Are you satisfied with WP8?

xoxoGeorges

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
So many things make me believe that my 925 is the best phone I had (next to my E75 ofc.)

The glance screen, toast notifications, the UI, the Keyboard, the ease of use, the cohesive apps, Office, OneNote. I'm definitely looking so much forward to WP8.1, I can bet money that it'll be ten times better.

I will stop talking about myself, what about you? Are you enjoying your WP?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Very satisfied.

Geriatric disclaimer*
Please understand I'm not very fluent with apps or device features.
I think my age is causing confusion if not laziness.
I have to read and study everything to find solutions.

Some of the things pointed out as problems with the OS confuse me because I'm not a power type user.
As time passes I find little things that make life with a smartphone intriguing.

For instance the "people" app.
I was somewhat confused about saving or creating contacts until noticing it was the all inclusive place for calls, texting and details for contacts.
(Since I don't have pics for most of my contacts I just use cartoons, celebrities or goofy clipart for people and friends)

Some folks seem to be afraid of creating the Microsoft account for backup services and instant uploading I find it invaluable especially when switching phones.
Also the linked inboxes have been one of my favs especially with Yahoo mail the mail client never allows crappy spam or junk mail.
I never check Yahoo webmail online because of the crapmail that seems to plague my inbox there.

WP8 has been an enjoyable adventure for me it's even better with a top of the line Nokia device.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Very satisfied with WP8. There are things I want for my phone that are arriving in the 8.1 refresh but for me, I'm pleased. I'm also feeling the new ICON. My son has one and it is truly nice. Unfortunately it sits on Verizon but I'm on AT&T. I need my AT&T speeds. But I do like the device.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Very satisfied.
WP8 has been an enjoyable adventure for me it's even better with a top of the line Nokia device.

Ah, a proud and content L520 owner :)
Just kidding
But wat you just stated i concur.
Just use the possibilities the Phone/wp8x provides and you wil have no troubles unlike some 3th partyapps.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's okay. I'm disappointed in plenty of things: the terrible Office suite which didn't improve since 7.0, the stupid 30 minute background task limitation which cripples live tiles, the lack of apps... But I love the design, the smoothness, and I see the potential the OS has, if only Microsoft would hurry up and update it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's okay. I'm disappointed in plenty of things: the terrible Office suite which didn't improve since 7.0, the stupid 30 minute background task limitation which cripples live tiles, the lack of apps... But I love the design, the smoothness, and I see the potential the OS has, if only Microsoft would hurry up and update it.

Your opinion is basically the same as mine. In WP's current state I think it's behind the competition, but it has potential. Hopefully WP8.1 will close the gap, or at least make it smaller.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Somewhat satisfied. I still think, in retrospect, the Lumia 920 was the best phone I could have gotten at the time (and a few months later, the HTC One would have made that a much tougher decision). Unfortunately, while there's a lot to like about WP8, some things are just maddening.

It's odd that you say toast notifications are one of the highlights for you, because they are one of the most maddening shortcomings for me. Both my nexus 7 and my work iphone make it extremely easy to see a list of missed notifications, whereas my 920 falls short. On top of the lack of a notification history, the app gap means that some apps trail so far behind ios/android that they have no notifications, if they're there at all. Other apps seemingly have no connection between toast, tile, and app data.

I also find a big lack of cohesiveness in apps. For example, on both ios and android, if i open a link to something like instagram or zillow, it will ask if I want the app or the site, but WP8 only gives me the site. It seems like a lot more WP apps dump you into the full site for things that are included in the ios/android apps.

When they work, tiles blow away android widgets (and apple's abject refusal to allow dynamic info), and a few of the best make up for the lack of a notification center, but for the most part the 30 minute delays and lack of quality apps/tiles makes it hard to see that as a selling point.

The keyboard is better than iphone, but not as good as android's speedy swype. I'm really hoping that upgrade in 8.1, along with a fix of the broken notification/tile system, and Cortana are good enough to stick with windows phone

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Very satisfied.

Geriatric disclaimer*
Please understand I'm not very fluent with apps or device features.
I think my age is causing confusion if not laziness.
I have to read and study everything to find solutions.

Some of the things pointed out as problems with the OS confuse me because I'm not a power type user.
As time passes I find little things that make life with a smartphone intriguing.

For instance the "people" app.
I was somewhat confused about saving or creating contacts until noticing it was the all inclusive place for calls, texting and details for contacts.
(Since I don't have pics for most of my contacts I just use cartoons, celebrities or goofy clipart for people and friends)

Some folks seem to be afraid of creating the Microsoft account for backup services and instant uploading I find it invaluable especially when switching phones.
Also the linked inboxes have been one of my favs especially with Yahoo mail the mail client never allows crappy spam or junk mail.
I never check Yahoo webmail online because of the crapmail that seems to plague my inbox there.

I'm a very similar use to you. WP8 is so much more intuitive to me than Android. I have no experience with IOS. I use the combined email box all the time. People, Photos, At Bat and other apps are easy to use and make life so much easier for me.

Looking forward to the upcoming update.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not. I'm very excited for 8.1 but if it wasn't for the leaks, I might have jumped ship by now. I'm looking very forward to the notification list and separate volume controls. Those two missing items have been rubbing me the wrong way for quite some time now. Plus, I think I might be getting tile-weary. I've been using Windows Phone exclusively since the very beginning. If it wasn't for 8.1, I'm pretty sure I'd be rocking a Nexus 5 right now. Even then, it wouldn't surprise me if an 8.1 phone is my last WP for awhile.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Really satisfied with lumia 920 . Only bad feeling is the shortage of apps in wp8 store. Waiting since last 1 year for the ecosystem to improve. I will be happy if there is a faster improvement in the app ecosystem of wp8 store.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Really satisfied with lumia 920 . Only bad feeling is the shortage of apps in wp8 store. Waiting since last 1 year for the ecosystem to improve. I will be happy if there is a faster improvement in the app ecosystem of wp8 store.
What apps?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am very satisfied so far with WP but 8.1 will be a most upgrade which will improve even farther the experience. I am also looking to see if the release of 8.1 will make google jump on the ship and start making apps. I am looking forward to a Google plus app made by Google.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Being my first smartphone, I really don't have much to compare to. That being said, I feel I made a wise choice in that I am happy with what I have. Of course there are one or two very specific apps that I would love to have, and am not sure if they are coming to WP or not, but it is not something I am going to switch ecosystems for.

Vardhan Shrivastava

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This isnt even my phone ( my roomate's) but I love it....every aspect bt the battery backup...all the apps are here to cater to my needs...great games..beautyful ui....ys the notification front needs some work...its getting bttr in 8.1.... Post using 920

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
WP8 lacks some key features and the app selection still lacks. WP8.1 should address the OS issues only time and interest will improve the apps. Hardware wise and the built in office features makes WP devices a must for me.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 820 is my 1st smartphone.

Up until the Galaxy S2, I wasn't even away there were OS wars. I knew nothing about Android (and I think GS2 made Android the relevant thing it is today). Blackberries were some horrible, complex phones for companies, iPhones were slick devices with insane price tags and Nokia's Symbian was the best, most versatile OS for all I knew in 2007 leading to 2011.

To be honest, I never thought I'd need a smartphone. Until 2012 I didn't even know Windows Phone existed. I knew about Windows Mobile somewhat, but I thought it was the same convoluted thingy meant for companies, the same Blackberries were. Anyway, in 2012 I found out about the Lumia 800 and Lumia 900 and I was in love. As I said, iPhone were way to expensive and Android phone all looked the same. Also read that they were way too much trouble to maintain. They I saw how fool-proof Windows Phone were and how overall fast they were and I knew what I wanted. Unfortunately both were too expensive for what I could get (carrier locked with a monthly/annual plan were a no-go).

In September 2013 I wanted to buy a L720, but went for the L820 for the better specs. I absolutely love the OS. Being my 1st smartphone, I don't what I'm missing from iOS 7 or Kitkat. I love the fluidity of the OS. I love how FAST everything is and how nothing ever lags. I am extremely happy that most developers follow the design guides and everything is so coherent. Every app that I need is here. If I feel I miss something, I know the official app is on the horizon or a 3rd party app is already here. Most games I want are on the platform and the OS has more games available that I would play anyway. As for apps, I think Facebook SHOULD be way faster than it is and I think EVERY developer should develop their apps/games for 256/512 MB devices, because that would help apps/games perform better across all devices. Also Skype is WAY behind in loading/resuming speeds and features compared to iOS/Android versions. I love OneDrive and Office, too bad Microsoft really didn't bother improving Office on WP8 compared to WP7. Maybe I've not read enough, but I think it is the same thing, except some different icons and I would hope some more options coming to it soon.

As in all ... way happy with WP8. I would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss