Google smartwatch

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I really wish Microsoft was on top of this. I think the Metro design language is built for smart watches. It's clean, minimal, and easy to use. I would to have a smartwatch that integrates with my music playing on my phone, serves as a Cortana input, can read text messages, etc.

Especially the live tiles too. They could make the watch an extension of the tiles if they wanted to - one medium tile on WP/ four small tiles are quite well-sized for a watch

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
People arguing about the watch are thinking too physical. Think concept, spirit, Idea. :p

Please see this, its a watch, with Google Now. Again, a watch with Google "Now", Time, watch, it all fits as if its a jigsaw puzzle .

I don't know if it was a lucky shot, or they planned this from the very first beginning, but this is the most genuine idea Google gets out its sleeve.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
2013 was the year for smartphones
2014 is meant to be the year for smart wearables. Google is well into the game. They have Google glasses and now this.

They are surely leading the industry while Microsoft will just about catch up with 2013 on April 2nd, 2014.

Google glass will never take of, al because they refuse to lower the price

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So what i mean is cant you use a google watch with a MS device.

Not quite sure. Google has released a whole API. That's going to make the experience between phone and wearable VERY tight and seamless. MS will just have to make do. Bluetooth is a standard that is not owned by either so a basic set of features maybe available to MS.

The question is why isn't MS doing more in this arena? Clearly, there's a demand for it. If MS is concerned with exploring new market share, here's a perfect opportunity to get into something.

soundscan9800

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to step on the gas with innovation. I love everything Microsoft but Google is seriously beating them to the market with great products. Android Wear is proof. Microsoft needs to start investing in or acquiring startups with great tech and immediately integrate them into their teams. Google does that well. I for one hope 2014 will see Microsoft making more waves.

PS - I actually liked this concept.

Lumia Smart Watch - YouTube

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Even if kid's toy - it is out there. What has Microsoft got? If it does go mainstream end of this year or next year - Microsoft has another catch up to play. It has hardly caught up on smartphones, nowhere near watches or glasses and it's revamped Windows 8.x is still struggling to convince the loyal masses + Xbox One is struggling against PS4.

All in all, it looks like Microsoft keeps getting pushed on back foot in innovations. If that continues, there will be markets after markets that Google would have reached when Microsoft turns up to those, they will be as saturated as smartphone market is currently.

What does that mean? That means forget about that ecosystem dream it is chasing because that will only happen if it is leading or at least competing in all those fields instead of playing catch up. Only place Google is catching up is desktop OS and Office solutions discounting enterprise on Windows 7 who won't switch.

I can't argue with a lot of that because we both have eyes. I can't tell at this point if MS has its priorities in those area yet. I was proud to finally see them bring a tablet to the market. But it seems they are almost reluctant, even resistant to doing things outside of what we know them for. Once 8.1 drops however, we'll see if MS can make a move in wearables, watches, glasses for medical, (which is the only place I can see google glass going that make sense.) Microsoft moves at its own speed no matter how much I want stuff. lol And I wouldn't get caught up in this horse race since all this snit changes weekly. Besides, Microsoft doesn't seem to be worried, so why should we?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You can't rush them to come up with something to take over the markets LOL

But they do need to participate with these smart watches

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
glasses for medical, (which is the only place I can see google glass going that make sense.)

The military was experimenting with a similar device for helping with maintenance functions. Techs wore a lightweight PC that had tech diagrams and they could line up what was on the HUD with the actual part they were working on. It was a wire-frame diagram and they could use it to compare and contrast what it SHOULD look like. Saved the Tech countless hours from carrying paper with them or constantly running back and forth for addl docs.

It's THIS kind of thinking that MS has lost.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The military was experimenting with a similar device for helping with maintenance functions. Techs wore a lightweight PC that had tech diagrams and they could line up what was on the HUD with the actual part they were working on. It was a wire-frame diagram and they could use it to compare and contrast what it SHOULD look like. Saved the Tech countless hours from carrying paper with them or constantly running back and forth for addl docs.

It's THIS kind of thinking that MS has lost.
Yeah, so we should just end all discussion on the matter where MS is concerned. No way MS has the wherewithal to get in the smartwatch game. / end sarcasm.
But I have a question, didn't google just get in the game? Sammy had it before and not google so why do you think MS is out of the game? Especially when not many own a "smart watch". We have yet to hear from Apple, which is surely working on one or even two.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I think MS is too disjointed internally to have a cohesive plan. Apple is certainly working on something, but they are being more tightlipped about. I expect anything with credibility will be very close to the actual release product.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am constantly amazed how short-sighted people are. It never stops.

Why do I need a smart watch when I have a smart phone?
Why do I need a smart phone when I have a dumb phone?
Why do I need a tablet when I have a computer?
Why do I need a computer when I have a a typewriter?
Why do I need a typewriter when I have paper and a pencil?
Why do I need paper and pencil when I have a stone tablet and and a chisel?
Why do I need to write anything down when I can talk?
Why do I need to talk when I can just grunt?

Some people can see innovation and the future and some never will. When I first backed the Pebble on Kickstarter I could see amazing possibilities. Right now MS and WP8 are holding me back and not letting me even create my own smart watch experience. I hope WP8.1 will at least let me make my own possibilities happen.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think MS is too disjointed internally to have a cohesive plan. Apple is certainly working on something, but they are being more tightlipped about. I expect anything with credibility will be very close to the actual release product.

I can't argue with you about how disjointed it seems to us on the outside. MS is many different parts moving at different speeds and who knows how many mini kingdoms exist behind the walls of Redmond. And the politics of it all has to be one enormous challenge for a CEO, let along a new one. But that doesn't mean MS isn't focusing on trends in the smart watch arena. We simply don't know yet and we can't count them out. Many thought MS was finished after Kin. Now it is 3rd (albeit distant) in the smart phone market and the attacks are fierce.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
You can't rush them to come up with something to take over the markets LOL

But they do need to participate with these smart watches

Rumours were spreading about the Xbox team at Microsoft who originally started work on a fitness-based wearable, but apparently that's now been moved to the Surface design team to finish. So we might see a smartwatch realistically from Microsoft in October!!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Rumours were spreading about the Xbox team at Microsoft who originally started work on a fitness-based wearable, but apparently that's now been moved to the Surface design team to finish. So we might see a smartwatch realistically from Microsoft in October!!

Interesting. Why October? Do you have a source for the rumor?

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully they can announce something in April at the build conference. How much lead time could they need to be aware of smart watches? Maybe they are thinking "Yea, we did that once. Nobody wants a smart watch."

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am constantly amazed how short-sighted people are. It never stops.

Why do I need a smart watch when I have a smart phone?
Why do I need a smart phone when I have a dumb phone?
Why do I need a tablet when I have a computer?
Why do I need a computer when I have a a typewriter?
Why do I need a typewriter when I have paper and a pencil?
Why do I need paper and pencil when I have a stone tablet and and a chisel?
Why do I need to write anything down when I can talk?
Why do I need to talk when I can just grunt?

Some people can see innovation and the future and some never will. When I first backed the Pebble on Kickstarter I could see amazing possibilities. Right now MS and WP8 are holding me back and not letting me even create my own smart watch experience. I hope WP8.1 will at least let me make my own possibilities happen.

I think it's a valid question: Why do I need something that has to be connected to my phone which in turn might drain my battery? And run up my already expensive data plan? I think the idea is great, but I'll be more interested once the infantry stage has been passed

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a valid question: Why do I need something that has to be connected to my phone which in turn might drain my battery? And run up my already expensive data plan? I think the idea is great, but I'll be more interested once the infantry stage has been passed

Bluetooth 4.0 LE drains literally nothing. And why would a watch drain a data plan? Do you plan on downloading Titanfall onto your watch? :p

In all seriousness, the watch is an extension of any notifications the phone gets, so it wouldn't drain anymore data than the phone itself

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth 4.0 LE drains literally nothing. And why would a watch drain a data plan? Do you plan on downloading Titanfall onto your watch? :p

In all seriousness, the watch is an extension of any notifications the phone gets, so it wouldn't drain anymore data than the phone itself

Lol that's why I said might, being that I haven't fully researched this, but I think with data plans like the ones on AT&T and Verizon, it's something to possibly worry about if you're constantly tethering to another device right? Like I said, I haven't fully researched this but these are immediate questions that pop in my head and possibly other potential buyers. I also don't want something else to constantly remind me of notifications. I have my tablet and my phone to do that for me all the time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss