Getting WP as a gift? Which one?

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I was going to get my father a windows phone as a gift. I know he will not use it for games and will more than likely use it for eBay, photos, email, texting, and of course phone calls. While we are in a 4g lte area, I'm sure that is not going to matter much.

So, with all that in mind, I was thinking of getting the 520 that is at the MS store off contract for him to use on att till he switches to straight talk. I was offered a Verizon 928 for about the same price from a friend and it looks like it will work with both networks.

My question is, which one would be the best the best for the price and have the least problems going forward with straight talk?

Sent from my Lumia1520 using Tapatalk

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about carrier locked phones as I'm from India but considering that you get 928 at the price of 520, I will tell you to go with the 928.

But in case you want 8.1 to run smoothly on the phone for the foreseeable future, consider the 525 with 1GB of RAM. And 520 and 525 don't have the GlanceScreen, which is something seniors would love.

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Right now, he is locked in a att contract. The idea is that in three months when his contract ends to get the att straight talk sim. T-Mobile is not available in this area.

As far as I know, the 525 is not easy to find in this area besides eBay. WP8.1 is not going to be a big deal to him, but smooth operation is going to be. I'm sure a phone with 1GB of ram will be important for the smooth operation.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
What's your budget?
You mentioned, that you've been offered a phone from a friend. Second hand? Are you up for second hand device?
Are you "locked" to those 2 phones, 520 and 928? Or willing to consider other options too?

I think, answering these questions will help others to help you.

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm locked into about $100 (us). I don't really need to get him a flag ship product since he is not that into the smart phone thing. He just wants enough to get his email and eBay while doing his civil war re-enactments on the weekends.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
if I was you i'd get him large screen windows phone you would want him to be more comfortable using large screen WP for browsing texting email and taking pictures

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
if I was you i'd get him large screen windows phone you would want him to be more comfortable using large screen WP for browsing texting email and taking pictures

baby steps for him. Right now I want to get him used to a smart phone first. That and discrete is best at a historical event.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I bought a couple of 720's from ebay not long ago. they are the international versions and you have to check from the seller that they work in the ATT frequencies. The ones I got did.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I bought my dad a 520 during Black Friday at a steal. It's his first smart phone. It's easy for him to use and to this day, still works fine. He works out in the fields and the phone is exposed to the elements. If you do want something a step up, it would be the 820. Check Craigslist in your area for Lumias available.

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and just got him a L520. Might not be the best phone, but with his birthday vastly approaching I had to do something quick. The offer from my friend just seemed to never work, he kept forgetting to bring me the phone and always an excuse! I hope he likes it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon