iMessage like capability for WP 8.1?!

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
When will Microsoft get a messaging platform like iMessage for iPhone or something like BBM?? It is so great to have on the iPhone. It also seamlessly sends iMessages to your phone,iPad, and mac computer. It is awesome that I am able to "text" people from my computer and have it sent from "my phone" to their phones. Will Microsoft ever have something like this? Its amazing and should really be implemented in WP 8.1!

Just thought I'd share my thought. I love having it on my iPhone and MacBook Air. Would love for something like this to be on Windows. I am looking to possibly make that switch when WP 8.1 comes out in April!! Cheers. :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
When will Microsoft get a messaging platform like iMessage for iPhone or something like BBM?? It is so great to have on the iPhone. It also seamlessly sends iMessages to your phone,iPad, and mac computer. It is awesome that I am able to "text" people from my computer and have it sent from "my phone" to their phones. Will Microsoft ever have something like this? Its amazing and should really be implemented in WP 8.1!

Just thought I'd share my thought. I love having it on my iPhone and MacBook Air. Would love for something like this to be on Windows. I am looking to possibly make that switch when WP 8.1 comes out in April!! Cheers. :)
Skype >>>>>>>> iMessage.

iMessage is stuck with iOS. Skype is everywhere. WP, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, Phone X, laptop, Surface, iPad, PC, Mac, Xbox.

It will nneed fixing.

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Skype >>>>>>>> iMessage.

iMessage is stuck with iOS. Skype is everywhere. WP, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, Phone X, laptop, Surface, iPad, PC, Mac, Xbox.

It will nneed fixing.

what I don't understand is.. what does it mean when you say Skype? Will I be able to send stuff from my computer through my "cell phone" number or will it be through a Skype name? I don't use Skype.. how would this work?? How will a message get to my computer if I have Skype on. Will I get messages from cell phone numbers? If I send someone a message will it be from my cell phone number or a Skype name??

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
what I don't understand is.. what does it mean when you say Skype? Will I be able to send stuff from my computer through my "cell phone" number or will it be through a Skype name? I don't use Skype.. how would this work?? How will a message get to my computer if I have Skype on. Will I get messages from cell phone numbers? If I send someone a message will it be from my cell phone number or a Skype name??

signs are pointing to it being more like iMessage where you send stuff from computer via your cell phone number. Microsoft recently made it a requirement to log into Skype from a Microsoft account, which would suggest that they're bringing Skype under their wing as opposed to it's own entity. Just my guess though.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anything work quite as seamlessly as iMessage. In theory Skype could get there. But I've found messaging using facebook chat or Skype chat on WP to not be such a great experience -- missed notifications, no read/responding, multiple devices, etc. Also, when on facebook chat it seems to trigger people to message you just because they're lonely and poking around on facebook.

My girlfriend was upset when I switched to Windows phone because she couldn't tell if I had actually read her messages anymore. But sometimes it got me on iMessage too as I'd read her messages from the toast notification.

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen anything work quite as seamlessly as iMessage. In theory Skype could get there. But I've found messaging using facebook chat or Skype chat on WP to not be such a great experience -- missed notifications, no read/responding, multiple devices, etc. Also, when on facebook chat it seems to trigger people to message you just because they're lonely and poking around on facebook.

My girlfriend was upset when I switched to Windows phone because she couldn't tell if I had actually read her messages anymore. But sometimes it got me on iMessage too as I'd read her messages from the toast notification.

Also.. how has your switch gone so far? Going from Apple to WP? Which one do you have? Thanks! :)

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I hope not. iMessage is the reason I will never buy another Apple product.

Agree 100%. Apple kicks you in the a$$ if you leave the iphone behind. Now I cannot receive regular texts from people I used to text with my iphone, even though I unregistered my iphone and did everything possible. Apple knows this is a glitch on their end but they do not care.

tamburlaine138

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Agree 100%. Apple kicks you in the a$$ if you leave the iphone behind. Now I cannot receive regular texts from people I used to text with my iphone, even though I unregistered my iphone and did everything possible. Apple knows this is a glitch on their end but they do not care.

Precisely. It took me a week to get that issue resolved. If Apple is going to make it that difficult to stop using their products, I simply won't start. I'm planning on moving to a Windows phone when 8.1 comes out and some new models are released. I don't want Microsoft to use a stupid system that I hate.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

This is the biggest problem with switching from iPhone to any other OS because the average user will wonder why they no longer receive texts from people and think their phone is broken. I turned iMessage off on my old iPhone, unregistered it on the apple website and nothing. I had to delete the iPhone on the apple website to get it to work but it took me awhile to figure it out. Was just stupid.

The concept of iMessage being WIFI sent texts that use your data instead of a text messaging carrier plan is nice, including the read and such. Skype would be perfect for this since it wouldn't text your "number" it would text your Microsoft account which has a phone number attached to it. Then it could be a messaging app that works across all platforms without having to have a texting plan (or having a different plan for the rollover when you don't have WIFI or people who don't have Skype). I wouldn't mind it but MS would have some work to do which I think they are doing. Skype needs further integration to the OS to use Skype as the "facetime" of WP.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
iMessage is ok, but it's just for iOS devices and their market share gets smaller and smaller. Skype might be a solution, but to be honest, the Notification Center is probably going to make any of the other popular 3rd party apps BBM, WhatsApp, work a lot better and then you will be able to simply choose what to use based on what your friends use.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Currently you can already send messages to phone numbers via Skype on Desktop. What you can't do yet is have the same feature in mobile phones. The reason being Skype was always meant to be a service, used on desktops for video calling. Full stop. However, after coming under Microsoft, it's backend has changed. The way it delivers messages and receives them has changed. Now messages sync across devices - so I can start a chat on mobile and finish it off on my desktop. April update is supposed to bring in messages and notification sync too. This way you only get notified on the device you are active on. With all the added features, I don't see how you can't send a message to any cell phone number via Skype on mobile in future. However, I am not sure if this is a free service or will ever be. It has been a charged service on desktop if you call or text a mobile. So may be you will get it exactly the way you want it in a year's time but... not free.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Also.. how has your switch gone so far? Going from Apple to WP? Which one do you have? Thanks! :)

It has been a long time. I went from a 4s and got a Lumia 920 when that originally came out and then a 1520 on launch day.

Other than my girlfriend being unhappy about it (because her iMessage reverts to SMS with me) it has been fine. My kids have switched over to S4s so my pool of iPhone contacts has gotten small. I do miss facetime and airplay but that is about it.

I would say Samsung has helped put a massive dent into iMessage and facetime. So for me it isn't as much of a factor now being on WP.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
iMessage is nice if one has a lot of fruit devices as well as having a lot of other contacts with fruit devices. My wife has an iPhone 4, which she loves. Everyone on her side of the family has a fruity phone. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to pay $20/mo to AT&T for the privilege of texting. With my wife's iMessage, she doesn't run up a huge texting bill. I'm not a huge texter, but when I do, I prefer using Google Voice.

I hope Skype will be improved and have added functionality.

Jason Hendry

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
time to make all phonecalls and mms and sms free its time for charging per data plan. Bring it on windows apple and android makers

really? how come, I ask cause I just moved to windows and realized all the people I call are iPhone users lol I know this cause my big was big from sending pictures, I miss imessage we defiantly need something like it that's more universal than imessage and personally I think Skype fills that gap, but carriers are gona have to make all calls texts and pics free and charge by data instead, that way we will all have truly universal devises just like the internet is.

you can go to apple web site and unregister your imessage account, its easy and fast to do.

Skype needs to do something cause I have just started using whats app on my phone and its wonderful, give it a couple more years people wont even remember Skype, so Microsoft need to not let that happen, implement Skype into our windows phone and alow us via wif to use Skype, we do it already so putting it in windows phones aint gona make a massive difference it really isn't, it just means I can use Skype instead of whats app that's all. Or mumble or ventrillo or well theres loads to poick from, in the end Skype intergration isn't gona kill anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234