04-04-2014 01:26 PM
59 123
tools
    Apps are paid everywhere and on every platform. Games like Angry Birds, Cut the rope may seem free on android, but they are full of crappy and adult ads.
    I have never seen an adult advertisement in an Android app (my Google account has Safe Search switched off and Google knows I am over 18). Have you seen one?
    03-10-2014 04:45 PM
    Don't switch if you need to be convinced by others. Use the platform that you really like, because you'll always be more comfortable there. Perhaps when WP is more mature you won't even need convincing.
    Guytronic and BobLobIaw like this.
    03-10-2014 04:50 PM
    I have never seen an adult advertisement in an Android app (my Google account has Safe Search switched off and Google knows I am over 18). Have you seen one?
    lol, Google provides ads based on users' usage history, so perhaps our friend here have had some....adult-only history? ;)
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    03-10-2014 04:51 PM
    I'm a long time android user from day one, before that windows mobile. Its taken android almost 7 years to get where it is now but it has gone stagnant just like apple has, the difference between 4.1 and 4.4 isn't as big as people think, mostly bug fixes as well the same with apple. Look at the s5 vs s4 Samsung added what a blood pressure monitor wow that's a huge upgrade (not) like I said android is going stagnant and Microsoft is still coming up, and to make the point its not Google that makes those features its Samsung,HTC,LG so its not the software, well it is but it isn't. Now don't say its because of hardware that we can't have the same features on a WP, the 1520 runs the same hardware so yes its back to MS and there development team that is to lazy to introduce things like smart stay, smart pause, fingerprint scanner, there is no hardware excuse anymore.

As far as apps, there's like 100 apps that does the same thing on android and the same with apple and that's because its so much easier to cook an app on android.
    Now free apps on android vs paid for the same of WP, yea Microsoft that ain't cool.

So look at it this way you can stay with android and be on the down slop as far as development or come hear and deal with the slow crawl catch up over here.

I can say I like how much faster and smoother that WP runs over android, apps I only used 3 on android titanium backup, root explore, and system monitor pro.

I guess for me its I've been there done that with android and just how slow Google is with really taking the next step in really developing the os.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-10-2014 05:12 PM
    I've recently moved from iOS on an iPhone 5 to Windows, but my wife has Android on her HTC One.

I really like the Windows operating system, but a lot of the apps are just nowhere near as well developed as the Android or iOS versions. Most look really nice, but often lack some of their cousin's functionality.

When I'm struggling in finding a specific app, I use my wife's phone and always find something in the Play Store. Or if want to use a fully functioning app such as eBay, I again borrow her phone.

But, and this is the biggie for me, when I need to take a photo, there isn't another phone on the market I'd prefer to have in my pocket, out comes my 1020 and all is very good! The Nokia Camera app is great and provides full manual control with easily accessed functions, often far easier to access than some cheaper DSLR cameras that hide many of their functions deep within their menus.

I do still love the base operating system, it's smooth in operation and looks great.

For me, the amazing camera overrides the app situation shortfall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by deer_dodger; 03-10-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    03-10-2014 05:37 PM
    You didn't give any reason why you want to leave Android, so why even consider it?
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-10-2014 06:52 PM
    After switching to Windows Phone, Android just seems like a mess now
    Pranjal Rai likes this.
    03-10-2014 08:04 PM
    [warn] There will be NO further trolling in this thread. If you don't have anything that contributes to the thread don't post. Otherwise infractions will be issued and the thread will be closed [/warn]
    03-10-2014 08:12 PM
    WP is getting better. It is not even at Apex yet but it is attracting people I know who once scoffed at my WP. So most of those apps are there, some are not. Google as you know doesn't like WP so they offer no support. So if you are in their ecosystem, it may not be a good switch unless you are willing to change ecosystems. But right now, WP is a viable option, with Android...

013 in figures:

• Nearly 145,000 new malicious programs for mobile devices detected in 2013, more than three times the previous year’s figure of 40,059 samples. As of January 1 this year, Kaspersky Lab’s collection included almost 190,000 mobile malware samples.
    • 98.1% of all mobile malware detected in 2013 targeted Android devices.
    • Approximately 4 million malicious applications used by cybercriminals to distribute mobile malware for Android-based devices. A total of 10 million malicious Android apps detected in 2012-2013.
    Laura Knotek and neo158 like this.
    03-10-2014 08:34 PM
    About the discrepancy in app count, I believe the answer is that Android and iOS are 'older' platforms so their is a lot of online material available to allow developers to quickly start making apps. Esp on Android, since you don't even have too go through a review process. The problem with WP8 is that, the material available is scattered and if you don't know where too look, its an exercise in futility.

Take SMB share apps for example. On Android their is an open source JCIFS library which any one can use and quickly create a file explorer. A similar library is available on iOS too. This means that developers, indie or otherwise, can quickly come up with an app that is commercially viable for them. Now doing the same thing on WP8 is also possible, but it takes more time and effort and a free version with adds may not be commercially viable. This is why some of the apps that are free on Android and even iOS will be charged on WP8.

Having said that; I switched to a Windows Phone 8 device around 13 months back, and I can safely say that now the app situation is much much better than what it was back then. I am sure as time goes on, it will be even better than it is now.

Why not give it a try and if you don't like it switch back? Get a used lumia, try it out, and if you don't like it stay with Android.
    Last edited by Mohammad Arshad; 03-11-2014 at 12:48 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-2014 10:14 PM
    Check my posts, I have been experiencing growing pangs, as it were. Bottom line is you need to convince yourself to switch...no one can convince you. I am eagerly awaiting 8.1, but I switched (back and forth) from my S4. There are app shortcomings, for sure. You have to pay for far more than you ever did on Android. And some of the "base" features aren't here yet. But if you want out of the Google ecosystem, and don't care for Apple (like me), you won't be too sorely disappointed.

Sounds like maybe you should wait for 8.1, then give this another look...
    03-10-2014 10:36 PM
    I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
    Facebook
    Twitter app with lists
    Facebook pages manager
    Facebook messenger
    Hoot suite
    Chase bank
    Google hangouts
    Snapchat
    Instagram
    Pinterest
    Gmail
    Outlook
    Google drive
    Hangouts
    Mail chimp
    Square
    WordPress
    Pulse news
    Reddit
    Pocket
    Foursquare
    YouTube
    Pandora
    Google music
    Xbox smartglass
    Media player that can use multi file types
    Chromecast apps
    Netflix
    Craigslist
    Eventbrite
    A Great Podcast app
    Skitch
    Google voice
    Workflowy
    I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    You might as well pack a bag son. You don't need android as we have 95 percent of that list and then some.
    mickydale and taymur like this.
    03-10-2014 11:35 PM
    Stick with android. I once switched to wp, and it was worst mobile experience I ever had. if you are coming from android, try on your own risk.

- Rocking on my LG G2.
    03-10-2014 11:44 PM
    Stick with android. I once switched to wp, and it was worst mobile experience I ever had. if you are coming from android, try on your own risk.

- Rocking on my LG G2.
    Wrong forum m8

- chilling on my Lumia
    Jazmac, mickydale and BobLobIaw like this.
    03-10-2014 11:46 PM

- Rocking on my LG G2.
    I have a Lumia 810 and an N4 and from a OS point, I prefer WP in spades over Android KitKat 4.4.2. I'd use my phone as a hotspot and use a tablet over using my N4, the apps on Android have more functionality but they are not as fluid to use. This is my opinion only, YMMV.
    03-11-2014 01:32 AM
    I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
    Facebook
    Twitter app with lists
    Facebook pages manager
    Facebook messenger
    Hoot suite
    Chase bank
    Google hangouts
    Snapchat
    Instagram
    Pinterest
    Gmail
    Outlook
    Google drive
    Hangouts
    Mail chimp
    Square
    WordPress
    Pulse news
    Reddit
    Pocket
    Foursquare
    YouTube
    Pandora
    Google music
    Xbox smartglass
    Media player that can use multi file types
    Chromecast apps
    Netflix
    Craigslist
    Eventbrite
    A Great Podcast app
    Skitch
    Google voice
    Workflowy
    I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    There's really no need to convince you. I came from ios and nobody convinced me. To me there's no bad OS which is why I never understood the bickering back and forth from different OS users like it's turf warfare. To each their own. I've been with Android, iOS and now am with WP and I love it, but that's because I don't care that it doesn't have every single app out there.
    03-11-2014 02:06 AM
    There's really no need to convince you. I came from ios and nobody convinced me. To me there's no bad OS which is why I never understood the bickering back and forth from different OS users like it's turf warfare. To each their own. I've been with Android, iOS and now am with WP and I love it, but that's because I don't care that it doesn't have every single app out there.
    10 thumbs up from me to Mr. AngrySprintUser (one of me favorite user names)
    All I can type is:
    Yoop
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    03-11-2014 02:10 AM
    there is this problem solving technique used by a lot of people which is the 20%-80% chart (Pareto chart) which prioritizes issues by importance or impact and so on, I guess Microsoft is using this from day one.

20% of the apps in the google and apple stores serve 80% of the users, that's a broad statement please take it in its simple form, Microsoft are working very hard on getting those 20% apps for now. Microsoft is soo close in achieving its goal covering the 20% apps and you can feel it in the store and in the good people in this forum, with new avatars every day :).

What does this 20% thing mean?
    It means that if you are a normal (average) user with no special app need (like an app made for astronauts or south pole invaders) , you are more likely to be one of the 80% user base, which means switching to WP will satisfy more than 95% of your app and functionalities needs, and if you get a Lumia you will get more services that are not available on other platforms, which will make you happy.

In addition, the OS is fluid, with a clear design language, and im pretty sure you will like WP8.1

Oh there is one draw back, you will love the OS to the level you will start buying all set of devices, I know I did, a laptop with W8.1, a surface2 with W8.1RT, and a Lumia with WP8 (soon WP8.1 cant wait).
    Last edited by taymur; 03-11-2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: grammer
    03-11-2014 02:26 AM
    Well, wpcentral app have more features and better than the available on WP.
    I am not asking why apps are paid, I am asking why it is paid on WP only.
    And what about the Moli player. It cost $3 in WP but free on Android.
    About Angry Birds, you can get ad free to. Android is better because it offers you choice. If you have money to spend enjoy it and if you don't then still enjoy it.
    WP doesn't offer this choice. I purchased almost all Angry Birds version but when I match the quality and features my brother Android phone( angry birds with ads ). It was lot better on Android.
    Why the **** I spend my money when others get superior quality at free? Answer that.

About WP developers, I think they are the group of laziest persons.
    Lets take an example . File Manger all time highly demanded feature is still unknown.
    And the features you are talking about that WP provide are very obvious one. Seriously you think Auto rotate screen on/off and closing apps from multi tasking screen provided because user asked them. Answer is no, these features comes anyway whether users asked or not. WP developers might be sitting and laughing at us by reading suggestion site.
    They will provide what they like what not users like.

So, I would request you to stop protecting WP. If WP is good then it users might increase upto 5% atleast. But in 4 years WP still not able to touch 4% global market share.why?
    Because WP isn't providing what users want.
    Okay, dude looks like you're clearly angry at WP for some reason, i don't know what. But think about it like this.
    Developers create paid apps for 'only' WP beacause, it has a low marketshare, and they think that developing apps on it won't give them much profit, as compared to other platforms. The only way, WE as users can stop it from happening is increasing the marketshare, that means in short, promoting windows phone. Yes, buying it Will help. Thats the whole logic. Get it?

And also, regarding the file manager thing, its a limitation of the OS, there is noone who can do a thing about it in the world, unless microsoft grants them the API.
    03-11-2014 02:31 AM
    there is this problem solving technique used by a lot of people which is the 20%-80% chart (Pareto chart) which prioritizes issues by importance or impact and so on, I guess Microsoft is using this from day one.

20% of the apps in the google and apple stores serve 80% of the users, that's a broad statement please take it in its simple form, Microsoft are working very hard on getting those 20% apps for now. Microsoft is soo close in achieving its goal covering the 20% apps and you can feel it in the store and in the good people in this forum, with new avatars every day :).

What does this 20% thing mean?
    It means that if you are a normal (average) user with no special app need (like an app made for astronauts or a south pole invaders) , you are more likely to be one of the 80% user base, which means switching to WP will satisfy more than 95% of your app and functionalities needs, and if you get a Lumia you will get more services that are not available on other platforms, which will make you happy.

In addition, the OS is fluid, with a clear design language, and im pretty sure you will like WP8.1

Oh there is one draw back, you will love the OS to the level you will start buying all set of devices, I know I did, a laptop with W8.1, a surface2 with W8.1RT, and a Lumia with WP8 (soon WP8.1 cant wait).
    Very interesting ... and kind of what I was thinking.
    There are app junkies and there are users.
    Apps generally mean little to someone like myself.
    I think I'm a 20% type so even as a former Androidian I seldom haunted Google Play.

Good point there Mr. taymur!
    BobLobIaw and taymur like this.
    03-11-2014 02:35 AM
    You just have to experience it. I would recommend Lumia phones because of the extras they come with.
    Rainmarie likes this.
    03-11-2014 02:52 AM
    Check my posts, I have been experiencing growing pangs, as it were. Bottom line is you need to convince yourself to switch...no one can convince you. I am eagerly awaiting 8.1, but I switched (back and forth) from my S4. There are app shortcomings, for sure. You have to pay for far more than you ever did on Android. And some of the "base" features aren't here yet. But if you want out of the Google ecosystem, and don't care for Apple (like me), you won't be too sorely disappointed.

Sounds like maybe you should wait for 8.1, then give this another look...
    I've always wondered what "base" features of a smartphone are missing. Can WP make and receive calls, yes. Can WP send and receive text and MMS messages, yes. Can WP send and receive email, yes and can WP show your calendar, yes.

Therefore all the "base" features of a smartphone are available, if you don't use those features then that doesn't mean those features are missing does it. If you're going to mention a File Manager then remember, AOSP Android and many of the forks which includes the one by Google don't have one by default and neither does iOS.
    mpt15, BobLobIaw and Guytronic like this.
    03-11-2014 07:45 AM
    The only way to know what Os you want for your phone is to try them all.
    taymur, BobLobIaw and Guytronic like this.
    03-11-2014 08:06 AM
    "Say 'Apps' again. I dare you -- I double dare you mother******!!!!"
    AliNSiddiqui likes this.
    03-11-2014 10:23 AM
    Wrong forum m8
    Why?
    03-11-2014 11:07 AM
59 123