Inside The OS: Google Code?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Google pays MSFT for their Nexus devices. All Androids in some or the other way end up using Microsoft's patented technology. Remember, Microsoft is the leader in tech who laid out the foundation of what computers, consoles and phones are today.

Google, and Motorola until they are acquired by Lenovo, are actually two of the only Android makers that don't pay Microsoft (though LG may on the Nexus devices).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Google, and Motorola until they are acquired by Lenovo, are actually two of the only Android makers that don't pay Microsoft (though LG may on the Nexus devices).

I thought Microsoft was paid only on Android devices that have an SD card because of the FAT32 format. Is it something else?

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
there is surely code that is meant to interact with google services in the form of email, and possible handling youtube videos. However I wouldn't say it is tracking you. Keep in mind however that WP completely lacks a browser ecosystem due to the stupidity of the MSFT leadership and their paranoia of native interop. Therefore you can make android more private and more secure than the locked down WP. You can kill the google services, run browsers designed with privacy in mind. With WP the best you can hope for is giving the finger to google, but that's a about it. IE mobile is a mediocre browser made even more mediocre by the lack of competition. It's like IE back in the windows days before FF light up a fire under their arse!

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know more about what seems to be an unreasonable degree of hatred towards a corporate entity. Any chance you can tell us the long story? :D

Also, on your last point: Google doesn't pay MS anything, it's the OEMs like Samsung et al. This is widely believed to be due to the fact that some Android phones, those with SD card slots, use the FAT32 filesystem and they pay MS a fee for this. It is not applicable to other handsets.

Finally: there have been rumours of a possible Dalvik/ART runtime emulator that may become available for WP, allowing it to run some Android apps. This may sound highly unlikely, but after the Nokia X announce nothing seems impossible anymore...

From what i've read, MS is making big money on this stuff, and I was under the impression it was because of patented technologies present in Android the OS, not so much just the guys building the hardware but if that's how it is, there is still some funny sense or irony there, so I think :)

As for Google Inc, i'm sure my disdain may be unreasonable but in my view they represent the ultimate intrusion in privacy and personal data mining. Their capabilities for data collection seem to run unnecessarily deep and that caveat is tied to literally ever product and/or service they offer. Android in its root approach is a stroke of genius at it's tactic is clever: penetration by making it's OS free. You are at that point tied into Google services left and right which has its own data mining capacities but that aside, the OS itself once activated is a total data mining farm. Seriously, Google doesn't exactly have any concept of the word privacy, and to me its far far more about principle rather than having anything to hide. If that precept does not make any sense, then there is no way to explain myself further.

Next up, I am stubborn and unforgiving when it comes to tech, and when I can see valid reasons to hate something and want nothing to do with it, I will. Google's own CEO once described Google Inc as "an advertising platform first, a services company second." I would not trust something as heavily as I do my smartphone to a company with such a philosophy. Targeted advertising thru data collection is a part of using the internet but I am convinced Google takes it a little too deep and I could neither respect nor appreciate such excessive attempts at nailing one's data privacy. I hate their Android OS so much, such a horribly broken OS. It's Linux kernel is around 15 million lines of cod, not to mention a huge Java layer on top. The Linux kernel is a mess with stuff in there like developer comments that say things like "is this supposed to he here". To understand what I mean research the differences between the Linux kernel and the BSD kernel to better understand what I mean. Very processor inefficient which is why you need massive hardware to make it run smooth and perform really well. Android is still the least secure platform on the market, and even companies with the size and money of Samsung have not been hugely successful (with reference to Knox) in making Android secure. There are plenty of entities out there of all sizes who support Android (alongside everything else) at the Enterprise level, but not exclusively and only Android is one I've ever read posts and opinions from IT admins who proclaim they won't go anywhere near it or have dubbed it a security nightmare. If you believe my opinion of how awful Android data security is, step away from this conversation for a minute and do a small handful of searches on Android security, Android malware, Android data breaches, etc.

Do forgive all of my rambling. I do that. All I can say is that I have far too many ideas of things involving Google Inc that I find unacceptable and even if every single opinion I hold is dead wrong (and I know I'm not about their data mining and anti-privacy practices, its in their various fine prints), I nonetheless will not associate myself with anything to do with them. They don't offer anything I can't find elsewhere and to me they are devious because they offer services and products like Android that people love, that genuinely rock and are fantastic for all sorts of people, but at what cost? Again, we're talking about a sort of personal principle here that you either understand or do not, so it has nothing to do with the context of my text messages or something silly like that.
And I love ttinfoil hats.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to apologize by the way for grammar or spelling typos, I am having a real struggle having to concentrate so hard on typing via this virtual keyboard. I've relied on a real qwerty for so many years. My typing speed floated around 70wpm+ with my BlackBerrys, now I wouldn't want to know and I no longer get the luxury of not needing to look down at the keyboard to type. Hope I get there someday lol :D

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Google pays MSFT for their Nexus devices. All Androids in some or the other way end up using Microsoft's patented technology. Remember, Microsoft is the leader in tech who laid out the foundation of what computers, consoles and phones are today.

Lol. MSFT is the leader in enterprise software and consumer operating systems, nothing else.

"Leader in tech" would be say Motorola with the first mobile phone, or IBM for PC-DOS (which Gates bought for $50k and made it MS' first commercial product) or Apple with the original Macintosh II.

It's completely false that Android is fundamentally reliant on MS' patents. The only thing is the FAT patent which as of today only applies to phones with microSD slots - you must have FAT on these devices to allow consumers to use them with Windows.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Do forgive all of my rambling. I do that. All I can say is that I have far too many ideas of things involving Google Inc that I find unacceptable and even if every single opinion I hold is dead wrong (and I know I'm not about their data mining and anti-privacy practices, its in their various fine prints), I nonetheless will not associate myself with anything to do with them. They don't offer anything I can't find elsewhere and to me they are devious because they offer services and products like Android that people love, that genuinely rock and are fantastic for all sorts of people, but at what cost? Again, we're talking about a sort of personal principle here that you either understand or do not, so it has nothing to do with the context of my text messages or something silly like that.

I understand - while personally I find that the services I get are worth the data I provide, I can see how you would think different. Personally, I've been working in the digital advertising industry for a couple years now (IT management for a large agency) and I've found that these claims of how Google sells data are exaggerated.

Can I ask then, why are you okay with Microsoft harvesting data then? A lot of things, like search ads in Windows 8.1, I find far worse. At least Google only tracks my searches on the Internet. Microsoft tried to take over my local search. And this recent one - Microsoft is using your data to target political ads on Xbox Live - is about how MSFT is asking the Republicans to buy ads on Xbox Live, and they plan to use my data to target. What I mean to say is, I have basically no trust for both MSFT and Google, but I would prefer Google over MSFT. Google has more to lose by allowing my data to be hacked and stolen.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
From what i've read, MS is making big money on this stuff, and I was under the impression it was because of patented technologies present in Android the OS, not so much just the guys building the hardware but if that's how it is, there is still some funny sense or irony there, so I think :)

As for Google Inc, i'm sure my disdain may be unreasonable but in my view they represent the ultimate intrusion in privacy and personal data mining. Their capabilities for data collection seem to run unnecessarily deep and that caveat is tied to literally ever product and/or service they offer. Android in its root approach is a stroke of genius at it's tactic is clever: penetration by making it's OS free. You are at that point tied into Google services left and right which has its own data mining capacities but that aside, the OS itself once activated is a total data mining farm. Seriously, Google doesn't exactly have any concept of the word privacy, and to me its far far more about principle rather than having anything to hide. If that precept does not make any sense, then there is no way to explain myself further.

Next up, I am stubborn and unforgiving when it comes to tech, and when I can see valid reasons to hate something and want nothing to do with it, I will. Google's own CEO once described Google Inc as "an advertising platform first, a services company second." I would not trust something as heavily as I do my smartphone to a company with such a philosophy. Targeted advertising thru data collection is a part of using the internet but I am convinced Google takes it a little too deep and I could neither respect nor appreciate such excessive attempts at nailing one's data privacy. I hate their Android OS so much, such a horribly broken OS. It's Linux kernel is around 15 million lines of cod, not to mention a huge Java layer on top. The Linux kernel is a mess with stuff in there like developer comments that say things like "is this supposed to he here". To understand what I mean research the differences between the Linux kernel and the BSD kernel to better understand what I mean. Very processor inefficient which is why you need massive hardware to make it run smooth and perform really well. Android is still the least secure platform on the market, and even companies with the size and money of Samsung have not been hugely successful (with reference to Knox) in making Android secure. There are plenty of entities out there of all sizes who support Android (alongside everything else) at the Enterprise level, but not exclusively and only Android is one I've ever read posts and opinions from IT admins who proclaim they won't go anywhere near it or have dubbed it a security nightmare. If you believe my opinion of how awful Android data security is, step away from this conversation for a minute and do a small handful of searches on Android security, Android malware, Android data breaches, etc.

Get a life you not THAT important for Google to steal your information and violate your personal privacy...

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Kashan, your attempt at insult is cute but really, its nothing to do with being important, you are missing the point entirely.

Markham, because one, I don't feel their penetration is as excessive, but mainly, because Microsoft is not primarily an advertising company penetrating everyone's lives by giving away a horribly insecure piece of um...software that keeps an awful lot of secrets from the average person walking into a store checking out smartphones.

I don't know what else to say, Its not complicated, I simply have a list of reasons in my head as to why I absolutely do not respect the company whatsoever and as such, I will not associate with them whatsoever. If you do not like a certain product or brand for any reason, you don't buy or use their stuff right? That should apply to almost anything, not just technology.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
In fact I'll share something as honestly as I can. The biggest marks of an arrogant and/or ignorant human being are close mindedness and unrestrained spite. Not just Google or tech for that matter but anything, if I have a handful of reasons to not respect or appreciate something, or if I feel that something is genuinely wrong to the core, I will despise it with full heart and keep it out of my life to the best of my ability. I suppose, say for example, a Google rep called me why I won't give them a chance or to explain my absolute disdain for their company, I might resort to answering "because f*** you and everything you represent" and hang up. Conversely, if I find a fair number of reasons to appreciate and thoroughly enjoy something that doesn't give my simple head red flags, I will be a loyal little consumer.

Like I said, I've perhaps got some atrocious character flaws but feeling self important isn't one of them. I speak with my actions and my money which tend to hold more weight than simply voicing an opinion (unless you're in this kind of setting, where discussion is meant to happen and be totally open.)

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In fact I'll share something as honestly as I can. The biggest marks of an arrogant and/or ignorant human being are close mindedness and unrestrained spite. Not just Google or tech for that matter but anything, if I have a handful of reasons to not respect or appreciate something, or if I feel that something is genuinely wrong to the core, I will despise it with full heart and keep it out of my life to the best of my ability. I suppose, say for example, a Google rep called me why I won't give them a chance or to explain my absolute disdain for their company, I might resort to answering "because f*** you and everything you represent" and hang up. Conversely, if I find a fair number of reasons to appreciate and thoroughly enjoy something that doesn't give my simple head red flags, I will be a loyal little consumer.

Like I said, I've perhaps got some atrocious character flaws but feeling self important isn't one of them. I speak with my actions and my money which tend to hold more weight than simply voicing an opinion (unless you're in this kind of setting, where discussion is meant to happen and be totally open.)

Oh, OK Dr. Phil. 😊

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb