Xbox Music -- Wow!

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a nasty overnight data problem on my Lumia 1520. It used 3 GB overnight while I was sleeping. This resulted in an overage ($15!) so I contacted AT&T and they asked me all the pertinent questions: Wi-Fi on? (Yes) Did you download any apps recently? (Yes, which probably caused the problem) They suggested I restore my phone, which I did.

Side note: They offered to call me in couple of days to see if it solved the problem and troubleshoot more if it didn't. Nice touch!

While I was restoring it, I got on my iPad and downloaded an album from iTunes.

Went back to the Lumia when it was done (it had restored all my apps and settings, except the start screen) and set up Xbox Music. It downloaded songs for a while, and when it was done, there was that new album I purchased from Apple!

Since all my songs in iTunes are MP3, and since I used the option in Xbox Music to use my iTunes library, it all became very seamless. I have to say I am very impressed with both Apple and Microsoft that their apps and cloud services work so well. Using Outlook.com on the iPad and entering a new contact, it shows up almost instantaneously on my Lumia. Add a calendar event on the phone, and it's on my tablet.

And I think I figured out the data issue -- it probably wasn't the phone's or AT&T's problem, but my desktop computer (Windows 8.1). Apparently, it turns off the Wi-Fi when it thinks it's asleep. The new app (Podcast Lounge) then went to town at 3 AM and downloaded a ton of episodes -- I probably had the settings wrong. Another case of PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).

Bottom Line: Xbox Music may not be quite as mature as iTunes, and it has its minor issues, but I am now a big fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss