03-26-2014 07:51 PM
45 12
tools
    Hey, I have the Lumia 920 and I was wondering do you put your phone on charge before you go to sleep every night even if it has not reached 0% or can that damage the battery?

Thanks!
    03-12-2014 12:03 AM
    I don't know if it damages battery or nor. But when mine shows less than 30% I'll just put it on charging plate overnight. I know if fills up quick, it takes about an hour to reach 100%, but I still leave it on the plate.. Got L928
    SoullessOnyx likes this.
    03-12-2014 12:10 AM
    I put it on charge every night even if it's on 100%, but nothing has happened to my 820. I don't think anything should happen.
    03-12-2014 12:14 AM
    Thanks both of you! =3
    RobinPaul and sahib lopez like this.
    03-12-2014 12:21 AM
    I've charged every smartphone I've ever owned every night and all night when I've gone to bed, and I've never had battery issues.
    03-12-2014 12:22 AM
    I charge my 920 on a wireless pad every night. Everything is OK after 16 months.
    03-12-2014 12:24 AM
    I've charged every smartphone I've ever owned every night and all night when I've gone to bed, and I've never had battery issues.
    Same here. This is exactly what I've always done. And no battery problems!
    03-12-2014 12:49 AM
    I have done the same as well. Just to insure 100% charging and maintaining the charge, once a month let the phone die completely, then let it charge the whole night. It's a great way to refresh and recalibrate the battery. I do that with my laptops as well.
    raycpl likes this.
    03-12-2014 01:42 AM
    Same here on charging overnight. Phones and tab get juiced up before sleeping. When I wake up, I simply use them. I don't bother if the percentage is still high when I charge them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    03-12-2014 01:50 AM
    I never recharge my L625 overnight and always feed with empty stomach...
    The following link may help you..
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Sent from my RM-941_im_india_204 using Tapatalk
    03-12-2014 02:05 AM
    The link actually shows you should ideally never let your battery discharge completely. Regularly charging even when the battery is still half full is best for longevity it seems.
    03-12-2014 02:33 AM
    The link actually shows you should ideally never let your battery discharge completely. Regularly charging even when the battery is still half full is best for longevity it seems.
    That is correct. Topping off the battery regularly is best.
    03-12-2014 02:38 AM
    Is it safe 2 use the phone like playing high graphics games( FIFA14,Asphalt,etc) while charging?? But the phone gets to hot in these cases..!!
    03-12-2014 02:40 AM
    Is it safe 2 use the phone like playing high graphics games( FIFA14,Asphalt,etc) while charging?? But the phone gets to hot in these cases..!!
    I don't play games, but I use Here Drive while my device is charging in my car.
    palandri likes this.
    03-12-2014 03:19 AM
    I'm assuming it doesn't heat up when off the charger and playing HGG. ?
    03-12-2014 03:26 AM
    It used to be an issue with NiCd and NiMH batteried, but our phones use Li-ion or Li-poly. The latter don't have memory effect like the former did, so it's safe to charge them whenever. It's even better to NOT let then discharge completely. If you have a wireless charger, it's completely safe to put it there even for only 5 minutes, and even 20 times a day :)

From wikipedia:

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like NiCd batteries.
    Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to empty (0%).
    According to one book[5], lithium ion batteries should not be frozen. Note that most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 C, which is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by most household freezers.
    Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[citation needed]
    When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery can be removed and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.[citation needed] (However, a notebook computer's battery prevents sudden loss of the data in memory during power failures and brownouts. Reasonable alternatives are the use of an older lithium ion battery or an external uninterruptible power supply.)

Further reading:
    http://askville.amazon.com/Lithium-I...questId=230741
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery..._Ion_Batteries
    03-12-2014 04:27 AM
    Additional insight with this thread too.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...questions.html
    03-12-2014 02:57 PM
    So I think the short answer to the title is, "Yes." It is indeed quite safe to charge your phone every night. I've done with all my phones over the years with no negative side effects.
    tgp and boovish like this.
    03-12-2014 04:42 PM
    Charging your phone every night will not damage its battery. I have a rule of not charging if my phone is over 50%, though.
    03-12-2014 04:46 PM
    Charging your phone every night will not damage its battery. I have a rule of not charging if my phone is over 50%, though.
    You should actually, with li-ion and li-poly batteries. They like to be topped up, even if you charge it when it's on 80% :)
    Dreamspell and BobLobIaw like this.
    03-12-2014 05:42 PM
    Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries perform at their best and last longest if they charged regularly, and suffer absolutely no ill effects if charged from more than 50%. So your rule is actually not useful in any way and serves no purpose.
    03-12-2014 09:20 PM
    YOU WILL NEVER DAMAGE THE BATTERY BY LEAVING IT ON THE CHARGER AT NIGHT! My 822 always went on the charger every night even thought it still had about 85% left. I still use that same battery, and the problems I've had with battery life was because of WP8 updates.
    03-13-2014 11:59 AM
    Any phone which has a Li-on battery which is Lithium ion battery will survive overnight charging or charging the phone back up from 50%. Old phones without Lithium ion battery's need to be wasted then recharged to not damage the battery.
    03-13-2014 02:28 PM
    While it is true that frequent charging will not harm the battery it is also true that a battery has a finite number of charges before it starts to lose its ability to hold a full charge. As to how many charges that is depends on a great deal of factors. I have heard its about 350/400, but its the one reason I only purchase phones that have removeable batteries. I had a old Nokia 6010 that I used for 7 years with the same battery, still have it. Still works; but the battery does not last very long any more. What can you expect after 7 years?
    03-13-2014 04:23 PM
    While it is true that frequent charging will not harm the battery it is also true that a battery has a finite number of charges before it starts to lose its ability to hold a full charge. As to how many charges that is depends on a great deal of factors. I have heard its about 350/400, but its the one reason I only purchase phones that have removeable batteries. I had a old Nokia 6010 that I used for 7 years with the same battery, still have it. Still works; but the battery does not last very long any more. What can you expect after 7 years?
    With Li-Ion and Li-polymer batteries it's not the number of charges that limits the life of the battery, but the total time spent charging. Therefore, charging twice from 75% is roughly equivalent to charging once from 50%. So charging more often doesn't tend to shorten the lifespan of the battery (unlike NiCad or NiMH batteries, where each charge cycle regardless of duration caused a degree of degradation).

And before anyone asks, no, charging overnight does not degrade the battery any more that charging to 100% and then disconnecting the charger. Li batteries can't be 'trickle' charged, so the charging circuitry simply stops charging when the battery reaches 100%.
    Laura Knotek and jbjtkbw007 like this.
    03-13-2014 06:04 PM
45 12