Convince me to leave Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
Facebook
Twitter app with lists
Facebook pages manager
Facebook messenger
Hoot suite
Chase bank
Google hangouts
Snapchat
Instagram
Pinterest
Gmail
Outlook
Google drive
Hangouts
Mail chimp
Square
WordPress
Pulse news
Reddit
Pocket
Foursquare
YouTube
Pandora
Google music
Xbox smartglass
Media player that can use multi file types
Chromecast apps
Netflix
Craigslist
Eventbrite
A Great Podcast app
Skitch
Google voice
Workflowy
I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

There's really no need to convince you. I came from ios and nobody convinced me. To me there's no bad OS which is why I never understood the bickering back and forth from different OS users like it's turf warfare. To each their own. I've been with Android, iOS and now am with WP and I love it, but that's because I don't care that it doesn't have every single app out there.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
There's really no need to convince you. I came from ios and nobody convinced me. To me there's no bad OS which is why I never understood the bickering back and forth from different OS users like it's turf warfare. To each their own. I've been with Android, iOS and now am with WP and I love it, but that's because I don't care that it doesn't have every single app out there.
10 thumbs up from me to Mr. AngrySprintUser (one of me favorite user names)
All I can type is:
Yoop

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
there is this problem solving technique used by a lot of people which is the 20%-80% chart (Pareto chart) which prioritizes issues by importance or impact and so on, I guess Microsoft is using this from day one.

20% of the apps in the google and apple stores serve 80% of the users, that's a broad statement please take it in its simple form, Microsoft are working very hard on getting those 20% apps for now. Microsoft is soo close in achieving its goal covering the 20% apps and you can feel it in the store and in the good people in this forum, with new avatars every day :).

What does this 20% thing mean?
It means that if you are a normal (average) user with no special app need (like an app made for astronauts or south pole invaders) , you are more likely to be one of the 80% user base, which means switching to WP will satisfy more than 95% of your app and functionalities needs, and if you get a Lumia you will get more services that are not available on other platforms, which will make you happy.

In addition, the OS is fluid, with a clear design language, and im pretty sure you will like WP8.1

Oh there is one draw back, you will love the OS to the level you will start buying all set of devices, I know I did, a laptop with W8.1, a surface2 with W8.1RT, and a Lumia with WP8 (soon WP8.1 cant wait).

Last edited:

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, wpcentral app have more features and better than the available on WP.
I am not asking why apps are paid, I am asking why it is paid on WP only.
And what about the Moli player. It cost $3 in WP but free on Android.
About Angry Birds, you can get ad free to. Android is better because it offers you choice. If you have money to spend enjoy it and if you don't then still enjoy it.
WP doesn't offer this choice. I purchased almost all Angry Birds version but when I match the quality and features my brother Android phone( angry birds with ads ). It was lot better on Android.
Why the **** I spend my money when others get superior quality at free? Answer that.

About WP developers, I think they are the group of laziest persons.
Lets take an example . File Manger all time highly demanded feature is still unknown.
And the features you are talking about that WP provide are very obvious one. Seriously you think Auto rotate screen on/off and closing apps from multi tasking screen provided because user asked them. Answer is no, these features comes anyway whether users asked or not. WP developers might be sitting and laughing at us by reading suggestion site.
They will provide what they like what not users like.

So, I would request you to stop protecting WP. If WP is good then it users might increase upto 5% atleast. But in 4 years WP still not able to touch 4% global market share.why?
Because WP isn't providing what users want.

Okay, dude looks like you're clearly angry at WP for some reason, i don't know what. But think about it like this.
Developers create paid apps for 'only' WP beacause, it has a low marketshare, and they think that developing apps on it won't give them much profit, as compared to other platforms. The only way, WE as users can stop it from happening is increasing the marketshare, that means in short, promoting windows phone. Yes, buying it Will help. Thats the whole logic. Get it?

And also, regarding the file manager thing, its a limitation of the OS, there is noone who can do a thing about it in the world, unless microsoft grants them the API.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
there is this problem solving technique used by a lot of people which is the 20%-80% chart (Pareto chart) which prioritizes issues by importance or impact and so on, I guess Microsoft is using this from day one.

20% of the apps in the google and apple stores serve 80% of the users, that's a broad statement please take it in its simple form, Microsoft are working very hard on getting those 20% apps for now. Microsoft is soo close in achieving its goal covering the 20% apps and you can feel it in the store and in the good people in this forum, with new avatars every day :).

What does this 20% thing mean?
It means that if you are a normal (average) user with no special app need (like an app made for astronauts or a south pole invaders) , you are more likely to be one of the 80% user base, which means switching to WP will satisfy more than 95% of your app and functionalities needs, and if you get a Lumia you will get more services that are not available on other platforms, which will make you happy.

In addition, the OS is fluid, with a clear design language, and im pretty sure you will like WP8.1

Oh there is one draw back, you will love the OS to the level you will start buying all set of devices, I know I did, a laptop with W8.1, a surface2 with W8.1RT, and a Lumia with WP8 (soon WP8.1 cant wait).

Very interesting ... and kind of what I was thinking.
There are app junkies and there are users.
Apps generally mean little to someone like myself.
I think I'm a 20% type so even as a former Androidian I seldom haunted Google Play.

Good point there Mr. taymur!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Check my posts, I have been experiencing growing pangs, as it were. Bottom line is you need to convince yourself to switch...no one can convince you. I am eagerly awaiting 8.1, but I switched (back and forth) from my S4. There are app shortcomings, for sure. You have to pay for far more than you ever did on Android. And some of the "base" features aren't here yet. But if you want out of the Google ecosystem, and don't care for Apple (like me), you won't be too sorely disappointed.

Sounds like maybe you should wait for 8.1, then give this another look...

I've always wondered what "base" features of a smartphone are missing. Can WP make and receive calls, yes. Can WP send and receive text and MMS messages, yes. Can WP send and receive email, yes and can WP show your calendar, yes.

Therefore all the "base" features of a smartphone are available, if you don't use those features then that doesn't mean those features are missing does it. If you're going to mention a File Manager then remember, AOSP Android and many of the forks which includes the one by Google don't have one by default and neither does iOS.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I quit Android right a few weeks after the release of Jelly Bean. Not official release but XDA custom rom released so I do not know how far Android has gotten.

I now have an Icon and I must say its all I ever need because the apps are their and phone functions. Also, 8.1 is around the corner.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I came from android three weeks ago and where I was happy for the past few years. After using my icon I doubt I'll ever go back. The OS is so smooth. I thought my HTC ONE was smooth. Nokia and the icon using wp8 rewrote the book on the definition of smooth IMHO.
This said, I thought there would be some app adjustments I would need to make and I was right. Making the various adjustments has been fun and educational. I missed Google maps and the Google map knockoff in the store isn't as good at all, but guess what Nokia drive does what I need for navigation and Google maps(the 3rd party knockoff) gives me great overviews so its good also. I've made numerous other adjustments to be able to do what I need.
Going into the WP system with the icon I was never sure if it would work or if I'd miss android and my ONE, so I was fully prepared to go back and return the icon. They'd have to pry it out of my hands forcefully after just less than a week with it. I sold the ONE and couldn't be happier. If your on the fence about it do the trial period and give it a good test drive, you can always return it and nothing lost but the restock and at least you've given it a spin and know first hand what's new and diff(8.1 coming soon also). IMO windows phone is just going to get better and better. I'd be very surprised to ever find myself even remotely considering android again ever. Good luck with your decision.

bbobeckyj

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
MS can not afford to fail in mobile computing, and they appear to be listening to their users and acting upon it. They also have a feature request app and website with a voting system, so if you want something, ask for it.
As far as the app shortfall or problem, this will only improve if the user install base and market share improves. Thus 'Wait for the situation to improve...' is flawed advice as more users means that more developers will have to cater to WP as they can not afford to ignore it. Current trends suggest that WP will soon be a better seller than IOS everywhere except America. So in essence, buy into WP because doing so will help improve WP quicker.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
MS can not afford to fail in mobile computing, and they appear to be listening to their users and acting upon it. They also have a feature request app and website with a voting system, so if you want something, ask for it.
As far as the app shortfall or problem, this will only improve if the user install base and market share improves. Thus 'Wait for the situation to improve...' is flawed advice as more users means that more developers will have to cater to WP as they can not afford to ignore it. Current trends suggest that WP will soon be a better seller than IOS everywhere except America. So in essence, buy into WP because doing so will help improve WP quicker.

Idk about that, apple fans are a rare breed and apple could release the 3 call it the 7 and the sheep would flock to have it, the same with Samsung fans. The only thing MS has going for it is android development is slowing to a crawl and apples is nearly stopped but just between Samsung and apple that's a lot of people to try and turn. MS would need to pick it up and offers some nice features to try and grab some of those people away and I'm not talking apps but core software things, yes most of Samsungs are a gimmick but well to name a few, the TV remote on the HTC one is actually pretty good, the multi window on LG and Sammy, the smart screen on LG and Sammy are all very good. Use LG as an example, just 2 years ago they were at the bottom of the android food chain now they make the best android phones you can get, the G2 and the G pro.

WP is very smooth and fast, add some core os features and fix the horrible copy and paste and yes it would be a world beating phone and OS

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
But not once in the 6 years I've had android have I been spammed, hacked, or anything of the sort. 90% of that crap comes from the web itself, yes there are some apps that may do some stupid things that's why you look at an apps permissions. And as far as what the news says just remember the unemployment is low, the economy is better than ever, Russia isn't trying to take over Europe and oh yeah you can keep your doctor and health care plan. Point is no matter what you try to do someone will find a way to send and report data, your weather app, Bing, whoever your service provider is, your phone is always sending and reporting. And just remember 99.9% of all security updates are exploit patches. Let the end user make the decision.

theetommyt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've been doing the research and 8.1 seems like the OS will be pretty much on par. The icon is great for what I'm looking for, and will probably trade my nexus 7 for a venue 8 pro. There are still 3 things holding me back:

I need a hoot suite type social app to use with business twitter accounts and Facebook pages, something better than cube or improvements with cube to accept payments, and chromecast abilities.

The chromecast issue may be solved if there is a good remote app to control the windows 8 start screen on a my tv via HDMI to a PC. I have 2 older but very capable laptops I can use with windows modern apps.

Thanks for the help so far. Please keep it civil. Some of you fanboys, like all fanboys, are close to religious fundamentalists.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The chromecast issue may be solved if there is a good remote app to control the windows 8 start screen on a my tv via HDMI to a PC. I have 2 older but very capable laptops I can use with windows modern apps.Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Have you looked at Teamviewer or Unify?

theetommyt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My posts no longer have posted via WPCentral for Android! I took the plunge. I still wish I had a better option than Cube to take cc payments, but I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo