04-04-2014 01:26 PM
59 123
tools
    I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
    Facebook
    Twitter app with lists
    Facebook pages manager
    Facebook messenger
    Hoot suite
    Chase bank
    Google hangouts
    Snapchat
    Instagram
    Pinterest
    Gmail
    Outlook
    Google drive
    Hangouts
    Mail chimp
    Square
    WordPress
    Pulse news
    Reddit
    Pocket
    Foursquare
    YouTube
    Pandora
    Google music
    Xbox smartglass
    Media player that can use multi file types
    Chromecast apps
    Netflix
    Craigslist
    Eventbrite
    A Great Podcast app
    Skitch
    Google voice
    Workflowy
    I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    rdubmu likes this.
    03-09-2014 01:41 PM
    You can check for all your apps here: http://www.windowsphone.com/nl-nl/store
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-09-2014 01:45 PM
    It's close, but still not 100%. Even if the app is there, chances are likely, it doesn't have 100% the same functionality.
    03-09-2014 01:45 PM
    It's close, but still not 100%. Even if the app is there, chances are likely, it doesn't have 100% the same functionality.
    Agreed but the fluidity of the OS is so much better than Android.
    MERCDROID and Sajal Garg like this.
    03-09-2014 01:49 PM
    I might chime in later with more, but im going to go ahead and clue you in that there is little to no Google here.

Google has refused to put its services on Windows Phone, perhaps best illustrated by the YouTube fiasco.
    Ironically the 3rd-party Youtube options are top notch. The two major players are MetroTube and myTube. both of which are very respectable.

Google has killed all Google Voice clients, Windows Phone ones included a while back, citing "security" reasons.

Hangouts is proprietary (so much for supporting open standards) and the best you can hope for is an app that supports Google Talk, like IM+.
    Gmail will work fine though in the stock email app.

There is no Google Drive app I really would use in any situation other than a last resort and we're booted to a dumb phone website.
    There are options, but nothing I consider great.

Facebook and Twitter are there (what are lists?)
    3rd party page manager available, dont know how great or how bad it is. Seems OK.
    6Snap is an excellent snapchat client, it has served me very well.

You have a multitude of Instagram options now, some are arguably better than the official app. (like 6Tag)

Never touched pinterest, so I wouldn't know about that.

No feature overload here, but the built in suite of calendar, contacts, is outlook, just not in one app.

Skype is here. Won't blow the others out of the water, but it works.

I think I saw Evernote in the store, I use Onenote though.

You have the options of two Reddit clients, Baconit and readit, both are great.

actually, go check out the store yourself, its been linked earlier.
    03-09-2014 02:03 PM
    Thanks for the responses so far. I've seen the app store, but really want to know about features. I don't need the exact same apps, I need similar functionality.

03-09-2014 02:13 PM
    It sounds like it is closer, but still not there yet.

03-09-2014 02:13 PM
    I also was an Andriod user for years... And in all honesty I do not understand how people complain about the lack of apps on Windows Phone. I have found all my apps, be it official or 3rd party, and I couldnt be happier with their performance.... The 2 exceptions would be Facebook , it lacks some features and lags some, but otherwise very functional....and with My 1020 , I rarely use the app because it is integrated so well int the phone through the me tile and contacts tile... 2nd my bank... in which case I have found Mint which i just as good. Like stated above about apps like Youtube, there are great 3rd party apps available...I guess there are some games that are not available, but I dont really use my phone for games, never really have other than a couple to kill time here and there.... The complaint of lack of apps to me is completely absurd claims made by other os fanboys.... The Wp os is so much smoother and never lags or at risk for virus or attack from hackers...True it is not as customizable as Android, but I prefer functionality and reliability.. Just my opinion
    Muessig and MERCDROID like this.
    03-09-2014 04:40 PM
    It sounds like it is closer, but still not there yet.

You should stay with Android.
    Let WP catch up then perhaps you won't need convincing.
    a5cent, broar94, MERCDROID and 4 others like this.
    03-09-2014 04:46 PM
    You should stay with Android.
    Let WP catch up then perhaps you won't need convincing.
    Best advice so far!
    If you haven't fed up with issues on Android, why leave? I use both and swap SIM cards all the time.
    03-09-2014 05:35 PM
    I am coming over from iOS I don't know anything about android. But I can say this. Things here won't be the same like Android. They are very different and you will have to learn how to adapt. The more you use WP the better you will find yourself getting around. It takes practice but the learning curve is not so steep. So my best advice for you is "Just do it" and see if WP is for you. I did and to my findings I will never return back to iOS. Good Luck.
    03-09-2014 08:58 PM
    I came from Android about two years ago and I haven't looked back twice... But Android back then was an immature piece of steaming poo... Today it's only half the mess it used to be.
    03-10-2014 03:43 AM
    Dont go for windows right now. Notifications center is only available with windows phone 8.1 which is coming out in april. Id recommend you to stick with android unless you want to try something new. and you don't have all the apps on windows phone.
    Guytronic and tejas_nayak like this.
    03-10-2014 03:53 AM
    Agreed but the fluidity of the OS is so much better than Android.
    In the past, I would have agreed with you (although I always found Android rather *faster* than WP, even if sometimes not as fluid). However, I bought a Moto G recently and it is absolutely smooth at all times. I'm very impressed.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 03-10-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: style
    etad putta and MERCDROID like this.
    03-10-2014 06:46 AM
    Lemme get my Shotgun real quick. I can convince you pretty fast then Lolol.

Naah, seriously, I just love the way Wp8 integrates W8. Thats it. I don't game much and I wanted something to help me bolster my attention to study and hence it was a no brainer.

Dude, but noone can convince anyone over gadgets interacting at a personal level. Go get a 520/525 and check out how that works out for you.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-10-2014 09:29 AM
    But do remember, dont say "520 doesn't even have that game ?" because wp has all nice games, but many aren't available for 512 mb ram phones.
    But overall, you'd love the support, the fluidity, the smoothness, the great animations, the professional feel of the os, the epic camera (even in the 520), the epic nokia apps (nokia storyteller, nokia camera, nokia beamer etc), the fact that you wont have to reset your phone every 3 months, great cloud services, and yeah, the feel of using something different from every *****'s phones, very different... You'll love it ! and wait for windows phone 8.1 in April, it's gonna be a game changer ! It is going to have every single thing wanted in an os, and much much more !
    I suggest you wait for Lumia 630, it'll come with windows phone 8.1, though it isn't a very high end phone, and lacks a camera button (sigh)... It's coming in mid April.
    03-10-2014 09:36 AM
    Anyways, I say wait for 8.1 before you decide if the features are enough for you. There's a whole laundry list of them and it should make almost everyone satisfied unless you're a heavy Google user.
    ^This^. Wait for WP8.1 to decide. This update is supposed to bring functionality closer to Android or iOS.

But like someone said earlier, if you need convinced to switch WP, you should probably stick with Android. If you have a good Android phone, WP doesn't offer compelling reasons to switch unless you're trying to get away from Google, or if you want to try something different.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-10-2014 11:26 AM
    But like someone said earlier, if you need convinced to switch WP, you should probably stick with Android. If you have a good Android phone, WP doesn't offer compelling reasons to switch unless you're trying to get away from Google, or if you want to try something different.
    I disagree. I believe his interest alone is enough reason to give Windows Phone a shot. I mean, if you have enough interest to join a forum site about it, definitely run with it a while! Who knows, you may end up staying with Windows Phone for reasons you don't even know exists!
    03-10-2014 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the responses so far. I've seen the app store, but really want to know about features. I don't need the exact same apps, I need similar functionality.

Similar functionality is a ways away and hence I decided to get a Nexus 4 as a backup device for travel. When I am in town WP meets most of my needs. But over the last weekend, I was playing with both of them side by side and I noticed that even though the Android apps have more functionality I liked the feel of the WP OS much better and so I would rather just fire up my tablet/PC and use the web than depend on the Android app that might do the work but the feel of it was pretty drab. So I am thinking of just having a tablet around as well and using my phone as a hotspot:-)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-2014 11:44 AM
    There are cloud6 apps incoming, it's already out for dropbox (and it's awesome, as you can tell from the 6, it's from Rudy Huyn), and there is one coming for google drive as well.

I never liked google drive, the web interface is bad, there is no camera upload (it uploads to google+ - useless, and doesn't sync with each other), google just confuses me. They are releasing services like crazy, and very little actually stick aroung. Buzz, wave, google+... all graveyards. I don't like hangouts, mostly because my previous phone got all slow with hangouts, but it works just fine on my tablet. However, I just want normal chat, and on the phone with very limited memory (all android phones before 2013) keeping a 20MB app (that was previously 600kB) is just stupid.
    I like gmail though, it's web interface is better then outlook.com, although outlook also has some great features and design.

Yes, so what I was trying to say: onedrive is better then google drive (for me). I've used dropbox before, and I really liked it for it's camera upload. When I got WP, there was no good client for it while support for sky/onedrive was awesome. Since they've increased space and made camera upload on android, it's going to be hard to convince me to go back to (only) dropbox, but you'll never get me on drive.

Next point: chromecast... HAHAHA :D yeah, not going to happen probably :)
    I don't know most of the apps that you've written, how about you try borrowing a windows phone, go trough the list yourself and just write 5/10 apps you're still looking for here? Most of the apps are there, and there's more added every day.

The more deep you are in google ecosystem, the harder it is to switch, because you are going to have to switch services you use too. But it's your choice in the end. I mainly chose WP for the brand (Nokia), its fantastic camera and smoothness of the OS, I've had 2 android phones before and both would lag like crazy (to the point where I wouldn't be able to answer the call because the screen froze and so on), I haven't had any such problems on WP (except an occasional self-restart, but android did that too, probably even more). I wasn't using many google services before (gmail only really) so the switch was easy.

There is a great app for gmail: metromail, it's still fresh, so there is a bug here and there, but it's packed with features.

Windows phone is also still quite fresh, but it hasn't reached platau yet, while I think Android has (I haven't noticed much difference since 4.0 onwards, except for some minor design modifications).
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-10-2014 12:11 PM
    My reasoning for "the switch" was because after using the OG Droid, the Droid X, I spent 2 years with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (the supposedly "pure google phone") and it was the absolute worst phone ive ever used, and this goes to pre-smart phone days, even worse than the Blackberry Storm. It lagged like crazy, from the day I bought it, until the day I threw it into my drawer vowing to never turn it on again (that was 3 weeks ago when i got the Lumia Icon). I just got so tired of installing Rom after Rom, and different Kernals, and Nightlys, etc - all of which gave different features, and all ran like complete crap and forced me to backup, backup apps, restore, etc, which takes hours sometimes. It was just so damn frustrating, I decided to wipe it clean, and return to stock, and the thing still couldnt work well. Ive played with all the new Android phones over the past few months (well, the verizon ones at least) - the Note3, HTC One, LGG2, SGS4. I am just over the user experience of Android, and wanted to really try something new - not to mention that I just dont want to deal with Rooting, and Roming anymore - it seems to cause more problems than it solves. The only thing I miss is the free WIFI tethering made available with Rooting the phone.

As far as apps are concerned - I have 2 kids, and the camera is really the most important thing to me, and the Lumia Icon can only be beat by the 1020 in that regard (but for some reason, Nokia decided to only release on ATT). So far, ive found the experience to be pretty fantastic. I happen to love the live tiles, I love them on a PC, Tablet, and now a phone. Its just a great way to see updates for all of your information (i am extremely excited for notification center on WP 8.1 - this is the only negative to the WP OS - a shortcut to notifications - after that, I will have nothing to really critique). I have Windows 8 PC, and tablet at home, and they sync beautifully with my phone. I set up mail forwarding for GMAIL -> Outlook.com, I love the mail applications in W8, and WP8, the sweep of emails, and how its organized, the UI, etc - its just great. . I dont use a ton of apps, but the ones I do use (Facebook Beta, Paypal, IM+ (for gchat), Pandora, ESPN, Skype, Sky/Onedrive, Box, Teamviewer, Netflix, Onenote are all there, and function exactly how i need them. Note: I dont use Instagram, Twitter, or vine, or any of those apps - but i hear the 6tag, 6sec, etc. apps are better than native apps.

The apps that I used on Android, that are not on WP are as follows:
    - Flipboard: I use Weave, and BingNews/Sports - dont miss it at all, but when it comes available, supposedly soon, ill download it and see if its better than the others - but for new reading, I find whats available to be perfectly suitable - I dont miss anything.
    - Gmail: works just fine with built in mail app - but I am done with having google scan my personal emails for add placement - Ive opted to forward all gmail to my outlook.com address, and I find that it is generally a better user experience, both on the web, phone, and PC. If you dont want to forward your Gmail to outlook.com, you can use Metromail - it will keep your labels, etc, and I found it to be even better than the native Gmail app on Android, as you could customize it more.
    - Hangouts: I use IM+ for chat, works totally fine with Gchat. I never use it for anything other than chat, so im not missing anything
    - Google Voice - I installed Metrotalk free, it works great - Although, it seems that Google is breaking support for 3rd party apps - that being said, voice calls work fine for Gvoice, and when i get a VM, it goes to my email, and i can just hit the play icon from the email notification. Im not missing anything here really.
    - Youtube: MetroTube - works great, no love lost for the Android youtube app - I can even download audio, or video from the app - Android app doesnt do that - so in my book, this is even better than android
    - Google Music: I have over 20gb of music uploaded to my google account - Cloudmuzic beta - works great. That being said - I absolutely LOVE Nokia Mix Radio - its so much better than Pandora. I also have XBOX music pass, and really have no reason to ever even log into my Google Music ever again - I have access to pretty much any album, or song i can think of.
    - Games: I play games on occasion - there is a slight gap in games, and if you absolutely have to have the most new mobile game at launch, then get Iphone or Android. That being said, there is only 1 game that I want to play that isnt on the mobile platform, and its Madden. Fifa is there, most of the Gameloft games, GTA, etc. I think youll be hard pressed to find it lacking.
    - Google Now: I hated it - but probably cause it immediately crashed my phone when it opened, and never used it - that being said, hitting the soft search key on WP brings up Bing Search, and there is a mic button where voice search recognition is impeccable, the QR code scanner is right there (the little eye icon), the music listener that tells you the song (the little note icon), and shortcut to here maps local search. Cortana is coming, and something tells me MS will get it right, from what we hear, it takes the best of Siri, and Google Now, and combines them into a digital assistant that people will actually want to use. The jury will be out, I am excited to see it in action in another month at build.
    - Google Maps - Navigation is 100xs better on Nokia Drive, Maps are great, can be downloaded for offline access, the Here Local search is better than Yelp, google now, etc on android - not missing anything really.
    - Chrome vs. IE - Chrome lagged like a SOB on my old android phone. IE is fast and fluid, and the websites work. The 6 tab limit is kind of annoying, but it seems that WP8.1 will fix some things on this end. That being said, the only thing I miss about Chrome would be how open webpages are accessible from different devices, but from what we are being told, IE11 and WP8.1 will give this feature.
    - Google Drive/Apps vs. Onedrive/Office - really you want to compare these - ugh, where do i begin........Office>googledocs by a million times, Onedrive>Google Drive, simply because MS supports it across platforms, i can sync photos with my wifes iphone, my work PC, etc. Google drive is a gimped experience in comparison. If you use google docs for your work, ah hahaha, have fun, thats all I can say. Office is the industry standard for a reason, its better. That being said - Pocket File Manager will cost you a buck, but it gives you access to all your cloud storage services (including Gdrive) from a single app - cant recommend it enough.

Apps I dont have on WP, that I used on my Android phone with no alternative- PBS Kids - yup, thats about it. A kids app, thats what im missing. I missed my background images, but found "Custom Tiles Maker" app that lets you customize your start screen with images that are live tiles. I have a photo of my daughter, and son that flip and changes, its pretty cool. I also use Lockmix for customized lockscreen, its great. Basically like adding widgets to your lockscreen on Android, pretty similar actually, only it doesnt make the phone lag like crazy.

Ok, end of rant - long story short, I dont miss Android, at all. People see my Lumia Icon, and they all ask about it - strangers on the bus / subway, people I work with, etc. I cannot recommend it enough, I think its really better user experience overall than both IOS, and Android. The only thing holding it back is Google's lack of support, and a completely biased media that is focused on App count, and hating anything not with an i in front of it.
    03-10-2014 12:31 PM
    I made the switch to wp once but out did not offer everything I needed. Is it ready now?
    In short, no.
    03-10-2014 01:00 PM
    Well, wpcentral app have more features and better than the available on WP.
    I am not asking why apps are paid, I am asking why it is paid on WP only.
    And what about the Moli player. It cost $3 in WP but free on Android.
    About Angry Birds, you can get ad free to. Android is better because it offers you choice. If you have money to spend enjoy it and if you don't then still enjoy it.
    WP doesn't offer this choice. I purchased almost all Angry Birds version but when I match the quality and features my brother Android phone( angry birds with ads ). It was lot better on Android.
    Why the **** I spend my money when others get superior quality at free? Answer that.

About WP developers, I think they are the group of laziest persons.
    Lets take an example . File Manger all time highly demanded feature is still unknown.
    And the features you are talking about that WP provide are very obvious one. Seriously you think Auto rotate screen on/off and closing apps from multi tasking screen provided because user asked them. Answer is no, these features comes anyway whether users asked or not. WP developers might be sitting and laughing at us by reading suggestion site.
    They will provide what they like what not users like.

So, I would request you to stop protecting WP. If WP is good then it users might increase upto 5% atleast. But in 4 years WP still not able to touch 4% global market share.why?
    Because WP isn't providing what users want.
    03-10-2014 01:43 PM
    Oh yeah, I just remembered, there is 'Magnify BETA' that was named flip- something before and it kinda looks like flipboard. I think flipboard made them change their name. It's worth checking out.
    As mentioned before, Bing news and Weave, and the best RSS reader Nextgen reader, pop those feeds in (it has search and everyting) and off you go. Too bad WPcentral posts don't really look all that great via RSS.

About WP developers, I think they are the group of laziest persons.
    Lets take an example . File Manger all time highly demanded feature is still unknown.
    I think developers are trying quite hard, at least the indie ones. Companies of course turn 'where users are' and we're at the chicken/egg again.
    About file manager, it's not that developers are lazy, it's the lack of APIs to create such an app, it's to do with the core of WP and lack of support from OS for such an app. There is pocket file manager that seems to be the best at it though. M$ is to blame for this one.
    Dantekai14 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-10-2014 04:00 PM
    I've been an Android user since 2009. I had an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for about 10 months total, and had an HTC 8X for about 3 months when it first was released.

What I love about android: my most important information and apps are always easily accessible. I can put my calendar agenda in a scrolling widget on my home screen. Notifications are amazing. Slide down, check, respond. I'm a Google apps user for 2 different businesses. I did a one month trial with office365 but found it to be TOO robust. I wanted basically what their consumer outlook and one drive apps offered, but got more. Basically too much for me. The play store has a great selection of apps. Rarely is it missing anything. I have with many form factor options.

What I like about iOS: app selection is the best. Rarely is it missing anything or any app features. It's smooth. Little lag, and it mostly just works.

What I like about windows phone: a lot of info can be displayed on my home screen. Integration with windows 8.1 is very good. Mostly on par or better with apple osx to iOS integration. Different form factors to choose from. Smooth OS. Fairly customizable.

Apps I must have at least equivalent to in no particular order:
    Facebook
    Twitter app with lists
    Facebook pages manager
    Facebook messenger
    Hoot suite
    Chase bank
    Google hangouts
    Snapchat
    Instagram
    Pinterest
    Gmail
    Outlook
    Google drive
    Hangouts
    Mail chimp
    Square
    WordPress
    Pulse news
    Reddit
    Pocket
    Foursquare
    YouTube
    Pandora
    Google music
    Xbox smartglass
    Media player that can use multi file types
    Chromecast apps
    Netflix
    Craigslist
    Eventbrite
    A Great Podcast app
    Skitch
    Google voice
    Workflowy

I wouldn't believe the naysayers on here, the majority came from different platforms and rather than sell the device they are using and going back to Android or iOS they decided to keep their WP and just complain constantly. I've used Windows Phone since the very first release on an HTC HD7 so I've seen a lot of changes which most of those naysayers haven't e.g. I remember WP when it had no Facebook Chat integration.

To answer your question it depends when you tried WP and what your requirements are, be aware though that Google refuse to support WP. One thing I would recommend is running the Switch to Windows Phone App
    Last edited by neo158; 03-11-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    03-10-2014 04:26 PM
59 123