I'm looking at Data Sense and noticing the disclaimer "*As measured by your phone. Your carrier's data usage measurement may differ." Well, Data Sense says that I've used 1.02GB of data, but Verizon claims I've used 2.763GB! I understand that the numbers won't match up perfectly, but that's a HUGE discrepancy! What would cause the numbers to be so off? I feel like the phone is more trustworthy than Verizon, but I know that if I call they'll just tell me that Data Sense is wrong, just an estimate, blah blah blah. I doubt there's anything I can do here, but I would just like an understanding of how this works because it's a bit disconcerting. What's the point of Data Sense when the numbers are so far off?
    03-21-2014 10:27 AM
    The point is that the numbers are rarely off by much.
    The worst case is that Verizon is being evil.
    But still, call them and talk about it, they may give you the benefit. I've heard of that happening.
    I trust Data Sense, even as ATT removed it from their US ROM.
    Your case is an exception, not the norm, thankfully.
    TheJoester09 likes this.
    03-21-2014 10:31 AM
    The point is that the numbers are rarely off by much.
    The worst case is that Verizon is being evil.
    But still, call them and talk about it, they may give you the benefit. I've heard of that happening.
    I trust Data Sense, even as ATT removed it from their US ROM.
    Your case is an exception, not the norm, thankfully.
    Thanks for the response. When you say you've heard of that happening, do you mean that they can adjust the data usage on their end, or what? What kind of action do they take?
    03-21-2014 10:56 AM
    Well I just spoke with someone at Verizon's customer service. She clearly didn't know anything about Data Sense, or Windows Phone in general (surprise, surprise...), and basically said what I thought she'd say: "I can't comment on Data Sense, but Verizon tracks data accurately." I said that I trust Data Sense more because it's an impartial app, whereas Verizon would actually benefit from me using too much data, and her response was "that's your opinion, and I can accept that." That was basically it...useless. I probably could have pushed the issue further, but I'm nowhere near my data limit (yet, anyway), and I don't have the time to fight an uphill battle.

Moral of the story: Verizon is perfect, so don't bother challenging them.

Thanks for your help anyway, xandros.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-21-2014 11:38 AM
    Obviously Verizon is the one sending out your bill each month. I just use the "my Verizon" link to see all my usage. Its updated pretty fast and seemingly very accurate. Is that the one your using to compare? I wouldn't rely solely on a third party data counter.
    03-21-2014 12:04 PM
    Obviously Verizon is the one sending out your bill each month. I just use the "my Verizon" link to see all my usage. Its updated pretty fast and seemingly very accurate. Is that the one your using to compare? I wouldn't rely solely on a third party data counter.
    Yeah, I'm comparing Data Sense to the My Verizon app.
    03-21-2014 12:12 PM
    Hmm... On my phone, Data Sense says I have 215MB used. When I check with #932# on my phone (T-Mobile 925 here), it says I've used 211.89MB. Close enough.
    03-21-2014 12:23 PM
    Are you on a shared data plan? Because the home page of the my Verizon app shows the total usage. If you click on the shared data tab you will be able to see your data usage for your specific device.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-21-2014 12:29 PM
    Are you on a shared data plan? Because the home page of the my Verizon app shows the total usage. If you click on the shared data tab you will be able to see your data usage for your specific device.
    Yeah, I am on a shared plan, but I'm definitely looking at my specific usage.
    03-21-2014 02:54 PM