Cheap used WP8 suggestion

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Alright here is my deal, I'm getting a new phone most likely in May, possibly June. I currently have a Lumia 900 with WP7.8. I have some issues with it, WP7.8 not the lumia, and at current am not planning on getting another WP device. However, I've enjoyed the Lumia and to an extent WP. The issues that bug me the most (no being able to create folders and group apps like on iOS, app selection, issues connecting to MS Exchange, etc...) are not total deal breakers. The way MS has handled WP as a whole is more of an issue. Anyhow, back on track.... I don't like android at all and iOS would just be the lesser of the evils choice for me as I really don't love it either. I wouldn't mind giving 8 a try but obviously the 900 cannot get it and I don't want to get stuck in a contract just to try it out ( I know I could return it but cell companies are pains about restocking and other fees). I don't know anybody with an 8 device so I can't check one out there and hate going into phone stores to try things out as you tend to get more of a sales pitch type feel to the experience as opposed to an actual trial. So, what I was thinking was to purchase a cheap used WP8 device and then switch sim cards for a week or so and see if I like it any more than 7.8. With that said, I don't have much cash to spend and would like to get a cheap but quality wp8 experience if possible. Essentially I don't want a crap phone to mess up the impression.

Are there any phones that are pretty inexpensive that will still give me a good 8 test experience?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I picked up an AT&T Go Phone (Lumia 520) for $39.00 at Amazon brand new. Even if you're not on AT&T you could try it out for the purchase price plus one month of service. Here's a link.
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories
It's up to $59.00 now but still a good deal. I'm using mine as a media player because I have a 822 on Verizon. The 520 received the Black update (ironically before my 822 did) and is a nice little device. Might be a good way to dip your toe in the WP8 waters.

crazy elf

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
To tell you the honest to good straight truth I have up until recently every major OS, blackberry z10 LG g2 iPhone 4s and now Nokia Lumia 1520 WP. Each has its merits, android with its customization, ios with its security and sheep following and BlackBerry that's,,, well falling, falling, falling. I feel I like BlackBerry the best not only for security reasons but I like the slide away tiles and the hub... But back to this Lumia 1520, to tell you the truth I am enjoying it more everyday and as I learn more about it and the do's and can't I like it even more. The processor speed is phenomenal and the HD is HD. As far as coming from windows 7.8 to 8 I know that it has been pretty much reworked and new look. And as we speak 8.1 has just been acknowledged from Microsoft by their blunder for the 8.1 glance screen. Which I have read has dome great new enhancements'. Especially the new assistant. My thing with Android is every other month your phone isn't relevant any longer. The build quality if the windows 8 os at least for me leaves me wanting nothing. There are a few apps I miss like my drippler app and AnNews app but other than those two all the apps I had on android has an equivalent or something close. The app count for WP is what 150 thousand. I'm not a salesman or anything even remotely close but I can tell you that the WP 8 has definitely made me a believer. This of course is my own opinion but coming from someone who has used each OS as a daily driver should carry a little water, even if my cup has a few small holes.... Good luck on your search.......

Sent from my big red Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Try a 520/521/525.

If it were after me, try getting at least a L620, to get a feel of how insanely useful and fun the Glance Screen feature is. Even if you were to get one of these devices, they would run much better than your L900 and you'll see you'd have a much larger selection of apps.

Anyway, if you want to get a new device in May/June, you should at least check out how WP8.1 fares and what new phones releasing with it are like. (there is an app for Folder now on WP8 and you can use apps to sort your Start Screen out, if you find this satisfying for your app groups needs)

crazy elf

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
See you taught me something new right there. The folder app is exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks. Learn something new everyday about this phone, and the more I learn the less likely I will buy any other phone but a windows phone. Especially with 8.1 right around the corner for the 1520. Thanks again.

Sent from my big red Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon