Will wp 8.1 support it blaster?

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Right now I have an iPhone 5 and I have decided that my next phone will have an ir blaster. The TV remote in our house is forever getting lost. I was wondering if windows phone will get ir blaster support in next update. The galaxy note 3 has one but the Lumia 1520 does not. Right now I am leaning towards switching to android and getting the new htc one. Come on Microsoft! Add support for ir blaster!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
IR is no longer used. I don't see any need for it. And WP probably supports IR, but nobody makes phones with a IR transmitter/reciever.
Also, soon TVs will also have voice commands (if not already) so remotes will be preety useless.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
IR is no longer used. I don't see any need for it. And WP probably supports IR, but nobody makes phones with a IR transmitter/reciever.
Also, soon TVs will also have voice commands (if not already) so remotes will be preety useless.

Have you actually used those TVs? They're horrible.

And there are at least 2 smartphones I know of that have an IR transmitter - the HTC One and Galaxy Note 3. Also, the Xbox One uses IR signals to control the other devices, like TV, DVR, etc. IR is most definitely still alive. Don't make mindless comments without sufficient data.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't said it's dead 100%, and also that's just my oppinion.
But I just don't see Nokia making a new WP with IR just so you can controll your XBox.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

IR is no longer used? Where do you get your info ? Everything still uses IR, cable boxes, Dish boxes (some are selectable to use IR or RF), new TVs, even the Xbox has a IR jack on it.

If you want to see if a remote is using IR (this is great for checking if the batteries are good too), Take your phone, enable the camera, Point the remote at the back of your phone, look at your phone, push a button on the remote, if you see a light blinking, then it's a IR remote.

The phones with a IR blaster on it have PLENTY of Apps to use your phone as a remote. I used to have this on Windows Mobile with a cool app, I would go to a bar, sit across the room and change the channels on the TV with my PDA/Phone. It's great even just for that....

And Personally, I would rather hit a button on a remote than trying to change channels with my voice...I would find it a lot easier to use...maybe it's just me..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel