04-04-2014 01:26 PM
59 123
tools
    I quit Android right a few weeks after the release of Jelly Bean. Not official release but XDA custom rom released so I do not know how far Android has gotten.

I now have an Icon and I must say its all I ever need because the apps are their and phone functions. Also, 8.1 is around the corner.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-11-2014 11:10 AM
    Stick with android. I once switched to wp, and it was worst mobile experience I ever had. if you are coming from android, try on your own risk.

- Rocking on my LG G2.
    Very detailed and well thought out post.
    berty6294, tgp, BobLobIaw and 3 others like this.
    03-11-2014 11:18 AM
    I came from android three weeks ago and where I was happy for the past few years. After using my icon I doubt I'll ever go back. The OS is so smooth. I thought my HTC ONE was smooth. Nokia and the icon using wp8 rewrote the book on the definition of smooth IMHO.
    This said, I thought there would be some app adjustments I would need to make and I was right. Making the various adjustments has been fun and educational. I missed Google maps and the Google map knockoff in the store isn't as good at all, but guess what Nokia drive does what I need for navigation and Google maps(the 3rd party knockoff) gives me great overviews so its good also. I've made numerous other adjustments to be able to do what I need.
    Going into the WP system with the icon I was never sure if it would work or if I'd miss android and my ONE, so I was fully prepared to go back and return the icon. They'd have to pry it out of my hands forcefully after just less than a week with it. I sold the ONE and couldn't be happier. If your on the fence about it do the trial period and give it a good test drive, you can always return it and nothing lost but the restock and at least you've given it a spin and know first hand what's new and diff(8.1 coming soon also). IMO windows phone is just going to get better and better. I'd be very surprised to ever find myself even remotely considering android again ever. Good luck with your decision.
    k0de, BobLobIaw, Guytronic and 1 others like this.
    03-11-2014 12:32 PM
    MS can not afford to fail in mobile computing, and they appear to be listening to their users and acting upon it. They also have a feature request app and website with a voting system, so if you want something, ask for it.
    As far as the app shortfall or problem, this will only improve if the user install base and market share improves. Thus 'Wait for the situation to improve...' is flawed advice as more users means that more developers will have to cater to WP as they can not afford to ignore it. Current trends suggest that WP will soon be a better seller than IOS everywhere except America. So in essence, buy into WP because doing so will help improve WP quicker.
    03-11-2014 12:35 PM
    MS can not afford to fail in mobile computing, and they appear to be listening to their users and acting upon it. They also have a feature request app and website with a voting system, so if you want something, ask for it.
    As far as the app shortfall or problem, this will only improve if the user install base and market share improves. Thus 'Wait for the situation to improve...' is flawed advice as more users means that more developers will have to cater to WP as they can not afford to ignore it. Current trends suggest that WP will soon be a better seller than IOS everywhere except America. So in essence, buy into WP because doing so will help improve WP quicker.

Idk about that, apple fans are a rare breed and apple could release the 3 call it the 7 and the sheep would flock to have it, the same with Samsung fans. The only thing MS has going for it is android development is slowing to a crawl and apples is nearly stopped but just between Samsung and apple that's a lot of people to try and turn. MS would need to pick it up and offers some nice features to try and grab some of those people away and I'm not talking apps but core software things, yes most of Samsungs are a gimmick but well to name a few, the TV remote on the HTC one is actually pretty good, the multi window on LG and Sammy, the smart screen on LG and Sammy are all very good. Use LG as an example, just 2 years ago they were at the bottom of the android food chain now they make the best android phones you can get, the G2 and the G pro.

WP is very smooth and fast, add some core os features and fix the horrible copy and paste and yes it would be a world beating phone and OS
    03-11-2014 05:04 PM
    But not once in the 6 years I've had android have I been spammed, hacked, or anything of the sort. 90% of that crap comes from the web itself, yes there are some apps that may do some stupid things that's why you look at an apps permissions. And as far as what the news says just remember the unemployment is low, the economy is better than ever, Russia isn't trying to take over Europe and oh yeah you can keep your doctor and health care plan. Point is no matter what you try to do someone will find a way to send and report data, your weather app, Bing, whoever your service provider is, your phone is always sending and reporting. And just remember 99.9% of all security updates are exploit patches. Let the end user make the decision.
    03-12-2014 10:50 AM
    Ok I've been doing the research and 8.1 seems like the OS will be pretty much on par. The icon is great for what I'm looking for, and will probably trade my nexus 7 for a venue 8 pro. There are still 3 things holding me back:

I need a hoot suite type social app to use with business twitter accounts and Facebook pages, something better than cube or improvements with cube to accept payments, and chromecast abilities.

The chromecast issue may be solved if there is a good remote app to control the windows 8 start screen on a my tv via HDMI to a PC. I have 2 older but very capable laptops I can use with windows modern apps.

Thanks for the help so far. Please keep it civil. Some of you fanboys, like all fanboys, are close to religious fundamentalists.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    03-12-2014 06:57 PM
    The chromecast issue may be solved if there is a good remote app to control the windows 8 start screen on a my tv via HDMI to a PC. I have 2 older but very capable laptops I can use with windows modern apps.Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    Have you looked at Teamviewer or Unify?
    03-13-2014 01:58 PM
    My posts no longer have posted via WPCentral for Android! I took the plunge. I still wish I had a better option than Cube to take cc payments, but I'm happy.
    04-04-2014 01:26 PM
59 123