WiFi on Windows Phone 8.1 runs under lockscreen

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This basically connects you to WiFi hotspots without asking you when it finds one and helps you to save cellular data.

cool, that's nice, but what about the turn on after a period of time? If I already bothered to turn it off and set a timer, couldn't I just turn it in when I need it? Oh, it is just set, when ever I turn off WiFi it will turn on after my predefined period? But then my trips out of WiFi land are variable I don't always go out for an hour or 4 hours.

This feature still doesn't make sense to me, "WiFi sense" hehe

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand this feature, and is it available on android or IOS?

As someone else pointed out, I doubt that's what it implies. I'm thinking more like automatically connecting to the WiFi at your friends house if he has WiFi sense enabled on his device. Pretty neat actually.

Jakeway

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The setting to ensure the wifi is on under your lock screen seems to have gone in the last update.

I assume that wifi now always runs under the lock screen?

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The setting to ensure the wifi is on under your lock screen seems to have gone in the last update.

I too was wondering about this, and from what I've noticed it doesn't as soon as I pass the lockscreen the wifi is reconnecting!

Teeeerex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

WiFi on WP 8.1 now works on the principle AlwaysOnAlwaysConnected (AOAC) on compatible hardware. The driver and the hardware need to support low power states of the networking modem, and when under lock screen, it will enter into low power state. It's (almost) all there in the documentation.

Always On Always Connected (AOAC) power management

Windows Phone 8.1 supports Wi-Fi Always On Always Connected (AOAC) power management features such as:

Keeping Wi-Fi on and connected (if already connected) when the phone screen turns off.

Sending the Wi-Fi radio to standby state (low power state) when the phone screen is off.

Scanning for and connecting to a set of Wi-Fi networks when the phone screen is off, at a lower power consumption level than normal Wi-Fi operation.

A set of phone apps can register to be woken up by incoming packets when the phone is in a connected standby state.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos