What windows phone 8.1 has in stock for phablets.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I love the idea of a big Nokia, that gives me more room to read blogs when I surf, read all on-board pdf and doc files which can be crucial to my studies and work. I like a phone capable of helping me have a good times playing games when I am bored and have nothing to do. I love a phone with which I could watch all my 1080p HD movies on the go both indoors and out doors.

Despite that being a capability of the renowned Nokia phablet (Lumia 1520), its still mostly just another "over-sized" Nokia device (don't get my meaning of "over-sized wrong, as my ideal phone would be about 6").
SO far, there isn't any property exclusive to Nokia's tablet(s) like Samsung has with the s-pen.

With the huge screen size and specs, don't you think it should have some extra features? So far so good, I cant really say it utilizes its specs if it runs programs same as all other Nokia phones with less enticing specs.

What are your thoughts? I would like to hear especially from those who own a Nokia phablet.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
@Titanicology its not about getting to compared to Note 3, and there's no doubt Lumia 1520 has great specs and I am happy with it as well but don't you think considering the screen size and specifications, it should have features the differentiates it from ever other Nokia smartphone?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Since WP8.1 leaks didn't say anything about exclusive features for phablets, I assume that those will only come on a future version of the OS when WP and WRT are united...

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been using my Nokia 1520 for a few weeks, and based on this experience I would say, The hardware is capable of providing a Tablet-experience and functionality, but right now the Operative System and Apps are lagging behind.

This Phone not only have a huge screen, but also have a powerful SoC too. This little monster is actually capable of running a full-blown Desktop Windows 8.1, I would guess.

WP 8.0 have just recently provided support for 1920x1080 HD Resolution, but WP development team seams to have been taken by surprise, because they didn't do much else actually. WP 8.1 should provide functions for using this Phone as a Tablet, with functiones worthy of a real Phablet. It should also provide tools for App-developers to take advantage of the Tablet-side of this little monster.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately the snapdragon won't support full x86. But yes this phone is a monster and not talking about size :) I just hope 8.1 fixes the touch issues.

pphunkymunky

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What I want in WP8.1, is for the OS elements to scale properly to the resolution. I have only had my 1520 now for less than 24 hours but this thing looks like a fisher price toy with the OS. Even the smallest font size looks massive.

The pin unlock takes up half the screen and there is just no need for this. Better use of the screen real estate is what I am after.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
What I want in WP8.1, is for the OS elements to scale properly to the resolution. I have only had my 1520 now for less than 24 hours but this thing looks like a fisher price toy with the OS. Even the smallest font size looks massive.

The pin unlock takes up half the screen and there is just no need for this. Better use of the screen real estate is what I am after.
Hilarious ... I like your wording ... "Fisher Price toy" LOL ... That is exactly how i feel

Seriously, that is the only thing that bothers me, otherwise i enjoy the phone ... Wasting so much of display's real estate ... They should fix this ASAP, because without proper scaling the phone looks like a "Fisher Price toy" ... LOL ... Not sure what they were thinking ... I guess they thought their demographic is older folks ...

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I am satisfied with how thing appear on my phone, except for lack of 1080p support in games like Asphalt 8. I am okay with blown-up text because otherwise, I (or anybody else) would zoom in those small fonts even if they're crystal clear (thanks to 340+ ppi).

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I almost got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 until I heard about the Nokia Lumia 1520. The salesperson was demonstrating all the things that could be done with the Note's S-pen and all I could think was "this is really amazing... and I will never actually use any of these features." I'm happy with my 1520 the way it is but a think I might use snap view. I can definitely see being in one app and having music controls snapped to the top or bottom of the screen.

DaviUnic

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my 1520 the way it is but a think I might use snap view. I can definitely see being in one app and having music controls snapped to the top or bottom of the screen.

I'm pretty sure that if this isn't coming in 8.1 it'll surely come in one of the future updates once more WP phablets appear and Microsoft realizes their potential... :)

pphunkymunky

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I am satisfied with how thing appear on my phone, except for lack of 1080p support in games like Asphalt 8. I am okay with blown-up text because otherwise, I (or anybody else) would zoom in those small fonts even if they're crystal clear (thanks to 340+ ppi).

sure, but give those who like small text and want to make better use of screen real estate the option. allow a scaling slider as an accessibility option or even just a general setting. I personally don't like the fact that everything is just stretched out... the OS does a great job at scaling apps, i understand that apps will need to be upgraded to allow for the higher resolution, but the overall OS needs to be able to scale the elements accordingly... and this includes text

Last edited:

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I feel your concerns, y'all... However I can say that WP 8.1 has been subtly, but heavily, optimized for 1080p displays.

The new hub design within core apps and, eventually, third-party offerings is going to look proper and sophisticated. The header text has been shrunk significantly, meaning the People and Music hubs won't be dominated by the words "People" and "Music+Videos." A good 2" is taken up by the headers on my 1520!

ssxC3Jv.jpg

Speaking of the Music hub, did anyone notice the player controls on the Now Playing screen are now on the bottom! This is gonna be a huge usability improvement on my 1520.

Windows-Phone-8-1-Extensive-Screenshots-Gallery-and-Changelog-426202-3.jpg

I have confidence that this update will make our 1520's feel right at home..

pphunkymunky

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of the Music hub, did anyone notice the player controls on the Now Playing screen are now on the bottom! This is gonna be a huge usability improvement on my 1520.

think you'll find that is the xbox music app, it's had the player controls at the bottom of the screen since inception...

i really hope you're right about the scaling of the OS elements. I don't want a bigger screen with a stretched OS on it, i want it to fit nicely. as it is i can see that the player controls in the xbox music app are warped to fit into the resolution. you can see the stepping round the circles for the back/forward/play buttons... look closely, you'll see it too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb