I've spent a lot of time today online and on the phone with various MS entities trying to find out about Windows Phone 8 and BitLocker. It's mind numbing that there is nothing definitive anywhere. How does a consumer enable BitLocker? Some claim it's on by default, some say they have evidence to the contrary. One forum had someone confirm a home user subscription to Office365 doesn't do the job. In continuing my notion of possibly making a permanent jump to Windows Phone, I can only say I have a tinfoil hat built in at this point. I have to be able to encrypt my device memory. Does it have to be impossible to find out something so simple? None of these foreign MS phone ops can answer this. I really find this vaugeness bizarre :/
    03-12-2014 04:20 PM
    I don't think it's a consumer feature. You might want to explore the following site: Windows Phone for business | Security | Windows Phone (United States)
    03-13-2014 03:05 AM
    So that's all? Consumers can't encrypt their device memory? That's a shame :(
    03-13-2014 08:21 AM
    Relax. It is already supported in WP8 out of box. There is just no settings for end user to turn it on of off. It is totally relying on Exchange policy or device policy. There are ways to setup your own exchange server and policies to push it to your phone. You just need to turn it on once. Afterwards, your phone will be encrypted forever.
    03-13-2014 08:39 AM
    So that's all? Consumers can't encrypt their device memory? That's a shame :(
    They can if they run an Exchange server.
    03-13-2014 01:07 PM
    After all the time and various avenues I've been into now, that's pretty much what I've gathered. BlackBerry and Android both, you tap the respective settings and security menus and enable device encryption on the spot, WP on the other hand requires the complexity of setting up and running an Exchange server. Indeed I'm not convinced at present that this makes WP particularly standout for the data security oriented consumer. I guess we'll see if MS ever acts on that sort of thing or not, meanwhile, I believe i'll be staying where I am.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    03-13-2014 06:10 PM
    New Window 8.1 tablets are now shipped with encryption on by default. So, I assume you will see similar thing when WP 8.1 ships. Microsoft is very slow to adapt and learn. But it will get there eventually.
    03-13-2014 07:26 PM
    Would be good if Microsoft could add an option to Outlook.com which uses EAS to enable BitLocker etc. on WP. Would be a nice perk of using the two together.
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    03-13-2014 11:05 PM