Talking NFC in Windows Phone 8.1

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey there folks,

I did some research and found not much about the new NFC specifications in WP 8.1.
I read that you will be able to perform things like turn WiFi on/off and not just open the WiFi settings. What about more complex things like adding a secure WiFi SSID+ password to your phone or checking in at foursquare without opening an app?

Is there any leaked information about such scenarios?

Would love to see those things. Android is way more into NFC.

Cheers

lordsnow

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
NFC is really useless on Windows Phone 8. Doesn't have access to actions in the system and always ask for permission.
I didn't read any word about a change on it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard of a trusted NFC thing earlier where it won't ask for permission for certain predetermined things. I dont know about additional functionality.

Daniel Winn

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
In the running list of new 8.1 features within WPC forum, it is stated you can "approve" NFC apps so no need to respond on screen for those approved.

What hasn't been answered for me is what one can actually approve like will one be able to use an NFC tag/ring to unlock the phone? Or looking at it from the other side, are there some functions NFC will be locked out of in 8.1 from accessing?

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Will WP be able to interact with more NFC tags? Because currently it can't format Android ones, which is a pain in the neck and obviously just an issue with MS...

Daniel Winn

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
There has been some great videos and information of new/enhanced features of 8.1, but not much concerning NFC past the "leaks" over a month ago, does anyone have new information?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, we have NFC for making payments with a secure sim..... but does it work?? I may have to hunt down an ISIS AT&T secure sim to find out....

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Lumia 1520 two weeks ago and was assured by the AT&T rep that the new SIM which I was getting is one of the new secure SIMs compatible with wireless payments. How can I verify if this is true? Does anyone know if there are any other steps necessary to set up our phones to work with NFC payment systems like ISIS and PayPass?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6