The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-16-2014 08:25 PM
66 123
tools
    I am constantly amazed how short-sighted people are. It never stops.

Why do I need a smart watch when I have a smart phone?
    Why do I need a smart phone when I have a dumb phone?
    Why do I need a tablet when I have a computer?
    Why do I need a computer when I have a a typewriter?
    Why do I need a typewriter when I have paper and a pencil?
    Why do I need paper and pencil when I have a stone tablet and and a chisel?
    Why do I need to write anything down when I can talk?
    Why do I need to talk when I can just grunt?

Some people can see innovation and the future and some never will. When I first backed the Pebble on Kickstarter I could see amazing possibilities. Right now MS and WP8 are holding me back and not letting me even create my own smart watch experience. I hope WP8.1 will at least let me make my own possibilities happen.
    Last edited by badplanet; 03-22-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
    03-22-2014 09:07 AM
    I think MS is too disjointed internally to have a cohesive plan. Apple is certainly working on something, but they are being more tightlipped about. I expect anything with credibility will be very close to the actual release product.
    I can't argue with you about how disjointed it seems to us on the outside. MS is many different parts moving at different speeds and who knows how many mini kingdoms exist behind the walls of Redmond. And the politics of it all has to be one enormous challenge for a CEO, let along a new one. But that doesn't mean MS isn't focusing on trends in the smart watch arena. We simply don't know yet and we can't count them out. Many thought MS was finished after Kin. Now it is 3rd (albeit distant) in the smart phone market and the attacks are fierce.
    jleebiker likes this.
    03-22-2014 10:28 AM
    You can't rush them to come up with something to take over the markets LOL

But they do need to participate with these smart watches
    Rumours were spreading about the Xbox team at Microsoft who originally started work on a fitness-based wearable, but apparently that's now been moved to the Surface design team to finish. So we might see a smartwatch realistically from Microsoft in October!!
    03-22-2014 08:16 PM
    Rumours were spreading about the Xbox team at Microsoft who originally started work on a fitness-based wearable, but apparently that's now been moved to the Surface design team to finish. So we might see a smartwatch realistically from Microsoft in October!!
    Interesting. Why October? Do you have a source for the rumor?
    03-23-2014 07:32 AM
    Hopefully they can announce something in April at the build conference. How much lead time could they need to be aware of smart watches? Maybe they are thinking "Yea, we did that once. Nobody wants a smart watch."
    Last edited by badplanet; 03-23-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    03-23-2014 01:33 PM
    I am constantly amazed how short-sighted people are. It never stops.

Why do I need a smart watch when I have a smart phone?
    Why do I need a smart phone when I have a dumb phone?
    Why do I need a tablet when I have a computer?
    Why do I need a computer when I have a a typewriter?
    Why do I need a typewriter when I have paper and a pencil?
    Why do I need paper and pencil when I have a stone tablet and and a chisel?
    Why do I need to write anything down when I can talk?
    Why do I need to talk when I can just grunt?

Some people can see innovation and the future and some never will. When I first backed the Pebble on Kickstarter I could see amazing possibilities. Right now MS and WP8 are holding me back and not letting me even create my own smart watch experience. I hope WP8.1 will at least let me make my own possibilities happen.
    I think it's a valid question: Why do I need something that has to be connected to my phone which in turn might drain my battery? And run up my already expensive data plan? I think the idea is great, but I'll be more interested once the infantry stage has been passed
    03-24-2014 01:15 PM
    I think it's a valid question: Why do I need something that has to be connected to my phone which in turn might drain my battery? And run up my already expensive data plan? I think the idea is great, but I'll be more interested once the infantry stage has been passed
    Bluetooth 4.0 LE drains literally nothing. And why would a watch drain a data plan? Do you plan on downloading Titanfall onto your watch? :P

In all seriousness, the watch is an extension of any notifications the phone gets, so it wouldn't drain anymore data than the phone itself
    03-24-2014 01:36 PM
    Bluetooth 4.0 LE drains literally nothing. And why would a watch drain a data plan? Do you plan on downloading Titanfall onto your watch? :P

In all seriousness, the watch is an extension of any notifications the phone gets, so it wouldn't drain anymore data than the phone itself

Lol that's why I said might, being that I haven't fully researched this, but I think with data plans like the ones on AT&T and Verizon, it's something to possibly worry about if you're constantly tethering to another device right? Like I said, I haven't fully researched this but these are immediate questions that pop in my head and possibly other potential buyers. I also don't want something else to constantly remind me of notifications. I have my tablet and my phone to do that for me all the time
    03-24-2014 02:54 PM
    Wow!!! (For a couple of reasons)
    1) A device that is already making use of the Google APi's.
    2) This looks very sleek and stylish.

LG announces G Watch, powered by Android Wear | Android Central
    03-24-2014 04:26 PM
    And for those that don't "get it". This article was part of the Sunday morning broadcast of one of the longest running Sunday morning shows out there. They don't do "fluff" pieces. The take away here is not the specific devices they are talking about, but the fact that they are talking about these things in the first place.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smartwat...ut-****-tracy/
    03-24-2014 04:52 PM
    Lol that's why I said might, being that I haven't fully researched this, but I think with data plans like the ones on AT&T and Verizon, it's something to possibly worry about if you're constantly tethering to another device right? Like I said, I haven't fully researched this but these are immediate questions that pop in my head and possibly other potential buyers.
    Actually the smart watch does not "tether" to the phone like a laptop would. It just uses standard Bluetooth protocols. The wireless carrier would have no way to know you are connected to a smart watch. The connection is more like what your car has with a smart phone. The watch should not use more data other than what you phone uses unless you have chosen to send notifications from a service you would not use with just the phone.

I also don't want something else to constantly remind me of notifications. I have my tablet and my phone to do that for me all the time
    This is a personal choice that works for you. It would not make sense for someone to buy a smart watch it they don't want notifications on it as that is the best reason to get one. Of course a smart watch provides fitness info, music control and other functions but I think more convient and stealthy notifications are the killer feature.
    jleebiker likes this.
    03-24-2014 06:49 PM
    And add to all this. Google is getting creative (again). Talk about being innovative in their marketing:
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...59770701232200
    03-24-2014 08:47 PM
    Actually the smart watch does not "tether" to the phone like a laptop would. It just uses standard Bluetooth protocols. The wireless carrier would have no way to know you are connected to a smart watch. The connection is more like what your car has with a smart phone. The watch should not use more data other than what you phone uses unless you have chosen to send notifications from a service you would not use with just the phone.

This is a personal choice that works for you. It would not make sense for someone to buy a smart watch it they don't want notifications on it as that is the best reason to get one. Of course a smart watch provides fitness info, music control and other functions but I think more convient and stealthy notifications are the killer feature.
    My son has a smart watch from Samsung and it does too tether to the phone. Because he carries his ICON most of the time, the watch is less useful. Which is why he is giving it away.
    03-24-2014 09:02 PM
    My son has a smart watch from Samsung and it does too tether to the phone. Because he carries his ICON most of the time, the watch is less useful. Which is why he is giving it away.
    Except for standalone watch phones which are phones themselves (eg Neptune Pine) most smart watches connect to a smart phone via Bluetooth which does not require separate service from a carrier or a tethering add on. Most smart watches require a companion app on a smart phone to communicate via Bluetooth with the watch but that does not require wifi tethering.

My experience is with the Pebble and Sony smart watches. They talk exclusively over Bluetooth. At least the WP8 apps I have written for them work that way. My understanding is the Metawatch, Martian, Cookoo, Kreyos and Agent work the same way.

Since I have not used the Galaxy Gear and have not had experience with that watch, I certainly can not dispute your statement for that watch. For that watch I would be wrong.
    03-24-2014 10:53 PM
    @badplanet
    hi, from Kreyos here.
    yes, the Kreyos Meteor connects with BT 4.0 so it doesn't drain your phone's battery.
    we apologize for the delays, for now we are committed to shipping the Meteor this April. thanks.
    04-16-2014 12:41 AM
    Have many people tried integrating one of these smartwatches into their daily lives? I would be interested to know how practical they are or how much they are actually an annoyance. I seem to feel that it's probably more of the latter, although I haven't tried one out yet.
    11-16-2014 08:25 PM
66 123