the same thing? Is it because they don't support your platform of choice or is it because Google has somehow personally altered your life for the worse? I eagerly await your response as i look forward to a good debate.

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Rose colored google glasses? I don't need to read articles about Google's or MS's privacy settings when i can just read their respective Terms of Services. From Microsofts privacy Tos:

"Most of the online advertisements on Microsoft sites are displayed by Microsoft Advertising. When we display online advertisements to you, we will place one or more persistent cookies on your computer in order to recognize your computer each time we display an ad to you. Because we serve advertisements on our own websites as well as those of our advertising and publisher partners, we are able to compile information over time about the types of pages, content and ads you, or others who are using your computer, visited or viewed. This information is used for many purposes, for example, it helps us try to ensure that you do not see the same advertisements over and over again. We also use this information to help select and display targeted advertisements that we believe may be of interest to you."

I can assure you Google's ToS is very similar (but not exactly the same) having researched both while deciding what to write a research paper on. Your anecdotal evidence lends no merit to you're argument. Additionally, I feel that you're opinion on the matter is rather biased based on you're choice of words when describing Google. Why no hate for MS which essentially does the same thing? Is it because they don't support your platform of choice or is it because Google has somehow personally altered your life for the worse? I eagerly await your response as i look forward to a good debate.

​*popcorn*

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Blah Blah, WP8.1 ships with advertiser id which lets you reset any data collect to push contextual ads.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Blah Blah, WP8.1 ships with advertiser id which lets you reset any data collect to push contextual ads.
Advertiser id is in reference to in app advertisement rather than Microsoft's advertisements as a whole. For example, if you reset the data for your apps, you wont see targeted ads in those apps. What I was trying to show Jazmac was that without a user giving consent to MS to collect data, Cortana would not be as useful as Google Now. Additionally, if said person was to give MS this data but cry foul when Google does essentially the same thing while also giving the user the ability to opt out (albeit not from individual sources as notebook is said to do), I can see how it comes off as hypocritial . Please don't try to paint me as a fan of some faceless corporation as i have hardware and software from all of the top 3 that includes my awesome 925. I just have a general dislike of situations where people state their opinion as fact. If you want to say "Google steals data and sells it to Advertisers", I want you to same the same for MS. Cortana will be awesome if you opt in to everything ( which many on this site will). But so will Google Now.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
its simple, when you got a WP device, you bought it, I don't know for how much 10$ I guess read something about it going down to 6$...

when you got an android device, you got it for free,

so Microsoft already made their profit, Google still didn't.

the right question, What is it for Google? how do they make their profit then? a simple example of the answer is (trends.google.com) - if you don't know this site then you have no idea of googles power.

there is a huge difference between using your data to help your self. and using data to help your self and them. period. but it is still fair because you get free services, its a valid model,

The real question is, what is more valuable, 10\ 6$ worth of OS or all your data trail? that's up to you to decide.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I may not be the person that you were replying to, but I can give you a response since I've helped write some of the policies for Microsoft in regards to data collection, usage, etc in regards to Xbox, but most of that Xbox work is what is now the wording on other properties as well.

My response is that you have absolutely 0 clue of what you're talking about, and when asked to provide an in-depth view (which you said you would) for some reason you managed to magically falter at providing any concrete information other than to say something akin to 'Well it's all sort of just the same' when it fact it is not.

That's a start and end to the debate all in a single post. ;)

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
its simple, when you got a WP device, you bought it, I don't know for how much 10$ I guess read something about it going down to 6$...

when you got an android device, you got it for free,

so Microsoft already made their profit, Google still didn't.

the right question, What is it for Google? how do they make their profit then? a simple example of the answer is (trends.google.com) - if you don't know this site then you have no idea of googles power.

there is a huge difference between using your data to help your self. and using data to help your self and them. period. but it is still fair because you get free services, its a valid model,

The real question is, what is more valuable, 10\ 6$ worth of OS or all your data trail? that's up to you to decide.

While i understand what you are trying to say, it seems that you are saying that MS isn't making money on ads and targeting as Google does. It would be incorrect to say that the data collected by either company is only used by the end user. Otherwise, what incentive does Microsoft or Google have to offer free services? So in your example, MS makes money from the sale of a license and the targeting of ads (which makes awesome business sense). Addtionally, if MS was to make WP free (which some WP users are screaming for) would that change your view on Google's monetization of its platform? If WP goes free what is more valuable to you your data and the services they power or your privacy? Will you go iOS because Apple makes their money from the license or will stay with WP which would be monetized exactly like Google's Android?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If WP got free, then most probably it will be adopting the freemium model google presents.

Would I stay with ms or switch to google or apple. I have no idea, I personally don't care about my data trail, but I don't like the concept of huge data, so most probably ill switch to apple. What all companies changed to a freemium model then I'll go with WP as i feel they have a very powerful theme for their OS that i like.

Back to the subject of cortana, I think it will be rendered useless if it doesn't learn from your data trail, hopefully they won't sell this data.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I may not be the person that you were replying to, but I can give you a response since I've helped write some of the policies for Microsoft in regards to data collection, usage, etc in regards to Xbox, but most of that Xbox work is what is now the wording on other properties as well.

My response is that you have absolutely 0 clue of what you're talking about, and when asked to provide an in-depth view (which you said you would) for some reason you managed to magically falter at providing any concrete information other than to say something akin to 'Well it's all sort of just the same' when it fact it is not.

That's a start and end to the debate all in a single post. ;)
I said that I would offer a detailed explanation of Google's business model if he wanted. He never replied to my offer. Me saying that their ToS are similar doesn't mean i "faltered at providing information". I'm always in pursuit of knowledge so please feel free to point out my errors :)

Edit: So I've looked again just to see if things may have changed in the privacy ToS of both companies. They still appear very similar to me.

Google: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Microsoft: http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/fullnotice.mspx

Last edited:

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
If WP got free, then most probably it will be adopting the freemium model google presents.

Would I stay with ms or switch to google or apple. I have no idea, I personally don't care about my data trail, but I don't like the concept of huge data, so most probably ill switch to apple. What all companies changed to a freemium model then I'll go with WP as i feel they have a very powerful theme for their OS that i like.

Back to the subject of cortana, I think it will be rendered useless if it doesn't learn from your data trail, hopefully they won't sell this data.
I agree. Thanks for talking with me.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I said that I would offer a detailed explanation of Google's business model if he wanted. He never replied to my offer. Me saying that their ToS are similar doesn't mean i "faltered at providing information". I'm always in pursuit of knowledge so please feel free to point out my errors :)

Edit: So I've looked again just to see if things may have changed in the privacy ToS of both companies. They still appear very similar to me.

Google: Privacy Policy ? Policies & Principles ? Google

Microsoft: Microsoft Online Privacy Statement

Ok let's see your explanation.

As long as I can opt out on MS following and collecting my data while I can't do the same with google, there's nothing you can really do to convince people that they are similar.

Also a ToC doesn't always cover what a company does and does not do, but mostly what they can and cannot do. I have yet to see any ads based on my emails for example.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923