The annoyance of limiting background tasks....

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the few things that bug me with windows phone.....having a limit on the number of background tasks that are allowed to run. It seems to me that there are loads of apps that run in the background these days. Its a pain having to juggle which ones you want to keep running.

Ideally, I want to have all of my social networks, news feeds, weather updates and shopping apps running in the background, that way the most up-to-date information is on hand when I'm on the move.

That, however, seems to be a technological bridge too far for windows as I'm constantly being directed into settings to block apps in order to make others run.

I haven't seen this happen on my mates iphone. It seems to me that she can run as many apps as she wants with no issues at all. I'm not sure if the same restrictions apply on android phones.

So, to the point of this rather rambling post........does anyone know if 8.1 is going to have similar background task restrictions as windows 8?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The answer is both yes and no. A lot of things for which an app developer may have created a background task for WP8.0 will no longer require such a task in WP8.1, meaning the number of apps that require such an entry in the list of background tasks will decrease, but the total number will still be limited.

We'll have to wait and see how this plays out. It depends on how quickly devs decide to offer a WP8.1 enabled version of their app, and how quickly they make use of those new features.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't encountered the issue yet on my 1520 for some reason but on my 920 background tasks were always failing to run.

MS plays it cautious when it comes to background tasks. It keeps the platform stable and fast but these issues can be annoying.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The answer is both yes and no. A lot of things for which an app developer may have created a background task for WP8.0 will no longer require such a task in WP8.1, meaning the number of apps that require such an entry in the list of background tasks will decrease, but the total number will still be limited.

We'll have to wait and see how this plays out. It depends on how quickly devs decide to offer a WP8.1 enabled version of their app, and how quickly they make use of those new features.

I suspect it will be rather slow. The enthusiasts will get 8.1 right away and then there will be the painfully slow carrier rollouts, probably some as late as 2015. iOS gets so much press on releases everyone rushes out to upgrade and they don't have the carrier getting in the way.

MS and Nokia apps should come sooner than later.

Developers already have 7.0 and 8.0 to deal with as it is.

THE_Lawnboy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am curious about this too. Very annoying to be greeted by that dialog every time you open an app. Something must be done about this if WP ever wants to take serious chunks of market share from Android and iOS. Your average consumer playing with a Lumia in the phone store is going to take that dialog as a very ominous sign and think the system must be fundamentally constrained in ways the others are not.

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, as of Windows Phone 8.1, the background task limit has been completely removed. I asked Taldron and he confirmed this for me.

Rejoice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthCrawler

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So I just tried checking for updates on my 8X and it found one and has started downloading. I registered my phone for the developer preview a couple of days ago. Don't know if it's 8.1 but it sure is downloading some update. Anyone else notice the same thing ?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Its just an update to your phone because of the dev preview - but it isn't windows phone 8.1. I signed up for it a couple days ago as well and when I did, the app told me that there was an update available...

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Its just an update to your phone because of the dev preview - but it isn't windows phone 8.1. I signed up for it a couple days ago as well and when I did, the app told me that there was an update available...

I took a screenshot of the update version number...it was listed as 'minor bug fixes'.

From the link below: "The most recent update you have mentioned in this post included minor bug fixes and performance improvements."

Microsoft Update 8.0.10521.155;

What is new on 8.0.10521.155?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)