Background agent limit in WP 8.1

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We've already heard that apps will be able to have live tiles updated in 1 minute intervals rather than the 30 minutes Windows Phone is currently using. What I'm interested in though is if Microsoft will increase the limit for actively running background agents in Windows Phone 8.1. I haven't found any valuable information about this so far. Neither negative nor positive. I'm sure many of you have come across a notification that too many background agents are actively running and you need to disable one. I find this highly annoying, even though I understand the reason behind this limitation. With devices such as the Icon and the 1520 and more high specced devices coming soon, I feel MS could very well increase the number of agents allowed to run in the background.
What do you guys think? Have you heard anything about possible changes?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Having it device configurable would be nice. If the hardware is capable there should be no reason. The 1520 is so fast and battery efficient it should be able to handle more.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Tbh, I don't even see any issues running more agents on the 1020. With its 2GB RAM it should be able to handle it without the slightest hiccups. I'm not so concerned about battery life, since I have chargers pretty much everywhere. ;)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk for Windows Phone

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Tbh, I don't even see any issues running more agents on the 1020. With its 2GB RAM it should be able to handle it without the slightest hiccups.

As far as the OS is concerned, the L1020 has 1GB of RAM. The other GB is reserved for processing the 41MP images, so the L1020 is no different from a L920 in terms of memory related behaviour.

The 1 min interval is likely to be limited to very specific types of background tasks. Apps that must go over the network, like most that do tile updates, are very unlikely to be granted such privileges (think clock like behaviour only). Furthermore, a lot of things that currently do require background tasks may no longer necessarily require them under WP8.1.

In short, the limitations won't go away, but their nature will be very different after apps are updated to use everything WP8.1 has to offer. Unfortunately, we will have to wait for build to get a good understanding of what all the changes to multitasking and background tasks imply (there are many).

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This issue is a terrible time waster on my 1520. I have to pick and choose which app to kick off of the island.

You'll be very pleased with how WP 8.1 will handle it then. :) No more issues over here.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk for Windows Phone

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
We've already heard that apps will be able to have live tiles updated in 1 minute intervals rather than the 30 minutes Windows Phone is currently using. What I'm interested in though is if Microsoft will increase the limit for actively running background agents in Windows Phone 8.1. I haven't found any valuable information about this so far. Neither negative nor positive. I'm sure many of you have come across a notification that too many background agents are actively running and you need to disable one. I find this highly annoying, even though I understand the reason behind this limitation. With devices such as the Icon and the 1520 and more high specced devices coming soon, I feel MS could very well increase the number of agents allowed to run in the background.

What do you guys think? Have you heard anything about possible changes?

I hit the limit last night, it was 30 apps. Many were allowed to run without my knowledge so I had to check every single one.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I hit the limit last night, it was 30 apps. Many were allowed to run without my knowledge so I had to check every single one.

i kept only 5 for background task:
1. whatsapp
2. Insider Pro
3. Amazing weather HD
4. Battery Saver
5. Songza (nothing to do with the music. i like the flip tile)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos