FYI: July 2014 Windows 7/7.8 devices will no longer be supported

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 900 over 2 years ago, had it one week and found out it would not be upgraded to WP8, and I promptly took it back and waited for the 920. Best move I've made.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it should go by without much fanfare

I still have a perfectly functional Palm Treo 650 which was from an era when involvement was largely done once shipped. (not too much in the way of updates)

Last edited:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft officially extended "official mainstream support" for the platform to September 2014. For security updates it still has support to 2016 if I remember correctly.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Also, I don't think some of my friends with L800, L610 and my dad with L900 care, so oh well. (I certainly feel pain for others who care though).

Wasn't there a leaked panel from Nokia pointing to some 7.x refresh sometime after 7.8 was supposed to be released?

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Have not touched my Samsung Focus since I got my Lumia 900 when it came out. Probably will do the same when I get a WP 8.1 device. I hope the rumored specs of the 1820 are true because that would be my next.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Also, I don't think some of my friends with L800, L610 and my dad with L900 care, so oh well. (I certainly feel pain for others who care though).

Wasn't there a leaked panel from Nokia pointing to some 7.x refresh sometime after 7.8 was supposed to be released?

Yes, it says there will be a 7.9 update. I doubt it will happen.

anon5644628

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What exactly will this look like when it does happen? Continuing on as normal? Will developers no longer be able to update their apps (the tiny number of devs that do, that is)? Will servers be shut down and our phones lose all functionality beyond calling and SMS? Will the app store be inaccessible?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What exactly will this look like when it does happen? Continuing on as normal? Will developers no longer be able to update their apps (the tiny number of devs that do, that is)? Will servers be shut down and our phones lose all functionality beyond calling and SMS? Will the app store be inaccessible?

It will pass by without anything catastrophic happening. Most people probably don't know nor will they notice.

It means Microsoft will no longer issue patches for security things and/or supporting them. It doesn't mean they will instantly brick, it means MS is taking their hands off and moving on. It won't be bad or anything, nothing like the impending XP cutoff.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the main concern is about the marketplace and how much time will be maintain, since there is no other way to install apps on WP7/7x... Windows Mobile marketplace was shutdown in 2012, but you can install any apps in WM by .exe or .cab type files. So if MS decides to shutdown soon the marketplace, that will render any WP7/7x phone into a useless device.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I use my (third) Samsung Focus every day and didn't know it still was supported. I don't need support and will keep using it until I can get my hands on a 64GB Lumia 1020.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarianKlux