Transfer My Data Text Message Option missing

kvasko

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Today I tried to migrate my data from Lumia 1020 to Lumia 820. The restore process restored everything except the Text Messages, therefore I have tried to use the Nokia's Transfer My Data software. After I started this software on Lumia 820 and I created the bluethooth connection the software showed up that I can transfer the contacts only and it wasn't any possibility to transfer the text messages. To tell the truth I didn't find the Text Message Option in spite of I have many text messages on my Lumia1020. What I did wrong? Is it not possible to transfer the text messages between 2 Nokia Phone 8 devices? :crying:

Thanks for your help/answer in advance!

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a Nokia Icon and wanted to transfer text messages from my old Nokia 928. The only thing that shows up as being transferable are contacts...which are, of course, backed up and restored already. Seems odd that I was able to transfer text messages from a Droid 4 to a Nokia phone, but am incapable of transferring between two Nokia phones...

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Anyone have experience transferring data between two WP8/Nokia phones?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you login with the same account, they will restore to the Icon. They are backed up invisibly. Give it a little time.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It might be in a muddle now. If you've linked them both to the same MS account and then tried to Bluetooth them across too you may end up with duplicates, or it's just sat there erroring in the background.
The restore should have brought them across, but they take a little while. Possibly only on a WiFi connection(?).
There were some amendments to the outlook.com URL you could make to expose the hidden folder they are all backed up in, but I think they no longer work. There's a few threads around on those if you fancy giving them a go.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you login with the same account, they will restore to the Icon. They are backed up invisibly. Give it a little time.

Ah, thanks! Yea, so I didn't have "backup messages" clicked on my old Nokia 928. I just clicked it, and let it sit for a while. Now everything is backed up to both phones. Pretty nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I might have spoke too soon. It looks like a lot of the messages backed up, but there were a couple of months that didn't get restored to my new phone. It looks like all was going well in that it was restoring a lot of messages, basically up to a certain date (it got December from last year up until about April...and now is missing May until now).

I'm not sure if that's because it failed to backup the old messages from the old phone or failed to restore messages to the new phone (since it's a "black box", it seems there's no way for me to investigate). I've tried turning each phone on/off and letting each sit on wi-fi for a few hours. It seems it's still stuck where it was before. I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do, I'll just let them sit over night, see what happens. Worst case, I don't get those messages...although being a tech guy, it'll bug me to know why it didn't work and that I'm unable to troubleshoot and debug in any way...I love WP8, but I really wish there was at least the option to tinker with things a little bit more.

I'll check out the "hotmail" folder idea, I remember hearing about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon