Microsoft Account Safety?

Tashan

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

As windows phone need a Microsoft account for using apps, the Store, Office, Skydrive and other services need no sign in but get instant access by tapping these apps to apply them. It's fast, comfortable and makes uploading and sharing of the office documents, movies, music and videos via skydive, simple and easy.

But, when I use apps like Whatsapp, and many other highly useful apps etc. I always fear of loosing my account details kept in windows phone being used or by any means hacked by these apps.

For example:
40dASwN.jpg

As you can see above, my (changed name to ABCD) skydrive contents remain there (no way to clear them) except they require internet connection to open or look at them..

So, my question, Can I use any apps without any fear of loosing my Microsoft account details?

I would wish to know how secured windows phone 8 is from these apps and are they restricted to access my MS account details completely or they may still by any chance get the id or password info stored on the phone?

Please share some tips on how to keep MS account protected on Windows Phone 8.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Unless the app is specifically asking for your account information I don't think you need to worry. You can look up the app online and see what it wants at The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)

Since apps are sandboxed they are less likely to cause your phone any issues. That's not saying there isn't rogue apps around but like I said, you should be aware of what an app wants when installing it. Also, MS is very much into security so I don't think any apps use your MS account unless you pass on those details.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I understood your question entirely and apologise if this isn't the answer you're looking for:

I think the only way is to lock and protect your entire phone with a password (setting - lock screen) because once you've linked your Microsoft account to your various Windows phone apps.....one drive, bing health, bing food & drink, bing news, bing travel, xbox video & music....have I missed any out :) its a one time setup and you should never need to input your MS account details again.

I guess the idea behind this is for ease of use. It's not really practical to have to login each time you open the app. I use one drive, bing news and bing health a couple of times a day at least. It would drive me nuts if I had to login every time.

Tashan

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Unless the app is specifically asking for your account information I don't think you need to worry. You can look up the app online and see what it wants at The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)

Since apps are sandboxed they are less likely to cause your phone any issues. That's not saying there isn't rogue apps around but like I said, you should be aware of what an app wants when installing it. Also, MS is very much into security so I don't think any apps use your MS account unless you pass on those details.

I always check the apps requirement and most of the App requires: phone identity and owner identity

Do these two requirements pose a threat or pass on the account information?
Because most popular/useful apps have these listed in the requirements list.

I'm not sure I understood your question entirely and apologise if this isn't the answer you're looking for:

I think the only way is to lock and protect your entire phone with a password (setting - lock screen) because once you've linked your Microsoft account to your various Windows phone apps.....one drive, bing health, bing food & drink, bing news, bing travel, xbox video & music....have I missed any out :) its a one time setup and you should never need to input your MS account details again.

I guess the idea behind this is for ease of use. It's not really practical to have to login each time you open the app. I use one drive, bing news and bing health a couple of times a day at least. It would drive me nuts if I had to login every time.

No, I'm not talking about the lock screen but the apps installed in the phone where my MS account details (ID and password) are stored.

Thank you for your responses. But, I'm yet not satisfied whether my account details will stay protected for sure. Hopefully, Microsoft will continue to improve on it. :)

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I got the impression they were thinking that other apps steal their account details somehow....

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, there are set API calls that app developers should use in order to authenticate to a user's Microsoft Account. These APIs do not allow the actual username/passwords to be accessible to the application itself, or to the developer.

I'm investigating this further, but in all the time I've used Windows Phone (since the start of WP7), I've never heard of any cases of apps being used to steal passwords or data through in-app phishing or intercepting data.

Tashan

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, there are set API calls that app developers should use in order to authenticate to a user's Microsoft Account. These APIs do not allow the actual username/passwords to be accessible to the application itself, or to the developer.

I'm investigating this further, but in all the time I've used Windows Phone (since the start of WP7), I've never heard of any cases of apps being used to steal passwords or data through in-app phishing or intercepting data.

Thanks for the response. Yes, there have been no such cases to my attention as well. I have set up 2-step verification, authenticator and apps password to remove any potential risks, if any.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99