Convince me to leave Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My reasoning for "the switch" was because after using the OG Droid, the Droid X, I spent 2 years with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (the supposedly "pure google phone") and it was the absolute worst phone ive ever used, and this goes to pre-smart phone days, even worse than the Blackberry Storm. It lagged like crazy, from the day I bought it, until the day I threw it into my drawer vowing to never turn it on again (that was 3 weeks ago when i got the Lumia Icon). I just got so tired of installing Rom after Rom, and different Kernals, and Nightlys, etc - all of which gave different features, and all ran like complete crap and forced me to backup, backup apps, restore, etc, which takes hours sometimes. It was just so damn frustrating, I decided to wipe it clean, and return to stock, and the thing still couldnt work well. Ive played with all the new Android phones over the past few months (well, the verizon ones at least) - the Note3, HTC One, LGG2, SGS4. I am just over the user experience of Android, and wanted to really try something new - not to mention that I just dont want to deal with Rooting, and Roming anymore - it seems to cause more problems than it solves. The only thing I miss is the free WIFI tethering made available with Rooting the phone.

As far as apps are concerned - I have 2 kids, and the camera is really the most important thing to me, and the Lumia Icon can only be beat by the 1020 in that regard (but for some reason, Nokia decided to only release on ATT). So far, ive found the experience to be pretty fantastic. I happen to love the live tiles, I love them on a PC, Tablet, and now a phone. Its just a great way to see updates for all of your information (i am extremely excited for notification center on WP 8.1 - this is the only negative to the WP OS - a shortcut to notifications - after that, I will have nothing to really critique). I have Windows 8 PC, and tablet at home, and they sync beautifully with my phone. I set up mail forwarding for GMAIL -> Outlook.com, I love the mail applications in W8, and WP8, the sweep of emails, and how its organized, the UI, etc - its just great. . I dont use a ton of apps, but the ones I do use (Facebook Beta, Paypal, IM+ (for gchat), Pandora, ESPN, Skype, Sky/Onedrive, Box, Teamviewer, Netflix, Onenote are all there, and function exactly how i need them. Note: I dont use Instagram, Twitter, or vine, or any of those apps - but i hear the 6tag, 6sec, etc. apps are better than native apps.

The apps that I used on Android, that are not on WP are as follows:
- Flipboard: I use Weave, and BingNews/Sports - dont miss it at all, but when it comes available, supposedly soon, ill download it and see if its better than the others - but for new reading, I find whats available to be perfectly suitable - I dont miss anything.
- Gmail: works just fine with built in mail app - but I am done with having google scan my personal emails for add placement - Ive opted to forward all gmail to my outlook.com address, and I find that it is generally a better user experience, both on the web, phone, and PC. If you dont want to forward your Gmail to outlook.com, you can use Metromail - it will keep your labels, etc, and I found it to be even better than the native Gmail app on Android, as you could customize it more.
- Hangouts: I use IM+ for chat, works totally fine with Gchat. I never use it for anything other than chat, so im not missing anything
- Google Voice - I installed Metrotalk free, it works great - Although, it seems that Google is breaking support for 3rd party apps - that being said, voice calls work fine for Gvoice, and when i get a VM, it goes to my email, and i can just hit the play icon from the email notification. Im not missing anything here really.
- Youtube: MetroTube - works great, no love lost for the Android youtube app - I can even download audio, or video from the app - Android app doesnt do that - so in my book, this is even better than android
- Google Music: I have over 20gb of music uploaded to my google account - Cloudmuzic beta - works great. That being said - I absolutely LOVE Nokia Mix Radio - its so much better than Pandora. I also have XBOX music pass, and really have no reason to ever even log into my Google Music ever again - I have access to pretty much any album, or song i can think of.
- Games: I play games on occasion - there is a slight gap in games, and if you absolutely have to have the most new mobile game at launch, then get Iphone or Android. That being said, there is only 1 game that I want to play that isnt on the mobile platform, and its Madden. Fifa is there, most of the Gameloft games, GTA, etc. I think youll be hard pressed to find it lacking.
- Google Now: I hated it - but probably cause it immediately crashed my phone when it opened, and never used it - that being said, hitting the soft search key on WP brings up Bing Search, and there is a mic button where voice search recognition is impeccable, the QR code scanner is right there (the little eye icon), the music listener that tells you the song (the little note icon), and shortcut to here maps local search. Cortana is coming, and something tells me MS will get it right, from what we hear, it takes the best of Siri, and Google Now, and combines them into a digital assistant that people will actually want to use. The jury will be out, I am excited to see it in action in another month at build.
- Google Maps - Navigation is 100xs better on Nokia Drive, Maps are great, can be downloaded for offline access, the Here Local search is better than Yelp, google now, etc on android - not missing anything really.
- Chrome vs. IE - Chrome lagged like a SOB on my old android phone. IE is fast and fluid, and the websites work. The 6 tab limit is kind of annoying, but it seems that WP8.1 will fix some things on this end. That being said, the only thing I miss about Chrome would be how open webpages are accessible from different devices, but from what we are being told, IE11 and WP8.1 will give this feature.
- Google Drive/Apps vs. Onedrive/Office - really you want to compare these - ugh, where do i begin........Office>googledocs by a million times, Onedrive>Google Drive, simply because MS supports it across platforms, i can sync photos with my wifes iphone, my work PC, etc. Google drive is a gimped experience in comparison. If you use google docs for your work, ah hahaha, have fun, thats all I can say. Office is the industry standard for a reason, its better. That being said - Pocket File Manager will cost you a buck, but it gives you access to all your cloud storage services (including Gdrive) from a single app - cant recommend it enough.

Apps I dont have on WP, that I used on my Android phone with no alternative- PBS Kids - yup, thats about it. A kids app, thats what im missing. I missed my background images, but found "Custom Tiles Maker" app that lets you customize your start screen with images that are live tiles. I have a photo of my daughter, and son that flip and changes, its pretty cool. I also use Lockmix for customized lockscreen, its great. Basically like adding widgets to your lockscreen on Android, pretty similar actually, only it doesnt make the phone lag like crazy.

Ok, end of rant - long story short, I dont miss Android, at all. People see my Lumia Icon, and they all ask about it - strangers on the bus / subway, people I work with, etc. I cannot recommend it enough, I think its really better user experience overall than both IOS, and Android. The only thing holding it back is Google's lack of support, and a completely biased media that is focused on App count, and hating anything not with an i in front of it.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, wpcentral app have more features and better than the available on WP.
I am not asking why apps are paid, I am asking why it is paid on WP only.
And what about the Moli player. It cost $3 in WP but free on Android.
About Angry Birds, you can get ad free to. Android is better because it offers you choice. If you have money to spend enjoy it and if you don't then still enjoy it.
WP doesn't offer this choice. I purchased almost all Angry Birds version but when I match the quality and features my brother Android phone( angry birds with ads ). It was lot better on Android.
Why the **** I spend my money when others get superior quality at free? Answer that.

About WP developers, I think they are the group of laziest persons.
Lets take an example . File Manger all time highly demanded feature is still unknown.
And the features you are talking about that WP provide are very obvious one. Seriously you think Auto rotate screen on/off and closing apps from multi tasking screen provided because user asked them. Answer is no, these features comes anyway whether users asked or not. WP developers might be sitting and laughing at us by reading suggestion site.
They will provide what they like what not users like.

So, I would request you to stop protecting WP. If WP is good then it users might increase upto 5% atleast. But in 4 years WP still not able to touch 4% global market share.why?
Because WP isn't providing what users want.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah, I just remembered, there is 'Magnify BETA' that was named flip- something before and it kinda looks like flipboard. I think flipboard made them change their name. It's worth checking out.
As mentioned before, Bing news and Weave, and the best RSS reader Nextgen reader, pop those feeds in (it has search and everyting) and off you go. Too bad WPcentral posts don't really look all that great via RSS.

About WP developers, I think they are the group of laziest persons.
Lets take an example . File Manger all time highly demanded feature is still unknown.

I think developers are trying quite hard, at least the indie ones. Companies of course turn 'where users are' and we're at the chicken/egg again.
About file manager, it's not that developers are lazy, it's the lack of APIs to create such an app, it's to do with the core of WP and lack of support from OS for such an app. There is pocket file manager that seems to be the best at it though. M$ is to blame for this one.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
Facebook
Twitter app with lists
Facebook pages manager
Facebook messenger
Hoot suite
Chase bank
Google hangouts
Snapchat
Instagram
Pinterest
Gmail
Outlook
Google drive
Hangouts
Mail chimp
Square
WordPress
Pulse news
Reddit
Pocket
Foursquare
YouTube
Pandora
Google music
Xbox smartglass
Media player that can use multi file types
Chromecast apps
Netflix
Craigslist
Eventbrite
A Great Podcast app
Skitch
Google voice
Workflowy
I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

I wouldn't believe the naysayers on here, the majority came from different platforms and rather than sell the device they are using and going back to Android or iOS they decided to keep their WP and just complain constantly. I've used Windows Phone since the very first release on an HTC HD7 so I've seen a lot of changes which most of those naysayers haven't e.g. I remember WP when it had no Facebook Chat integration.

To answer your question it depends when you tried WP and what your requirements are, be aware though that Google refuse to support WP. One thing I would recommend is running the Switch to Windows Phone App

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Apps are paid everywhere and on every platform. Games like Angry Birds, Cut the rope may seem free on android, but they are full of crappy and adult ads.

I have never seen an adult advertisement in an Android app (my Google account has Safe Search switched off and Google knows I am over 18). Have you seen one?

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't switch if you need to be convinced by others. Use the platform that you really like, because you'll always be more comfortable there. Perhaps when WP is more mature you won't even need convincing.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have never seen an adult advertisement in an Android app (my Google account has Safe Search switched off and Google knows I am over 18). Have you seen one?

lol, Google provides ads based on users' usage history, so perhaps our friend here have had some....adult-only history? ;)

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm a long time android user from day one, before that windows mobile. Its taken android almost 7 years to get where it is now but it has gone stagnant just like apple has, the difference between 4.1 and 4.4 isn't as big as people think, mostly bug fixes as well the same with apple. Look at the s5 vs s4 Samsung added what a blood pressure monitor wow that's a huge upgrade (not) like I said android is going stagnant and Microsoft is still coming up, and to make the point its not Google that makes those features its Samsung,HTC,LG so its not the software, well it is but it isn't. Now don't say its because of hardware that we can't have the same features on a WP, the 1520 runs the same hardware so yes its back to MS and there development team that is to lazy to introduce things like smart stay, smart pause, fingerprint scanner, there is no hardware excuse anymore.

As far as apps, there's like 100 apps that does the same thing on android and the same with apple and that's because its so much easier to cook an app on android.
Now free apps on android vs paid for the same of WP, yea Microsoft that ain't cool.

So look at it this way you can stay with android and be on the down slop as far as development or come hear and deal with the slow crawl catch up over here.

I can say I like how much faster and smoother that WP runs over android, apps I only used 3 on android titanium backup, root explore, and system monitor pro.

I guess for me its I've been there done that with android and just how slow Google is with really taking the next step in really developing the os.

deer_dodger

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've recently moved from iOS on an iPhone 5 to Windows, but my wife has Android on her HTC One.

I really like the Windows operating system, but a lot of the apps are just nowhere near as well developed as the Android or iOS versions. Most look really nice, but often lack some of their cousin's functionality.

When I'm struggling in finding a specific app, I use my wife's phone and always find something in the Play Store. Or if want to use a fully functioning app such as eBay, I again borrow her phone.

But, and this is the biggie for me, when I need to take a photo, there isn't another phone on the market I'd prefer to have in my pocket, out comes my 1020 and all is very good! The Nokia Camera app is great and provides full manual control with easily accessed functions, often far easier to access than some cheaper DSLR cameras that hide many of their functions deep within their menus.

I do still love the base operating system, it's smooth in operation and looks great.

For me, the amazing camera overrides the app situation shortfall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[warn] There will be NO further trolling in this thread. If you don't have anything that contributes to the thread don't post. Otherwise infractions will be issued and the thread will be closed [/warn]

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
WP is getting better. It is not even at Apex yet but it is attracting people I know who once scoffed at my WP. So most of those apps are there, some are not. Google as you know doesn't like WP so they offer no support. So if you are in their ecosystem, it may not be a good switch unless you are willing to change ecosystems. But right now, WP is a viable option, with Android...

013 in figures:

• Nearly 145,000 new malicious programs for mobile devices detected in 2013, more than three times the previous year?s figure of 40,059 samples. As of January 1 this year, Kaspersky Lab?s collection included almost 190,000 mobile malware samples.
  • 98.1% of all mobile malware detected in 2013 targeted Android devices.
  • Approximately 4 million malicious applications used by cybercriminals to distribute mobile malware for Android-based devices. A total of 10 million malicious Android apps detected in 2012-2013.

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
About the discrepancy in app count, I believe the answer is that Android and iOS are 'older' platforms so their is a lot of online material available to allow developers to quickly start making apps. Esp on Android, since you don't even have too go through a review process. The problem with WP8 is that, the material available is scattered and if you don't know where too look, its an exercise in futility.

Take SMB share apps for example. On Android their is an open source JCIFS library which any one can use and quickly create a file explorer. A similar library is available on iOS too. This means that developers, indie or otherwise, can quickly come up with an app that is commercially viable for them. Now doing the same thing on WP8 is also possible, but it takes more time and effort and a free version with adds may not be commercially viable. This is why some of the apps that are free on Android and even iOS will be charged on WP8.

Having said that; I switched to a Windows Phone 8 device around 13 months back, and I can safely say that now the app situation is much much better than what it was back then. I am sure as time goes on, it will be even better than it is now.

Why not give it a try and if you don't like it switch back? Get a used lumia, try it out, and if you don't like it stay with Android.

Last edited:

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Check my posts, I have been experiencing growing pangs, as it were. Bottom line is you need to convince yourself to switch...no one can convince you. I am eagerly awaiting 8.1, but I switched (back and forth) from my S4. There are app shortcomings, for sure. You have to pay for far more than you ever did on Android. And some of the "base" features aren't here yet. But if you want out of the Google ecosystem, and don't care for Apple (like me), you won't be too sorely disappointed.

Sounds like maybe you should wait for 8.1, then give this another look...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
Facebook
Twitter app with lists
Facebook pages manager
Facebook messenger
Hoot suite
Chase bank
Google hangouts
Snapchat
Instagram
Pinterest
Gmail
Outlook
Google drive
Hangouts
Mail chimp
Square
WordPress
Pulse news
Reddit
Pocket
Foursquare
YouTube
Pandora
Google music
Xbox smartglass
Media player that can use multi file types
Chromecast apps
Netflix
Craigslist
Eventbrite
A Great Podcast app
Skitch
Google voice
Workflowy
I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

You might as well pack a bag son. You don't need android as we have 95 percent of that list and then some.

xumit

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Stick with android. I once switched to wp, and it was worst mobile experience I ever had. if you are coming from android, try on your own risk.

- Rocking on my LG G2.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Stick with android. I once switched to wp, and it was worst mobile experience I ever had. if you are coming from android, try on your own risk.

- Rocking on my LG G2.

I have a Lumia 810 and an N4 and from a OS point, I prefer WP in spades over Android KitKat 4.4.2. I'd use my phone as a hotspot and use a tablet over using my N4, the apps on Android have more functionality but they are not as fluid to use. This is my opinion only, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12