Is it safe?

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have password protected my user account in my Win 8.1 laptop. But as we all know, the user account password can be bypassed easily by using a bootable disk and the data can be accessed. To safeguard my data I've encrypted my files.

What about Windows 8 Phone? Is it safe to use Word, Excel or OneNote to read my files with only a single Lock Screen password? Can it bypassed? How can I password protect my Micro SD card from WP 8?

Any answer and explanation is heartily welcome.

Best Wishes,
ams963

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 is as safe as it gets. It is the most secure mobile OS (maybe after Blackberry 10), and you can rest assured that the Lock screen password can NOT be bypassed with any method. The bootloader is locked for every Windows Phone 8 device out there, and the OS uses Bitlocker technology to secure its internal storage. So, YES. You can safely store any documents on your phone and protect them with just a single lockscreen password. Even if you lose your phone, you can use the 'Find my phone' feature on windowsphone.com to locate/wipe/lock/ring your device.

I can't really say about the safety of SD cards, as I don't currently own a WP device with an SD card slot. Maybe the fellow members can help you out with it.

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 is as safe as it gets. It is the most secure mobile OS (maybe after Blackberry 10), and you can rest assured that the Lock screen password can NOT be bypassed with any method. The bootloader is locked for every Windows Phone 8 device out there, and the OS uses Bitlocker technology to secure its internal storage. So, YES. You can safely store any documents on your phone and protect them with just a single lockscreen password. Even if you lose your phone, you can use the 'Find my phone' feature on windowsphone.com to locate/wipe/lock/ring your device.
Ah that's great. Thank you for the assurance. I can have a peace of mind.:smile:

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm kind of worried about using documents on micro SD cards. Is there any protection? Now that we would be able to install apps in micro sd cards with 8.1, what would be security concerns when I would use a pdf reader installed in the sd card to access a document either in the card or in the phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of worried about using documents on micro SD cards. Is there any protection? Now that we would be able to install apps in micro sd cards with 8.1, what would be security concerns when I would use a pdf reader installed in the sd card to access a document either in the card or in the phone?

Until anyone chimes in about encryption support, i would assume that the card cannot be encrypted and usable by the phone at the same time.
Depending on the phone, the only thing between someone and the card's data would be whatever physical measures it takes to retrieve the card. (e.g. requiring a pin for the 720)
therefore I would store things onboard if I can and put less important stuff on the card.

I believe MS has security in mind when adding the install to SD option, but we can't know for sure until it officially drops.
If you had the PDF reader on the card (doesn't take much space though, games on the other hand...) I hope it would act normally with no difference in security since its just the app on the card, and anyone can download that.
As for the documents, its safest onboard and not on the card as of now.

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Until anyone chimes in about encryption support, i would assume that the card cannot be encrypted and usable by the phone at the same time.
Depending on the phone, the only thing between someone and the card's data would be whatever physical measures it takes to retrieve the card. (e.g. requiring a pin for the 720)
therefore I would store things onboard if I can and put less important stuff on the card.

I believe MS has security in mind when adding the install to SD option, but we can't know for sure until it officially drops.
If you had the PDF reader on the card (doesn't take much space though, games on the other hand...) I hope it would act normally with no difference in security since its just the app on the card, and anyone can download that.
As for the documents, its safest onboard and not on the card as of now.
Okay point taken. Thank you for taking time to explain and give advice. :smile:

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Now that WP 8.1 is in DP and many are using it, has there been any security update on MicroSD cards? I use L520 and the internal or phone's memory is not enough. I have set everything from photos to maps, to be saved in the memory card.

The security of the memory card is vital in the case of theft or unauthorized access to my phone. Anybody can take out the memory card and access the contents. Is there anyway to encrypt memory card as with the internal memory of the phone?

Best Wishes,
ams963

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Now that WP 8.1 is in DP and many are using it, has there been any security update on MicroSD cards? I use L520 and the internal or phone's memory is not enough. I have set everything from photos to maps, to be saved in the memory card.

The security of the memory card is vital in the case of theft or unauthorized access to my phone. Anybody can take out the memory card and access the contents. Is there anyway to encrypt memory card as with the internal memory of the phone?

Best Wishes,
ams963

to the best of my knowledge, i don't think the situation has changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon