Could there ever be a physical keyboard WP phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I love the look of live tiles on my Windows 8.1 laptop and since I am using the outlook services and Onedrive, I would like to unite everything and go for Windows Phone as well.

and I originally thought about going with a 1020.

But as I near my university graduation, things got really hectic, and I ended up typing on my phone a lot more than I used to. And after trying the physical keyboard on the Blackberry Q10, other touch screen keyboards simply could not compare.

I think physical keyboard on a WP phone could make sense as Windows Phone is starting to be more business friendly.

Anyways, one can only dream :)

Woknox

Developer
Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe if Blackberry ever will run Windows Phone on their devices :wink:

personally I never missed it,.. I had a nokia n900 with a pretty good keyboard and I dont experience the virtual keyboards as uncomfortable.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
In the days of WP7, there were some phones with a slide out physical keyboard - the dell venue pro and LG quantum

Dell-venue-pro.jpg

lg_quantum_02.jpg

Phones with physical KBs would certainly be welcomed in the business market, but I guess there is negligible demand for them in the consumer market nowadays

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I just switched fron a BlackBerry Q10 to a Lumia 1020, U still use the Berry as a secondary phone. Getting used to the virtual keyboard isn't really easy for me, and I still miss the physical keyboard for precission and actual tactile feedback.

I'd also like to buy a Windows Phone which features a physical QWERTY.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The physical keyboard is pretty much going the way of the Dodo. You may see it on legacy devices, but pretty much all new smartphones regardless of OS are soft keyboard only.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why?
A physical keyboard would drive costs up.

I did like the keyboard when I had the BB Curve and liked it quite a bit.
Not much need now as far as my UnimportantOpinoin is concerned.

I think high resolution screens, non-glitchy virtual keyboards and voice input will be the standard for the short term future of these devices.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not certain but I thought I read somewhere that WP8 (or maybe it was 8.1) supports a BT keyboard. Seems like that might be the best solution, get one of the little foldable ones that pack up into a space about the size of your phone and pull it out when you need to type more.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I used physical keyboards on 4 different smartphones Nokia E62, Nokia E71, BlackBerry 9000 and BlackBerry 9700. Now that I've been using virtual keyboards for 2 years, I can type faster than I ever could on those old devices.

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I miss my Dell Venue Pro so much.. It had great physical keyboard... Actually even touch screen was so fluid... I loved it so much that i gifted it to my cousin when i upgraded to wp8... But THAT WAS BETTER... fed up with screen freeze of L720..... I can't remember single screen stuck up issue in entire 14-15 months with dell venue pro... If you are happy with wp7.8 , dell venue pro still available online on some site... I promise it's 512 mb Ram is smoother than 1gb Ram of Nokia line up.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I miss my Dell Venue Pro so much.. It had great physical keyboard... Actually even touch screen was so fluid... I loved it so much that i gifted it to my cousin when i upgraded to wp8... But THAT WAS BETTER... fed up with screen freeze of L720..... I can't remember single screen stuck up issue in entire 14-15 months with dell venue pro... If you are happy with wp7.8 , dell venue pro still available online on some site... I promise it's 512 mb Ram is smoother than 1gb Ram of Nokia line up.

That really was a great early Windows Phone, one of the best. Too bad Dell dropped out of the phone business after that. :/

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If BlackBerry ever goes out of business in future, it will open up markets for physical keyboard phones, and other manufacturers could jump in. And considering that Nokia is currently doing a keyboard phone with their Asha and they have done good keyboard phones in the past, I think they could do a keyboard phone in future as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo